• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is free training that meets the letter of the proposed law

paul@paul-fisher.com

Thanks to MKEGal, here it is:

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

It is free, takes less than 30 minutes, no test and when you are done, you print out a certificate. I did it for the heck of it and if you can click 'next', you will do fine.

This is offered by the Maryland State Police so it falls under 'training offered by police agency'.

Let's publish this everywhere so the trainers that pushed for mandatory training don't get a DIME!

** DISCLAIMER ** I support voluntary training, just not government mandates.

Big Dipper

Thanks to MKEGal, here it is:

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

It is free, takes less than 30 minutes, no test and when you are done, you print out a certificate. I did it for the heck of it and if you can click 'next', you will do fine.

This is offered by the Maryland State Police so it falls under 'training offered by police agency'.

Let's publish this everywhere so the trainers that pushed for mandatory training don't get a DIME!

** DISCLAIMER ** I support voluntary training, just not government mandates.

Shhhhhhh!!

The law hasn't been enacted YET!

Some bozo legislator (sorry about the redundancy) may add an amendment to exclude "MD training". ;-)

M

McX

I passed! Yippee

McX should not look at this "program" There are many pictures of 1911s and other nice looking handguns.

something tells me this show starts with: this is a gun, dont look down this end.............

added; be patient, WisCarry will come down from the mountain, with the tablets inscribed with what we need. let my people go.

Last edited:

Archangel

I was a little concerned looking at that site. Maybe just being that "IT guy" but I couldn't help but notice it was not a secure site. You are entering your information like DL, and complete address....

Just sayin.

Any of you guys sending the registration into Maryland PD?

phred

MKEgal

The legislators aren't listening to us now... why should they change their oh-so-wonderful bill because we found training that fits their definition?

There's also a provision for training provided by instructors certified by a state or national group. It's worded so loosely that WCI would qualify. Maybe we should make our own curriculum & standards for instructors?

Then there are the requirements for being a DOJ certified instructor:
1) be eligible for a WI cc permit
2) demonstrate ability to teach safe gun handling
[may not be the exact words, but that's pretty much it]
Heck, I can do that.

I've said it before & will say it many more times:
Training is good.
More training is better.
Gov't-mandated training is bad.

In order to get a WI permit, do the minimum they'll accept.
Free online works for me. :rolleyes:
Then go get real training.
I hear Calico Jack is coming to town (SE WI) soon...
[http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pcoming-Calico-Jack-Course-July-9th-and-10th]

paul said:
+ 1,000,000
But I kinda agree on the caution part... once it's signed into law, it will be harder for them to screw it up.

Last edited:
M

McX

It's worded so loosely that WCI would qualify.....................works for me. show them my WisCarry sticker?

Vandil

I did have some fun Flash animations where you got to pull the trigger and hammers back on SA revolvers. Also I'm glad I don't live in Maryland after doing that course. :banana:

MKEgal

You are entering your information like DL, and complete address...
Any of you guys sending the registration into Maryland PD?
I didn't have my DL handy, so entered WI 123456789 & it took it.
If I send it in, I'll write in the real #.
Haven't decided if I will or not, though there's no real reason not to other than saving a stamp.

It would be interesting to apply for a WI permit using that proof of training, to make sure they're following the law.
Then if there's a problem, send copies of the other training & permits I have, & complain to high heaven.
As Paul pointed out, it's training provided by a law enforcement agency...

cheeseburger said:
It's worded so loosely that WCI would qualify
I meant as an agency that trains instructors.
They don't say anything about how the DOJ would determine if that agency were qualified to train instructors, or what has to be included in the curriculum.

Last edited:

Zeus

Maybe I can video record the safety brief before our IDPA match tomorrow and post it for "safety training". Free for all of us, politicians must pay WI Carry $1000 each to use it :)

M

McX

Maybe I can video record the safety brief before our IDPA match tomorrow and post it for "safety training". Free for all of us, politicians must pay WI Carry $1000 each to use it :)

bitchin, i'm online and ready to log in now!