• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Which RiverRat Learns the Importance of...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
... a neat driveway and a few other things.

I'm going to wait for him to tell his story before making any snarky comments, but - seriously, dude! How many times do we gotta go over the ground rules before you get them right?

Putting your gun away when there's an armed stranger in your house who has an argumentative, demanding attitude?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

Thank you for asking.

Brother RiverRat had something happen that he promised to post about. Promises were made to post snarky comments about it - even in advance of his posting of the details. Some promises have been kept. Some promises are still to be kept.

stay tuned to see if details are forthcoming from Brother RiverRat.

stay safe.

riverrat10k

I had a little talk with the local PD the other day while OC'ing.

Halfway through the conversation, I secured my firearm somewhere else in my house.

In hindsight, it was kinda dumb.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Halfway through the conversation, I secured my firearm somewhere else in my house.

In hindsight, it was kinda dumb.

Tell the whole story, RR. No need to go into why you had the conversation, but tell the whole story. We're all waiting to dogpile you. In a kind, friendly way, of course.

stay safe.

riverrat10k

Which part?

Tell the whole story, RR. No need to go into why you had the conversation, but tell the whole story. We're all waiting to dogpile you. In a kind, friendly way, of course.

stay safe.

Do you mean the part where I was asked repeatedly to show a DRIVERS LICENSE to file a police report? Informed the officer I was NOT driving, just standing there.

NovaCop

Do you mean the part where I was asked repeatedly to show a DRIVERS LICENSE to file a police report? Informed the officer I was NOT driving, just standing there.

Asking is not a demand, police can ask you anything. It's much easier and more accurate to provide a license to a Leo to file a report. I'm sure he could find that information without you anyway. Police ask for licenses because most people use that as identification and have it readily available.

riverrat10k

I indicated that I would provide any needed info. The officer essentially demanded a picture ID in order to take the report. My wife got mad and provided hers to my objections. The officer never asked me for any ID info again.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Asking is not a demand, police can ask you anything. It's much easier and more accurate to provide a license to a Leo to file a report. I'm sure he could find that information without you anyway. Police ask for licenses because most people use that as identification and have it readily available.

That's funny because I've never been asked for my ID by police. Its always been a demand for ID. Even when it was supposedly only being "requested", my refusal uncovered pretty quick that the "request" was really just a covert demand. They had no intention of letting me actually make my own decision and then respect that.

RiverRat's report somewhat parallels this. He was "asked" repeatedly. Huh? I suppose he politely declined. But, then why was he asked again and again (for however many repeatedlys there were)?

Its pretty apparent the police were not willing to respect his right as a free man to not to show his papers.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Just like my incident where my WIFE's car was vandalized and I was talking to the cop as was she, and he said he couldn't FILE a report unless I gave him MY Social Security number. I was in my bare feet and a pair of shorts, standing on my sidewalk, and I probably co-signed on the load for her car, but it was in her name.

We ended up not being able to file a report. I called it in to the sgt the next morning and he says 'It's not mandatory, just tell the officer you'd rather not for privacy reasons'. I replied "I did do that repeatedly and officer (can't recall now) wouldn't do the report". He didn't agree to fix it (the sgt) just told me next time to say that. Sheesh, big help.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP he said he couldn't FILE a report unless I gave him MY Social Security number.

Oh, ho, ho. There is federal law about a government entity demanding an SSN, and whether that entity has to disclose their purpose in requiring it. There may be penalties for demanding an SSN without giving the required disclosure. Seems to me, I vaguely recall people winning settlements from state and local governments who demanded SSNs in violation of the federal law. Maybe even our own Mike, Supermoderator.

Last edited:

wylde007

RiverRat's report somewhat parallels this. He was "asked" repeatedly. Huh? I suppose he politely declined. But, then why was he asked again and again (for however many repeatedlys there were)?
My mother-in-law frequently applies this method. Essentially she wants you do do what she wants and in an effort to wear you down - keeps badgering the same question until you get so tired of hearing it you finally give in just to make it stop.

Like torture. Passive-aggressive torture.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My mother-in-law frequently applies this method. Essentially she wants you do do what she wants and in an effort to wear you down - keeps badgering the same question until you get so tired of hearing it you finally give in just to make it stop.

Like torture. Passive-aggressive torture.

Countermeasure

hands-over-ears.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Funny thing about the databases Department's keep. The information keeps expanding and they are not subject to the same oversight as things like credit files...mostly because many departments don't admit to keeping them

It slips out sometimes though:lol:
NovaCop10

My dept does maintain a database of everyone who is ID'ed to include personal info, friends, description, etc. That database not only helps catch criminals but also helps to contact them if thy are a victim or other issues. And to be honest, most people provide ID upon request because I am respectful and almost always I can find out their info anyway if they refuse (run tags, address, other officers might know them,etc) and I can still take a picture of them if I believe it's necessary.​