• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I allowed to open carry my Glock 36 with a round in the chamber?

jefft2905

sorry if this aint the right part of the forum to post this in. but my question is am i allowed to open carry my glock 36 with a round in the chamber? i open carry it all the time but I do not have a round in the chamber. I live in virginia. any imput would help, thanks.

MSC 45ACP

sorry if this aint the right part of the forum to post this in. but my question is am i allowed to open carry my glock 36 with a round in the chamber? i open carry it all the time but I do not have a round in the chamber. I live in virginia. any imput would help, thanks.

Why in the WORLD would you not carry it with a round chambered? Do you like the idea of carrying a hammer in your holster? You do realize that is what you have if you lose the use of your 'off' hand, right? If you carry a pistol, you should be able to shoot with either hand (unsupported). You should practice with both hands, supported; weak hand, unsupported; strong hand, unsupported and all combinations in between. There is even a way to chamber a round while holding a pistol with one hand and not using the other hand to do so, but I won't discuss it here... This method is an advanced technique and best taught by a qualified instructor WITHOUT AMMUNITION present.

I won't continue my rant with how much dry-firing (practicing without ammunition) you should do (an hour a day). Those that know me know my two favorite subjects are safety and realistic practice. I won't get "spun up" on them now...

Badger Johnson

You are certainly allowed, and if you are not experienced in doing so you can practice with snap-caps to assure you are holstering correctly and soforth. Research 'glock-leg'

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No limitation or restriction regarding "fully loaded" in Va.

Wouldn't think of driving my truck with 3 wheels either and I like a full tank of gas.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
You wouldn't want an ambulance to have no gas in the tank when a call comes in, would you?

Keep that sucker loaded whenever you OC, which should be often!

The only places I know of where OC has to be done with an empty chamber are Israel and California. Hmmmm. The Cali part I can understand (they probably HAVE a law against gas in ambulances; can't be too careful, you know) but the Israel part I don't.

MSC 45ACP

California OPEN CARRY?

I thought I read recently that OC in California was recently BANNED? Is this true? How very sad!!! can anyone verify this or is it just someone trying to get it repealed?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I thought I read recently that OC in California was recently BANNED? Is this true? How very sad!!! can anyone verify this or is it just someone trying to get it repealed?

They are trying to get a law passed banning UOC (Unloaded Open Carry) which would de facto create CC as the only allowable carry. But then we know how often CCW permits are approved in the populated areas of Californiastan. Go read the California forum for the sad news.

stay safe.

Mtam

My father in law carries concealed without one in the pipe. When I asked him why he said for safety sake. He's not real smart....

sidestreet

Well, to each his own, I always say...,

but like my buddy VaTazdad, mine always go around with "one up the pipe", "stacked and racked", however you want to put it. To my way of thinking, unless there is some legal obligation that requires an empty chamber in order to carry, there are just way too many good reasons for keeping a pistol that you are carrying OC/CC ready to fire.

MSC 45ACP makes excellent points. Since I started carrying, I've learned how to drop a magazine, load a new magazine, rack it or chamber another round (even if it didn't hold at slide lock on the last round) and engage again in just a matter of seconds, and all that using only my weak hand. I can even break down my pistol and put it back together again in a few minutes, again just using my weak hand. I hope that I never have to do that for any reason, but if I do, I know how, and I know that I can, and I don't have to spend precious time trying to figure it out. Challenge yourself, learn it, know it, live it, and ALWAYS practice these things without live ammo!

IMHO, carrying without one "in the spout" is also a safety issue, meaning that if you have not seriously, seriously practiced drawing and firing from that condition, when the SHTF you run the risk of a jam or malfunction at a critical time, and could very well blow some of your fingers off.

I also think that not carrying with "one in the pipe" for safety suggest to me that one is not confident in or comfortable with their own skills and/or firearm. Just sayin'...

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

The Wolfhound

I carried that way for a while

Then I woke up to the realization that my hands are often full. I cannot rely on having my left hand to rack the slide when I need to draw my pistol. Round is always chambered nowdays. Sometimes you just have to expand your comfort zone. PRACTICE!

papa bear

i would like to ask this question with a twist. is there a potential problem with carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber?

Jefft2905 is there some information , or reason you would think you couldn't carry in VA?

Last edited:

MKEgal

first off, welcome to OCDO

Since nobody else said it yet...
Guys, remember your manners! And in VA, of all places. :rolleyes:

MSC 45ACP said:
Why in the WORLD would you not carry it with a round chambered?
Do you like the idea of carrying a hammer in your holster?
What he said. What they said.

papa bear said:
I would like to ask this question with a twist.
Is there a potential problem with carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber?
As long as the safeties are engaged (finger is off the trigger), no problem at all.
If it's holstered, even less of a problem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i would like to ask this question with a twist. is there a potential problem with carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber?

Jefft2905 is there some information , or reason you would think you couldn't carry in VA?

jefft2905 hasn't been back on OCDO since he posted the one time - oh well.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
He may also not know he has replies, since the default behavior is to NOT automatically e-mail subscribe you to your threads...

Roscoe

Last edited: