• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is free training that meets the letter of the proposed law

Outdoorsman1

The legislators aren't listening to us now... why should they change their oh-so-wonderful bill because we found training that fits their definition?

There's also a provision for training provided by instructors certified by a state or national group. It's worded so loosely that WCI would qualify. Maybe we should make our own curriculum & standards for instructors?

Then there are the requirements for being a DOJ certified instructor:
1) be eligible for a WI cc permit
2) demonstrate ability to teach safe gun handling
[may not be the exact words, but that's pretty much it]
Heck, I can do that.

I've said it before & will say it many more times:
Training is good.
More training is better.
Gov't-mandated training is bad.

In order to get a WI permit, do the minimum they'll accept.
Free online works for me. :rolleyes:
Then go get real training.
I hear Calico Jack is coming to town (SE WI) soon...

+ 1,000,000
But I kinda agree on the caution part... once it's signed into law, it will be harder for them to screw it up.

Wow... Believe half of what you hear and less of what you read....:eek:

We are in the early stages of planning a visit by C.Jack for him to offer (probably) a weekend class. I am checking out ranges in the area and will know more early next week. Nothing is for sure, we are going to try our best to make this happen.. Time frame depends on when Jack can get away in relation to range availablity....

Outdoorsman1

apjonas

As I Asked Mr. Hardballer,

Do You Have Authoritative Confirmation that this course qualifies? Or are you making your best guess? It appears that instructors must be certified by DOJ. This also implies that there is an instructor. Doesn't hurt to take the course but I wouldn't rely on it being accepted and suggest that another means be utilized (instead of or in addition to the MD course).

Thanks to MKEGal, here it is:

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

It is free, takes less than 30 minutes, no test and when you are done, you print out a certificate. I did it for the heck of it and if you can click 'next', you will do fine.

This is offered by the Maryland State Police so it falls under 'training offered by police agency'.

Let's publish this everywhere so the trainers that pushed for mandatory training don't get a DIME!

** DISCLAIMER ** I support voluntary training, just not government mandates.

apjonas

If You Really Want to Do It

Note that the registration form for the MD course does not REQUIRE you D.L. number. You should also consider if you are ever likely to be driving through Maryland (not a gun-friendly state). You get stopped for going 66 in a 65.

LEO#1: Hey Bruce this bird we stopped took our regulated (i.e. handgun) firearms course online.
LEO#2: He must of had a reason. He's probably packing heat.
LEO#1: Well, he is from Wisconsin. Sounds like reasonable, articulable suspicion to me.
LEO#2: Ok, you tear his car apart. I'll get the body cavity search authorization.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Do You Have Authoritative Confirmation that this course qualifies? Or are you making your best guess?

Until we get the actual wording of the passed bill, it is a best guess. As I've told many others, don't do anything that costs you money or that you assume will work until the bill is signed by the Governor.

Since this was free and I wanted to see how it worked, I did it.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Actually, here's the wording of the memo:

In order to satisfy the proof of firearms training requirement, among other approved methods,
an individual could attend a firearms safety or training course conducted by a firearms instructor
who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or who was
certified by DOJ. The Department would be required to maintain a list of instructors that it
certifies.

It says "or who was certified by DOJ". I think this covers it. As I said, we shall see.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/2011-13Bills/2011_06_09_SB93.pdf page 2, paragraph 2.

MKEgal

As I replied in the other thread...

apjonas said:
Do You Have Authoritative Confirmation that this course qualifies?
According to the requirements at the top of pg 6 of the amendment (below), this class qualifies: "available to the public & is offered by a law enforcement agency"
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/2011-13Bills/2011_06_09_SB93_LC.pdf

Since I'm the one who originally found & posted this little gem, YES, I'm sure it meets the letter of the law as currently written. Go read the PDF for yourself.
Very first line, top of pg. 6. This class is definitely:
1) "a firearms safety or training course"
2) "available to the public" and
3) "offered by a law enforcement agency"

This is offered by the MD State Police (meets #3),
obviously freely available to the public on the web (#2),
& is the safety training they require of their citizens to get a permit (#1).

I want to see the tapdancing DOJ or the Dems would have to do to claim that the safety training provided by the MSP that's perfectly adequate for a MD permit somehow doesn't live up to WI standards.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

I was a little concerned looking at that site. Maybe just being that "IT guy" but I couldn't help but notice it was not a secure site. You are entering your information like DL, and complete address....

