• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Take on SB93

Fast Ed

As much as I would have loved to have constitutional carry, I am not overly dissappointed in the bill as it currenty stands. Political realities being what they are, I think the pressure we put on the legislature pushed this bill as close to what we wanted as we were going to get. Without us, we would have gotten something much more restrictive. I know some may see that as a loss, but I see it as winning a major battle in the longer war.

The training requirements are minimal, much more like Florida than Utah or Minnesota. The cost is minimal compared to Florida, where I just renewed for $125. We get rid of a majority the GFSZ stuff, the vehicle carry stuff, and the disorderly conduct stuff. We keep permitless OC.

We don't get permitless CC. There is some cost to the training, unless you already satisfy the requirements. It's not free. There is a govt database, currently inaccessible for the most part, but existing just the same for some future despot to exploit.

I know we didn't get everything we wanted, but how bad is this, really?

Fast Ed

Outdoorsman1

Whether we "Won" or not I suppose depends upon how much you value the Constitution and what it CLEARLY states regarding the RIGHT to "Keep and Bear Arms" and something else about NOT infringing on those rights.

This is just another baby step in the process of turning a right into "Privilege". And as we all know, a privilege is something that can be alterd or even taken away if a future government see's fit. I wonder how long it will take before all we have left is privileges as then our rights will have been eliminated...(consider the "Patriot Act")....

I will concur that the permit, for those that want to carry concealed and legally carry within a GFSZ (gun free school zone) (1000 Ft.) this could be considered a "good thing". Or at the very least, those of us that choose to Open Carry and are not concerned with the GFSZ thing, will be able to avoid "The Dance" of unload, case, uncase, load, will be able to open carry loaded in a vehicle legally WITHOUT the permit.

For the record, I always have been and for the most part always will be an "Open Carrier", but when the time comes, I will get the permit as to not having to worry (or do the dance) if I happen to drive past a school.

But I will not consider this a "WIN", just another right turned into a privilege...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:
M

McX

the problem is what we fought for how many years to get is probably what we will be looking at for the next 20 years.

MKEgal

Fast Ed said:
The training requirements are minimal, much more like Florida than Utah or Minnesota.
There is some cost to the training, unless you already satisfy the requirements.
See the thread Paul started about free training via the Maryland State Police.
:D
We'll have to wait & make sure they don't screw around with the training requirements before passing the bill, but as it stands right now we can do a free online course & it meets the requirements.

Zeus

OK all, I have a question about a particular scenario. Let's say I get the CC permit (I already have Utah and FL which should be good here) for WI. Can I for instance, OC into a store then before entering my car, just get in and call it CC since I have a CC permit? Can I get around the unloading business we do now with a CC permit is what I am asking I guess.

BROKENSPROKET

OK all, I have a question about a particular scenario. Let's say I get the CC permit (I already have Utah and FL which should be good here) for WI. Can I for instance, OC into a store then before entering my car, just get in and call it CC since I have a CC permit? Can I get around the unloading business we do now with a CC permit is what I am asking I guess.

From what I understand, without a permit, you can Open Carry in a vehicle, you just have to be careful about driving through a GFSZ as that would be a Felony.

Now, I have a question that I am not sure about. With a permit, can we Open Carry in a GFSZ?

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
We need to stop speculating, The reason the bill is not final. The one thing I now for sure is WE"RE GOING TO GET REALLY SCREWED! The writing's on the wall.

There now is that not easier to accept!

oak1971

This reminds me of when i would have to look up things Doug Would post, ahh those were the good old days.

It's the writing on the wall. This is where the term originated.

Words written by a mysterious hand on the wall of Belshazzar's palace, and interpreted by Daniel as predicting the doom of the king and his dynasty. The incident is described as follows: Once when King Belshazzar was banqueting with his lords and drinking wine from the golden vessels of the Temple of Yhwh, a man's hand was seen writing on the wall certain mysterious words. Frightened by the apparition, the king ordered his astrologers to explain the inscription; but they were unable to read it. Daniel was then summoned to the royal palace; and the king promised him costly presents if he would decipher the inscription. Daniel read it "Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin" and explained it to mean that God had "numbered" the kingdom of Belshazzar and brought it to an end; that the king had been weighed and found wanting; and that his kingdom was divided and given to the Medes and Persians (Dan. v. 1-28).

Read more: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=459&letter=M#ixzz1OvNZzBeX

deadlifter

How are we going to get really really screwed?

I for one would have loved constitutional carry, but what we have as of now in the bill is a far cry from where it was. For a state to go from nothing to this is pretty good.

protias

Me: Big government, may I exercise my right to bear arms?
Big government: No! Now sit down and shut up! *backhands me*
Me: *cries*

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
How are we going to get really really screwed?

I for one would have loved constitutional carry, but what we have as of now in the bill is a far cry from where it was. For a state to go from nothing to this is pretty good.

The bill is not finalized, If it was then yea, but a whole lot of compromising can happen , Republicans are good for that when the party leaders pull their strings!

deadlifter

Me: Big government, may I exercise my right to bear arms?
Big government: No! Now sit down and shut up! *backhands me*
Me: *cries*

You can exercise your rights. You get to OC all day everyday if you wish. Im going to catch alot of **** for this, but everyone says wording is everything, and it doesnt say you may keep and bear arms concealed in the constitution.

No offense to anyone, but cheese n rice, here comes a pretty good bill as it sits right now, and so many are still complaining. Yeah, constitutional carry would have been fantastic, but to go from nothing to constitutional carry especially in WI would have been like turning lead into gold IMO.

Im happy with the way it sits right now, as long as they dont go and pull some sh*t and starting adding right before the Senate vote. I can swing $50 every 5 years, and Im sure most people can, regardless of your income level. Plus its SHALL issue, wasnt that important for everyone too? Not too mention carrying in a car, in a tavern, restaraunt, etc....

I dont know... just my two worthless cents.:cool:

paul@paul-fisher.com

deadlifter, I understand what you are saying but the reason I am disappointed is that we did this the right way. We started well over a year ago and got the Republican Party Platform modified to remove the permit and training requirements. We then worked really hard to get Tea Party candidates nominated and then elected. We pressed our legislators to educate them on constitutional carry. Now, when the rubber hits the road, they change their votes. I agree with you that this bill is better than what we have right now, but it could of been more.

HandyHamlet

You can exercise your rights. You get to OC all day everyday if you wish.

I can't.

Everything around me and my house is overlapping school zones. I have a Starbuck's several blocks away. Even if I could get close to it, it backs up against a school.

So basically I have to drive somewhere to exercise my Constitutional Rights. I can't walk to my grocery store, bakeries, Library, video store, hardware store.... all within walking distance. All in school zones.

deadlifter, I understand what you are saying but the reason I am disappointed ...

And lets not forget the bigger picture as Paul eludes to. We the voters have spoken. And our elected officials, instead of representing us, decided yet again to just do their own thing. Bigger government, more spending, more laws, turning rights into privileges.

Last edited: