Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I allowed to open carry my Glock 36 with a round in the chamber?

Am I allowed to open carry my Glock 36 with a round in the chamber?

sorry if this aint the right part of the forum to post this in. but my question is am i allowed to open carry my glock 36 with a round in the chamber? i open carry it all the time but I do not have a round in the chamber. I live in virginia. any imput would help, thanks.

Exclamation

Yes.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jefft2905 View Post
    sorry if this aint the right part of the forum to post this in. but my question is am i allowed to open carry my glock 36 with a round in the chamber? i open carry it all the time but I do not have a round in the chamber. I live in virginia. any imput would help, thanks.
    Why in the WORLD would you not carry it with a round chambered? Do you like the idea of carrying a hammer in your holster? You do realize that is what you have if you lose the use of your 'off' hand, right? If you carry a pistol, you should be able to shoot with either hand (unsupported). You should practice with both hands, supported; weak hand, unsupported; strong hand, unsupported and all combinations in between. There is even a way to chamber a round while holding a pistol with one hand and not using the other hand to do so, but I won't discuss it here... This method is an advanced technique and best taught by a qualified instructor WITHOUT AMMUNITION present.

I won't continue my rant with how much dry-firing (practicing without ammunition) you should do (an hour a day). Those that know me know my two favorite subjects are safety and realistic practice. I won't get "spun up" on them now...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

You are certainly allowed, and if you are not experienced in doing so you can practice with snap-caps to assure you are holstering correctly and soforth. Research 'glock-leg'

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No limitation or restriction regarding "fully loaded" in Va.

Wouldn't think of driving my truck with 3 wheels either and I like a full tank of gas.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You wouldn't want an ambulance to have no gas in the tank when a call comes in, would you?

Keep that sucker loaded whenever you OC, which should be often!

The only places I know of where OC has to be done with an empty chamber are Israel and California. Hmmmm. The Cali part I can understand (they probably HAVE a law against gas in ambulances; can't be too careful, you know) but the Israel part I don't.

California OPEN CARRY?

I thought I read recently that OC in California was recently BANNED? Is this true? How very sad!!! can anyone verify this or is it just someone trying to get it repealed?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    I thought I read recently that OC in California was recently BANNED? Is this true? How very sad!!! can anyone verify this or is it just someone trying to get it repealed?
    They are trying to get a law passed banning UOC (Unloaded Open Carry) which would de facto create CC as the only allowable carry. But then we know how often CCW permits are approved in the populated areas of Californiastan. Go read the California forum for the sad news.

stay safe.

Carrying without a round chambered turns your gun into an expensive club.

I never carry without "one in ther pipe".

My father in law carries concealed without one in the pipe. When I asked him why he said for safety sake. He's not real smart....

Well, to each his own, I always say...,

but like my buddy VaTazdad, mine always go around with "one up the pipe", "stacked and racked", however you want to put it. To my way of thinking, unless there is some legal obligation that requires an empty chamber in order to carry, there are just way too many good reasons for keeping a pistol that you are carrying OC/CC ready to fire.

MSC 45ACP makes excellent points. Since I started carrying, I've learned how to drop a magazine, load a new magazine, rack it or chamber another round (even if it didn't hold at slide lock on the last round) and engage again in just a matter of seconds, and all that using only my weak hand. I can even break down my pistol and put it back together again in a few minutes, again just using my weak hand. I hope that I never have to do that for any reason, but if I do, I know how, and I know that I can, and I don't have to spend precious time trying to figure it out. Challenge yourself, learn it, know it, live it, and ALWAYS practice these things without live ammo!

IMHO, carrying without one "in the spout" is also a safety issue, meaning that if you have not seriously, seriously practiced drawing and firing from that condition, when the SHTF you run the risk of a jam or malfunction at a critical time, and could very well blow some of your fingers off.

I also think that not carrying with "one in the pipe" for safety suggest to me that one is not confident in or comfortable with their own skills and/or firearm. Just sayin'...

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

I carried that way for a while

Then I woke up to the realization that my hands are often full. I cannot rely on having my left hand to rack the slide when I need to draw my pistol. Round is always chambered nowdays. Sometimes you just have to expand your comfort zone. PRACTICE!

If you are worried about the lack of a safety ...

... on your G36 while carrying with one in the pipe, you might want to consider a SiderLock.

http://www.siderlock.com/?section=features

i would like to ask this question with a twist. is there a potential problem with carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber?

Jefft2905 is there some information , or reason you would think you couldn't carry in VA?
    Last edited by papa bear; 06-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

first off, welcome to OCDO

Since nobody else said it yet...
    Guys, remember your manners! And in VA, of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP
    Why in the WORLD would you not carry it with a round chambered?
    Do you like the idea of carrying a hammer in your holster?
    What he said. What they said.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear
    I would like to ask this question with a twist.
    Is there a potential problem with carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber?
    As long as the safeties are engaged (finger is off the trigger), no problem at all.
    If it's holstered, even less of a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    i would like to ask this question with a twist. is there a potential problem with carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber?

Jefft2905 is there some information , or reason you would think you couldn't carry in VA?
    jefft2905 hasn't been back on OCDO since he posted the one time - oh well.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar

Best Analogy EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You wouldn't want an ambulance to have no gas in the tank when a call comes in, would you?

+1
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot
    he hasn't been back on OCDO since he posted the one time - oh well.
    Some lucky folks have jobs to go to, so can't be here all day every day.
    Wish I had a job...
    (Or he may be reading but not posting.)

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Some lucky folks have jobs to go to, so can't be here all day every day.
    Wish I had a job...
    (Or he may be reading but not posting.)
    Wasn't being critical - was just sayin'

He may also not know he has replies, since the default behavior is to NOT automatically e-mail subscribe you to your threads...

Roscoe
    Last edited by roscoe13; 06-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.

im aware of the responses ive read them all. thanks for the help

im aware of the responses ive read them all. thanks for the help
    Feel free to jump on in - the waters fine and always room for one more in the pool.

am i allowed to open carry my glock 36 with a round in the chamber? .

Short answer= Yes.
    No, if your name is Lee Paige or if you have similar firearm handling skills.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Bad analogy.

If sh*t hits the fan, you have rounds in the magazine, which is the same as gas in the tank. However, that ambulance is in PARK until the call comes in and then it goes into DRIVE. Going from PARK to DRIVE would be the same as chambering a round in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    Bad analogy.

If sh*t hits the fan, you have rounds in the magazine, which is the same as gas in the tank. However, that ambulance is in PARK until the call comes in and then it goes into DRIVE. Going from PARK to DRIVE would be the same as chambering a round in my opinion.
    Lets put that ambulance in the garage = holster

Full tank of gas = full magazine

But now you've got to prime the carburetor = chamber a round
    before either will work.

Better I think to have them both primed and ready to go - just need to hit the "ignition" switch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast