• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming Calico Jack Course July 9th and 10th

Mlutz

Sounds GREAT! I dont think im available that weekend. I would however be interested in taking a class of yours in the future.

JJC

OK, I have had a lot of questions about the "Intro To Defensive Firearms" course that I offered. So I am going to do a full sized class. This will be a 2 day course. Saturday July 9th, and Sunday July 10th. This is an extensive course that will cover a lot more than you will find in any other course in the state. I can take up to 20 people.

Please keep in mind that this will be run in a 1 on 1 format during all live fire events, and a discussion format instead of a lecture for the class work.

I can not guaranty that this course will cover any requirements imposed by any state for the issuing of a permit. Including Wisconsin. Mainly because I have no idea what Wisconsin will require of certified instructors like myself. Until I know what the state will require for training to get a permit, I can not offer a course that is guarantied to satisfy those requirements.

This is, however a course that will cover what you need to know comprehensively and will definitely give you a new lease on self confidence if you are ever required to defend yourself.

I do have a limited amount of space for this, and I will need people to pre register for this course. But I will also provide a discounted price for this course and I will give a certificate for those that attend to return to me and get the requirements for a permit satisfied free of charge, as soon as I know what to teach and make sure that I can teach it. That of course being if those requirements are not satisfied by the training that I offer in this course.

It will Cost $150, per person

You will need:

A concealable firearm
150 rounds of ammo (Minimum)
Holster
Mag Pouch
3 magazines/speed loaders
Note Taking Material
Ball cap
Boots
Safety Glasses
Hearing Protection
Cleaning kit for firearm
Snap Caps/Dummy Ammunition
Any other appropriate range gear

The course will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (give or take) on Saturday for the classroom time with a 30 minute break for lunch. Then from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on the range> We will resume on Sunday with a 1 hour review of the coursework at 10 a.m. and then to the range again from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to conclude the course.

Anyone with physical impairments should let me know ahead of time as this will be a kinetic course, meaning there will be a lot of move and fire drills. I am more than capable of adaptive training and can accommodate just about any physical disability.

If you are interested, let me know as soon as possible so that I can make sure you have a spot. This is not a short course, and it is not your grandpa's personal protection outside the home. This course was designed from the ground up so that everyone who takes it will be more confident and have the tools they need to not only carry safely, but also survive a self defense encounter.

What happened to the "FREE" training you mentioned so many times in the past?????
JJC

CalicoJack10

I have to cover my insurance and costs. For a class of 20 people you are talking $3,000. If you can find a way for me to do this without insurance, renting a space, getting materials printed, and not donating to the VVA for a class that size, and on their range, I will gladly train a class for free.

Until then, the private open carry with no more than 4 people is still free, just like courses for Law enforcement and military are still free. We are not talking about something that is easy or cheap. But I am eating a huge part of this myself.

Then again, I would love to be able to train people for free (or for what it costs me devided up among those that attend as I usually say) but for a large class, that is the best I can do!!!

lockman

State Researcher
"I can not guaranty that this course will cover any requirements imposed by any state for the issuing of a permit. Including Wisconsin. Mainly because I have no idea what Wisconsin will require of certified instructors like myself. Until I know what the state will require for training to get a permit, I can not offer a course that is guarantied to satisfy those requirements."
A short "catch-up to code" course to fill in anything the statute may entail and apply it to the previous certification resulting in a new certification meeting the as of yet unknown requirements.

Just a thought.

paul@paul-fisher.com

"I can not guaranty that this course will cover any requirements imposed by any state for the issuing of a permit. Including Wisconsin. Mainly because I have no idea what Wisconsin will require of certified instructors like myself. Until I know what the state will require for training to get a permit, I can not offer a course that is guarantied to satisfy those requirements."
A short "catch-up to code" course to fill in anything the statute may entail and apply it to the previous certification resulting in a new certification meeting the as of yet unknown requirements.

Just a thought.

Most likely by the date of the class, the requirements will be set. The only issue might be that the DOJ might need to certify the instructor and they hadn't figured that out by then.

CalicoJack10

For me it is simple, as long as it doesn't cost me to teach, I will do it for free. If nobody wants to be a part of that, then I will skip the course. It is just an offer based on what people are asking me for. And based on the number of requests, I should be able to fill a class of 20 as long as it was not lip service from people. So I offered the course, if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. I can wait until the laws come out so that I can see if it is cheaper, and I can go back to doing it one on one. Nobody is being forced to take the course.

