• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I allowed to open carry my Glock 36 with a round in the chamber?

CHILINVLN

You wouldn't want an ambulance to have no gas in the tank when a call comes in, would you?

Bad analogy.

If sh*t hits the fan, you have rounds in the magazine, which is the same as gas in the tank. However, that ambulance is in PARK until the call comes in and then it goes into DRIVE. Going from PARK to DRIVE would be the same as chambering a round in my opinion. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bad analogy.

If sh*t hits the fan, you have rounds in the magazine, which is the same as gas in the tank. However, that ambulance is in PARK until the call comes in and then it goes into DRIVE. Going from PARK to DRIVE would be the same as chambering a round in my opinion. :)

Lets put that ambulance in the garage = holster

Full tank of gas = full magazine

But now you've got to prime the carburetor = chamber a round
before either will work. :uhoh:

Better I think to have them both primed and ready to go - just need to hit the "ignition" switch:exclaim:

Jay

You wouldn't want an ambulance to have no gas in the tank when a call comes in, would you?

Keep that sucker loaded whenever you OC, which should be often!

The only places I know of where OC has to be done with an empty chamber are Israel and California. Hmmmm. The Cali part I can understand (they probably HAVE a law against gas in ambulances; can't be too careful, you know) but the Israel part I don't.

I believe UTAH as well if you do "not" have a permit has to be two actions away from firing ie. NO round in the chamber

SAvage410

chammer

It's perfectly legal in Virginia to carry with a round chambered. Here's a good example of what might happen if you don't:

http://www.girlsheartguns.com/?p=827

Check out this article for distance/vs. reaction times, view the above video, and then make your own decision:

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tueller/How.Close.htm

Me? I carry a Glock 22 with a round chambered at all times.

I saw the video the other day while working my way through YouTube. Found it quite interesting. The article in the second link, however, is some very good reading. Thank you for posting it. :)

MSC 45ACP

I'm sure most of you have heard the "21-Foot" Rule.
Basically, if you're less than 21' from a Martial Artist or someone with an edged weapon
(that knows what they're doing), you can't draw your pistol fast enough to do yourself any good...

I believe the video was called "Surviving Edged Weapons" if I'm not mistaken...

Marco

I'm sure most of you have heard the "21-Foot" Rule.
Basically, if you're less than 21' from a Martial Artist or someone with an edged weapon
(that knows what they're doing), you can't draw your pistol fast enough to do yourself any good...

I believe the video was called "Surviving Edged Weapons" if I'm not mistaken...

You need to update your video library :)

That video is over two decades old, while a good start it falls short.
In training it has been proven even a non trained person with a contact weapon can close the 21ft gap before the avg gun handler could draw and fire effective hits.

"Get off the X!"

MSC 45ACP

You need to update your video library :)

That video is over two decades old, while a good start it falls short.
In training it has been proven even a non trained person with a contact weapon can close the 21ft gap before the avg gun handler could draw and fire effective hits.

"Get off the X!"

That was the point I meant to make. I have been "out of the game" for quite some time. I should have clarified that if you don't already have your weapon drawn inside of 21', you're outta time (and luck) and need to consider either making more room (getting off the "X") or dealing with your attacker with other defensive methods (soft-hand, empty hand, hard hand techniques). By the time we're done here, ProShooter won't have anything left to teach in the classroom!

"Stay outta the Fatal Funnel!"

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
By the time we're done here, ProShooter won't have anything left to teach in the classroom!

Nah, there's always room/a need for knowledgable instructors.
We are just passing on a little of our knowledge.

Haha...you guys are stealing all my good material! Now I have to re-write the class just to make it interesting again! :)