• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger Redhawk 44 mag

deadlifter

Well I bought one today. Just wondering what to expect from it. Its my first revolver.
Lookin for info on best way to clean it, important things to remember with it, etc.
Heres a pic of the beast. I got the gun, holster and 40 rounds of 240grain HP's for $450. He wouldnt come down to $425 lol.
IMG_9994.jpg

hogeaterf6

Sweet. Looking at getting the same or at least in 45 LC, since I already have a Winchester 45 LC. That one looks identical to what I want. Here they are over $500 with 45 LC at your $$ range.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nice gun. $450 seems like a very good price if it is in good shape.

Regarding your questions, there is a forum just for Ruger owners. Great research source:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Warning: Stay away from the picture threads. You'll end up dreaming about all the nice guns. :)

deadlifter

Nice gun. $450 seems like a very good price if it is in good shape.

Regarding your questions, there is a forum just for Ruger owners. Great research source:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Warning: Stay away from the picture threads. You'll end up dreaming about all the nice guns. :)

Thanks for the link! Looks like I have my reading for the night.

Yeah, I thought $450 was actually a little low for what he was asking. Gun is in great shape, barrel's shiny and good rifling. The holster is a nice leather over the shoulder holster that was used 2 times and worth $100. I can see why he didnt want to come down to $425.

Don Barnett

I'm Envious!

NICE!

Rugers are strong reliable guns and the .44 Magnum is, in my opinion, one of the best rounds ever developed; very easy to reload, great for hunting and with the proper loads, great for self defense. Also, the recoil is very managable.

You should have fun with that purchase.

Wetworx

NICE!

Rugers are strong reliable guns and the .44 Magnum is, in my opinion, one of the best rounds ever developed; very easy to reload, great for hunting and with the proper loads, great for self defense. Also, the recoil is very managable.

You should have fun with that purchase.

I like .44 Mag as well, but man is it brutal to shoot through my S&W 329PD...Definitely not too bad through my Colt Anaconda, though :)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Looks virtually identical to mine which I bought in 1984. Suggest you try to find a set of Ruger hunting sights for your new friend... if you are of a mind to using it for long range shooting or big game hunting. I put these sights on mine and they are great. The rear sight is a wide 'V' with a white vertical line at bottom center. The front sight is a small gold colored bead on a thin post very similar to what you see on a lot of .22 rifles.

I also installed Omark springs (I think that's the right company - it's been over 25 years), and a set of Pachmayr grips. I have shot a 2 1/2" group from a rest at 50 yards with this setup. The gun is very accurate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Congratulations!
You now own the second finest, non custom, double action revolver in existence.
And it's in the most versatile caliber on earth,:cool:

I'd do two things and maybe one more. As mentioned, new sights, some people including me, find the stock grips uncomfortable. If so, replace them.

Send it to a really good smith that specializes in Rugers, and get a trigger/action job.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have shot some hogs with mine load a 315gr fn hard cast at 1300fps max load of H110 a reall monster stomper. My fun load is a 250gr SWC lead at 950fps easy to shoot and lots of fun. They are great guns.