I just thought I would put it out there to help consolidate the requests. Being retired military, I don't need the money. And I am not at all interested in making money off the fears that are associated with many people who would take courses from me.

And while this may seem arrogant, anyone who has been on the range with me can tell you that there is a reason I am teaching these courses and not taking them. I have a unique skill set that would rival some of the best, and I have backed that up by showing it and not just talking about it. Not to mention the fact that I (unlike any other instructor in the US) teach a course that adapts to the person and not the other way around. Give it a year and I guaranty you will see others trying to do the same thing.

If all I am going to get is bashed for offering something that is still far cheaper than it should be (Because I am already looking at putting $1000 of my own money into it to bring everyone else's costs down) then I will refrain from offering to help people here anymore.

This is not a post that comes from arrogance, ignorance, aggravation or anger. This is me speaking my mind. I made an offer to try and keep everyone's costs down, and am doing so because of a desire to see people safe and fear free. If there is no interest, thats fine. But I will definitely refrain from making these offers since they are odiously not wanted.

BTW, this is based on several PM's I have recieved as a result of this post. Best wishes.

P.S. I offered to take care of the permit side of things when the requirements are set for free.

Last edited:

Zeus

$150 is a bargain for this type of training these days, IMHO. Wish I could attend but have previously scheduled an event. hope it goes and goes well.

rcav8r

Unfortunately, those dates don't work for me either, as the in-laws are visiting from out of state that week.

Also, $150 is steep for me at this point. I was under the impression of the "Free" class would be offered, but I certainly would have kicked in something to cover costs and maybe a little extra. Not bashing here, just saying I'd have to think it over if I could have made those dates.

MKEgal

If you want real training that will improve your skills & maybe save your life, what CJ asks isn't unreasonable. I couldn't afford it either, but I recognize the value.
Someday I'll take some advanced training up there. Have already discussed it w/ CJ via PM on FB. :rolleyes:

If people only want to meet the minumum training requirements for the WI permit, as it stands now, you can do that for free online. See the thread Paul started. Read the PDF put out by the LRB. I can't see where the free course from the MSP wouldn't meet their stated requirements.
Of course, they could screw us over again w/ amendments & changes, so keep up to date about what's happening in Madtown.

CalicoJack10

If you want real training that will improve your skills & maybe save your life, what CJ asks isn't unreasonable. I couldn't afford it either, but I recognize the value.
Someday I'll take some advanced training up there. Have already discussed it w/ CJ via PM on FB. :rolleyes:

If people only want to meet the minumum training requirements for the WI permit, as it stands now, you can do that for free online. See the thread Paul started. Read the PDF put out by the LRB. I can't see where the free course from the MSP wouldn't meet their stated requirements.
Of course, they could screw us over again w/ amendments & changes, so keep up to date about what's happening in Madtown.

Thanks, and you are correct. Front Site charges $1,000.00 per preson for what I am offering, and they don't even begin to cover the amount of information pertinant to Wisconsin citizens as I do. Not to mention they are not nearly as range intensive as I am. I am not offering this to allow you to get a permit, I am offering this to save your life, and I am even eating 25% of the cost for what I am doing as opposed to making a profit off of it.

And I agree, if all you want is a permit, then it is not worth taking my course. Because I have no tollerance for lollygagers in my courses, and I have failed more than a couple people for just being there to say they were there and get a permit.

But hey, what do I know, I am just some guy on the internet rite?

duckdog

I took a look at your website and it looks like you do this for a business. What is your normal cost for all of this training? All along I never realized you were actually in the business of providing this training. No offense, but surely you can see where people are a bit taken back, when you were offering the training for free and now you are charging $150 and they see this self defense website .....

Personally, I have all of the requirements met for a permit, as they stand now. I also think that $150 bucks isn't bad for what you are offering, but your course would be more than I would be looking for, with the martial arts and all. I'll just continue to pack iron like I do now, and god forbid, use my firearm if it becomes nescessry.

CalicoJack10

I took a look at your website and it looks like you do this for a business. What is your normal cost for all of this training? All along I never realized you were actually in the business of providing this training. No offense, but surely you can see where people are a bit taken back, when you were offering the training for free and now you are charging $150 and they see this self defense website .....