Just sayin.

Any of you guys sending the registration into Maryland PD?

I did this class in May 2010...sent in their portion of the print out. Never heard anything from them. I haven't had any need to use it yet. As long as the new law doesn't include a live fire portion in the training this should work for you.

cheezhed

I took the "course" and passed but what I really want to do is to take a hunter safety course but the problem is I work second shift and all the courses are offered in part or whole in the evening. Is there a course that I can go to in the mornings or on a weekend or two? This training requirement
really ticks me off! I was not in the service( bad heart )and wasn't able to be a cop either and now I am having a hard time finding a hunter safety course to take. If they provide photo I.D. for free so people can vote it would seem logical that training could be provided so I could exercise my rights as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated

phred

I took the "course" and passed but what I really want to do is to take a hunter safety course but the problem is I work second shift and all the courses are offered in part or whole in the evening. Is there a course that I can go to in the mornings or on a weekend or two? This training requirement
really ticks me off! I was not in the service( bad heart )and wasn't able to be a cop either and now I am having a hard time finding a hunter safety course to take. If they provide photo I.D. for free so people can vote it would seem logical that training could be provided so I could exercise my rights as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated

check this out and see if there is something here that can help

CD-ROM/Internet Hunter Education Courses

The Department offers an optional method of certification for those that prefer a program other than the traditional hunter education course.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enforcement/safety/hunted.htm

or this

Test-Out Pilot Program for Hunter Education Certification
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enforcement/safety/huntedtestout.htm

Last edited:

MKEgal

re: hunter safety test-out
I never knew they did that! :shocker:
If they'd actually schedule tests that would be a good option.
I knew they did the CD + in-person combo class.
Still, it's more time & $ than I want to spend for info I'll probably never use.
(Though if we could arrange an Asian carp skeet shoot, I might learn to use a shotgun.) :p

ETA: On second thought, there's no way we could be in a running motorboat, on a river near Chicago, with loaded uncased shotguns. At least, not for very long before the LEOs showed up & carted us away. But it's an interesting idea, isn't it? Asian carp skeet shoot... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
For those that are watching this thread from the bordering states of Oregon, Sheriff Glen Palmer of Grant County will issue a concealed license using the MD safety course.

oliverclotheshoff

re: hunter safety test-out

ETA: On second thought, there's no way we could be in a running motorboat, on a river near Chicago, with loaded uncased shotguns. At least, not for very long before the LEOs showed up & carted us away. But it's an interesting idea, isn't it? Asian carp skeet shoot... :rolleyes:

you would think that could be challenged since you can bow fish from a moving boat i have videos of a couple brothers who live in or near ill who do arial bowfishing in ill rivers for the asian carp which is fun to watch

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Not meaning to kick a dead horse, but as I have mentioned a few times before. Anyone born after Jan. 1, 1973 is required to take firearms instruction from the DNR before being allowed to purchase a hunting license. That covers about 70% of the 1 million hunters in Wisconsin. The 2010 census reports the population of Wisconsin at 5,500,000. That means 1 out of 5 residents of Wisconsin hunt. Because the adult population is estimated at 3.5 million the ratio is actually closer to 1 out of 3. Bottom line? At least 700,000 residents of Wisconsin already have the training requirements fulfilled by way of the DNR issued hunters safety certificate. Granted most of them may be out state but this law applies statewide.

my opinion.

phred

Don't think that our opponents are not watching everything said here: http://www.wrn.com/2011/06/concealed-carry-clears-senate/

Check out half way through the last paragraph.

you mean this part?

The bill requires that those who wish to carry a concealed handgun must apply for a permit and recieve training. “The training requirement is pretty much a joke,” said Jerri Bonavia with WAVE, the Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort. “You can take online training where the most you’ll need to know how to do is click the ‘next’ button.”

http://www.wrn.com/2011/06/concealed-carry-clears-senate/

Grant Guess

Pretty much. Damned sure that I watch everything that my opposition is doing and they are likely here as well. This is no doubt a reference to the Maryland online training.

Last edited:

apjonas

I Received a Message

that Senator Galloway stated on WIBA radio that the Maryland online course was NOT sufficient for the permit. I don't think her opinion is dispositive but there it is. I can't locate an archive to verify the statement.