• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Prohibited Signs & Costco

hgreen

I just moved to Fairfax county and was OCing at the Costco at the 28 and 50 in Chantilly. I've read several people had done so there before without issue. As I was walking through the front door the greeter stopped me and said I had to leave it in the car.

I didn't see any signs posted that said no firearms so was wondering if there are any laws requiring businesses that ban firearms to post signs (I know AZ has something like that).

I guess I'll just have to CC next time I go there...

Btw, I was dressed professionally in a polo with my XD in serpa cqc holster and had never even had anyone say anything about me ocing at businesses in VA before this so was quite surprised!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just moved to Fairfax county and was OCing at the Costco at the 28 and 50 in Chantilly. I've read several people had done so there before without issue. As I was walking through the front door the greeter stopped me and said I had to leave it in the car.

I didn't see any signs posted that said no firearms so was wondering if there are any laws requiring businesses that ban firearms to post signs (I know AZ has something like that).

I guess I'll just have to CC next time I go there...

Btw, I was dressed professionally in a polo with my XD in serpa cqc holster and had never even had anyone say anything about me ocing at businesses in VA before this so was quite surprised!

Old News. Costco is anti.

Dreamer

Costco is a catch-22...

IF you OC, they ask you to leave...

If you CC and inadvertently print or expose it, they'll have you shot...

Riana

Yeah, Costco is anti. Some people have just been lucky in that no one saw their sidearm.

I always switch to CC when going to Costco. Less hassle.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that signs do not hold the weight of law in VA. I never see any signs anyway. :p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, Costco is anti. Some people have just been lucky in that no one saw their sidearm.

I always switch to CC when going to Costco. Less hassle.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that signs do not hold the weight of law in VA. I never see any signs anyway. :p

Oh, dear sweet jeebus, not this one again! Signs may or may not have legal force, depending on who put them up. But thee is no need for signs, as an agent of the owner telling you to teke your gun elsewhere is effective notice of trespass notwithstanding the nostrum that the cops want them to repeat themselves in the presence of the officer just to make sure the cop heard them tell you to leave [it].

In any event, if you know a place is against OC and/or CC, why push the issue? And if you are not certain and then find out they are anti, why make a fuss when you know you do not have any "rights" when dealing with private property owners except to respect their desires of how to behave on their property? Oh, yeah! I forgor the "right" to not patronize them, and ask your friends, your friends' friends, and any stranger you see, not to patronize them either.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
For what it's worth, I've never had an issue with the Costco in Manassas while OC'ing. I'm in that store several times a month (was just there two days ago) and no one who works there has ever said anything negative or asked me to leave my firearm in the car. Never.

wolf-father

That reminds me of a state I saw (I think IN) that for it to be banned they have to post a sign. But it has to be so big and in a certin place for it to be lagit.

Blk97F150

ocholsteroc

Does it count if your half blind without glasses and you didn't see a sign because you didn't have your glasses on?
I don't wear glasses, but only for driving. How would this work out someone who is older or with bad eyes?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Does it count if your half blind without glasses and you didn't see a sign because you didn't have your glasses on?
I don't wear glasses, but only for driving. How would this work out someone who is older or with bad eyes?
:rolleyes:

And this person is carrying something other than a shotgun?
:banana:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Oh, yeah! I forgor the "right" to not patronize them, and ask your friends, your friends' friends, and any stranger you see, not to patronize them either.
This.

Quit Costco almost 2 years ago now and go to Sam's Club instead after sending a note about with my VOIDED renewal slip. We spent thousands of dollars there. My folks also quit though not sure how much they actually spent there.

As a bonus , I found much of the same stuff and quality at Sam's Club and I have found that the gas station is easier to get into and out of , also the process of getting tires for my truck was MUCH nicer at Sam's than at Costco. Haven't regretted it since.