Thread: OC Prohibited Signs & Costco

OC Prohibited Signs & Costco

I just moved to Fairfax county and was OCing at the Costco at the 28 and 50 in Chantilly. I've read several people had done so there before without issue. As I was walking through the front door the greeter stopped me and said I had to leave it in the car.

I didn't see any signs posted that said no firearms so was wondering if there are any laws requiring businesses that ban firearms to post signs (I know AZ has something like that).

I guess I'll just have to CC next time I go there...

Btw, I was dressed professionally in a polo with my XD in serpa cqc holster and had never even had anyone say anything about me ocing at businesses in VA before this so was quite surprised!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    I just moved to Fairfax county and was OCing at the Costco at the 28 and 50 in Chantilly. I've read several people had done so there before without issue. As I was walking through the front door the greeter stopped me and said I had to leave it in the car.

I didn't see any signs posted that said no firearms so was wondering if there are any laws requiring businesses that ban firearms to post signs (I know AZ has something like that).

Btw, I was dressed professionally in a polo with my XD in serpa cqc holster and had never even had anyone say anything about me ocing at businesses in VA before this so was quite surprised!
    Old News. Costco is anti.

Costco is a catch-22...

IF you OC, they ask you to leave...

If you CC and inadvertently print or expose it, they'll have you shot...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Yeah, Costco is anti. Some people have just been lucky in that no one saw their sidearm.

I always switch to CC when going to Costco. Less hassle.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that signs do not hold the weight of law in VA. I never see any signs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    Yeah, Costco is anti. Some people have just been lucky in that no one saw their sidearm.

I always switch to CC when going to Costco. Less hassle.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that signs do not hold the weight of law in VA. I never see any signs anyway.
    Oh, dear sweet jeebus, not this one again! Signs may or may not have legal force, depending on who put them up. But thee is no need for signs, as an agent of the owner telling you to teke your gun elsewhere is effective notice of trespass notwithstanding the nostrum that the cops want them to repeat themselves in the presence of the officer just to make sure the cop heard them tell you to leave [it].

In any event, if you know a place is against OC and/or CC, why push the issue? And if you are not certain and then find out they are anti, why make a fuss when you know you do not have any "rights" when dealing with private property owners except to respect their desires of how to behave on their property? Oh, yeah! I forgor the "right" to not patronize them, and ask your friends, your friends' friends, and any stranger you see, not to patronize them either.

stay safe.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Oh, dear sweet jeebus, not this one again! .
    LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    For what it's worth, I've never had an issue with the Costco in Manassas while OC'ing. I'm in that store several times a month (was just there two days ago) and no one who works there has ever said anything negative or asked me to leave my firearm in the car. Never.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

That reminds me of a state I saw (I think IN) that for it to be banned they have to post a sign. But it has to be so big and in a certin place for it to be lagit.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    I didn't see any signs posted that said no firearms
    and we never ask them too either.

Also.. since your new here (in VA), go to vcdl.org and sign up for the free email list (we would also like you to join - $25 per year).

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-father View Post
    That reminds me of a state I saw (I think IN) that for it to be banned they have to post a sign. But it has to be so big and in a certin place for it to be lagit.
    Texas has the 30.06 Law.... if a private property posts, the sign has to have specific wording, specific text height, in both English and Spanish:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ignposting.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post

Does it count if your half blind without glasses and you didn't see a sign because you didn't have your glasses on?
    I don't wear glasses, but only for driving. How would this work out someone who is older or with bad eyes?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 06-11-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

...or just don't go there!

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Does it count if your half blind without glasses and you didn't see a sign because you didn't have your glasses on?
    I don't wear glasses, but only for driving. How would this work out someone who is older or with bad eyes?
    And this person is carrying something other than a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Costco is a catch-22...

IF you OC, they ask you to leave...

If you CC and inadvertently print or expose it, they'll have you shot...
    Is this an over dramatization or has there been an incident in which this occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin R. Johnson View Post
    Is this an over dramatization or has there been an incident in which this occurred?
    Powder humor

Semi-gallows humor.

Check the Nevada forum or the rest of the intenet for info on Eric Scott, who was shot at the Costco in Sumerlin NV.

stay safe,

Semi-gallows humor.

Check the Nevada forum or the rest of the intenet for info on Eric Scott, who was shot at the Costco in Sumerlin NV.

stay safe,
    WOW! That's pretty bad. Wonder how that empolyee and gard are sleeping?

WOW! That's pretty bad. Wonder how that empolyee and gard are sleeping?
    Not a "gard" but 3 cops. One of them has since been arrested for giving a gun to a known felon. (Go figure.)

stay safe.

Oh, yeah! I forgor the "right" to not patronize them, and ask your friends, your friends' friends, and any stranger you see, not to patronize them either.
    This.

Quit Costco almost 2 years ago now and go to Sam's Club instead after sending a note about with my VOIDED renewal slip. We spent thousands of dollars there. My folks also quit though not sure how much they actually spent there.

As a bonus , I found much of the same stuff and quality at Sam's Club and I have found that the gas station is easier to get into and out of , also the process of getting tires for my truck was MUCH nicer at Sam's than at Costco. Haven't regretted it since.

There was an incident in a Las Vegas Costco where a customer (who was CC'ing) was shot by LVPD. A store employee apparently called Police for a MWAG call. Do a Google search on sostco shooting Las Vegas for details.

Unhappy open carry at costco told by manager to cover up my pistol

well here is how it goes,

I was with my wife and child walking in just like every other time through the entrance of costco greeting the the greeter with showing your membership card and beginning to look around like any other day we went looking a little bit around the store we didn't buy anything but my wife wanted to eat some pizza with my kid. Well my kid all of a sudden told us he needed to go to the bathroom and he needed help from mom and of course we all got up and went to the bathroom and mom took him to the bathroom while I waited outside for them after about 4 minutes of being outside I am approached by a costco employee who ask me if I was a LEO and I told him no. He told me that he loved virginia gun laws but I was going to need to cover up my gun so no one could see it. I asked him directly "so costco does not support open carry? " He stated no and that it was private property. Well I told okay I respect that and I went ahead and covered my gun with my shirt and then my family came back out and we left the store immediately after that. It was a little embarrassing that someone was telling me to cover up my gun but what can I do? All I can say is I am going to shop somewhere else where I don't feel embarrassed being myself open carrying my gun.

I hear that sam's club doesn't have a problem with open carry and I have also heard BJ's wholesale is another option but that is all the way in fairfax. Anyone know what Sam's club or BJ's wholesale warehouse open carry policies are?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by opencarrypalmtrees View Post
    I hear that sam's club doesn't have a problem with open carry and I have also heard BJ's wholesale is another option but that is all the way in fairfax. Anyone know what Sam's club or BJ's wholesale warehouse open carry policies are?
    Don't know about BJs, but Sam's Club is owned by WalMart, which respects the laws of the state in which the store is located.

I have a Costco opening less than a mile from my home (in the corner of a WalMart parking lot; wonder how that will work) but will not be joining.