Personally, I have all of the requirements met for a permit, as they stand now. I also think that $150 bucks isn't bad for what you are offering, but your course would be more than I would be looking for, with the martial arts and all. I'll just continue to pack iron like I do now, and god forbid, use my firearm if it becomes nescessry.

I presently do a FREE Open Carry Course, and I still do refreshers for LEOs and Military for Free, as well as free training to kids ages 8 to 18. But that is all one on one (except for the kids training). And I am in the process of trying to get a 501(c)(e) so that I can take donations and do all of the training for for free with a few possible exceptions to help keep the organization going. Did I mention the FREE training I offered for the Alma get together?

Hate to have to say it like this, but until I can get my 501ce, I have to operate with a standard tax ID. And that means things like insurance come at a much higher cost. Because they think I am a regular business and that I am making money off of this. But the 501c paperwork can take a long time to get processed.

Additionally, as soon as we get Constitutional Carry, I will be offering a concealed carry course for free. Until then, I will only charge what it costs me. Like I have said before. And I believe that it is only a matter of time before we get real Constitutional Carry.

Additionally, my courses are complete courses. There is not instruction to a certain point and then bait to get people to come back to the next course. When you leave each course, you don't feel like you need to know what is taught in the next one. And that goes for ALL of my courses. This is not the NRA, or some other "Academy" where I am constantly pushing people to come to another course. My abilities as an instructor and the things I can teach people to do will accomplish that all by themselves.

I don't personally understand the confusion. Maybe it is that military mindset. It is my understanding that people have only paid attention to half of what I have said, and if I were to do that it could be a serious fault and severely dangerous as an instructor.

Like I said (and so did MKEgal), this course is not about getting a permit, it is about saving lives.

bigdaddy1

I may be forced to wait a bit, I don't have a CC firearm yet, any my open carry pistol is a bit too large to substitute I think. Its just not in the cards financially at this time. However if things change between now and then...

qball54208

Even though I have had LE & MP training, I am MORE than willing to one of CJ's instructional weekends! One must realize that firearms training, like any other skill set, is perishable! A need to do remedial training, for me, is necessary. I know I have forgotten some of the "drills" I was taught.
What CJ offers is simple, Training, Tactics and Techniques I know would significantly increase the probability of me coming out on top and quite possibly unscathed.
An age old saying come to mind and applies here, "take what you like and leave the rest"

AaronS

I may be forced to wait a bit, I don't have a CC firearm yet, any my open carry pistol is a bit too large to substitute I think. Its just not in the cards financially at this time. However if things change between now and then...

My CC gun is a full size 1911, and I am about 150 pounds. If I can "hide" it, I am sure you could also.

Zeus

Just to add another .02, Jon Hodaway who currently works for Massad Ayoob Group had some very interesting statistics regarding people who survived gun fights. To paraphrase loosely, he said there are certain things that significantly increase your chances and they are in I think the correct order, of most important to less important-
1. Military/LE or similar training (carbine/pistol course)
2. Do you shoot competition?
3. Are you a hunter or target shooter?
This is not my opinion but actual data collected from people involved and surviving gun battles. Fortunately for me, I have all three but I sure as hell don't want to find out how good or bad I am anytime soon. I would still take this class in a heartbeat if I didn't have a scheduling conflict. I am not promoting CJ, we have never met. I hope to some day and hope to train with him some day in the future. I know times are tough as hell and many are without work but don't forget to ask yourself, "How much is my life worth?" I don't want to see good folks come out on the bad side of a fight. Not trying to preach, just stating the facts. Be safe all.

theoicarry

Just to add another .02, Jon Hodaway who currently works for Massad Ayoob Group had some very interesting statistics regarding people who survived gun fights. To paraphrase loosely, he said there are certain things that significantly increase your chances and they are in I think the correct order, of most important to less important-
1. Military/LE or similar training (carbine/pistol course)
2. Do you shoot competition?
3. Are you a hunter or target shooter?
This is not my opinion but actual data collected from people involved and surviving gun battles. Fortunately for me, I have all three but I sure as hell don't want to find out how good or bad I am anytime soon. I would still take this class in a heartbeat if I didn't have a scheduling conflict. I am not promoting CJ, we have never met. I hope to some day and hope to train with him some day in the future. I know times are tough as hell and many are without work but don't forget to ask yourself, "How much is my life worth?" I don't want to see good folks come out on the bad side of a fight. Not trying to preach, just stating the facts. Be safe all.

I feel much the same. I will at one time take this course. I need to for my family's safety, along with my own.