Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mt. Airy police chief shot

  1. #1
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258

    Mt. Airy police chief shot

    some may remember this is the police chief that i have met with , that was against citizens carrying firearms. this is just the kind of thing that makes it hard for us to win support
    http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_...home_news_lead
    http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_...Breaking-news?

    i sent an email expressing my best wishes for his recovery. i wanted to point out this had nothing to do with honest carriers and that the woman was probably mentally unstable, and would not been able to have a firearm since that would be against the law. but, i felt this was not the time

    BTW, this is only about .10 of a mile from the park where my grand kids like to go. What if she had thought of taking a few more out with her, to get her suicide by cop
    Last edited by papa bear; 06-11-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462
    Sine it was a shotgun, it does not matter if she had a permit or not or if she carried a pistol or not in my eyes.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    292
    I saw this last night while up at camp. Also heard that a prisoner escaped jail yesterday, and don't forget the bad storms. Surry county had a rough day yesterday.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Resto Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    186
    Quoted from link:
    "Atkinson added that once an “officer-down” alert was broadcast among emergency communications channels, members of units from around the area responded, including the Dobson Police Department and N.C. Highway Patrol. The Surry County EMS also was on the scene and an AirCare helicopter ambulance was on standby. About 40 representatives of various agencies were staged at the scene, where the woman’s body was removed just before 4 p.m."

    And you can believe that everyone of them drove like a bat-out-of-Hell to get there. If only they would respond to a "average John Q. Public down" alert with similar concern and enthusiasm.

    I live in the county, about 7 miles from the city line and I've seen officers responding to a local "officer-down" call. It was for a female HP officer badly beaten by a driver. Bystanders beat and restrained him within a couple of minutes. For more than 10 minutes, I counted 17 police cars from the county, HP and city blast past my house at speeds probably in the 110 to 130 range.

  5. #5
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    hey jago6 has the OA cerimony started? i will bring my grand children up for the wed nite rains

    one thing i thought of was this is almost the same spot that the county got into a shoot out with a mental disturbed man way before the school was built.

    two deputy saw this man, who they knew was not to have a firearm (everyone knew he was crazy). walking along hamburg street carrying a rifle. they approached him from behind and called out to him, he wouldn't stop and so one reached and took hold of his shoulder. he then spun and pulled a 9 and started firing. the officers returned fire. i don't know the the exact count but all parties emptied there guns ( all this at arms reach) the man received a wound in the neck, recovered and later hung himself in the hospital
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    hey jago6 has the OA cerimony started? i will bring my grand children up for the wed nite rains

    one thing i thought of was this is almost the same spot that the county got into a shoot out with a mental disturbed man way before the school was built.

    two deputy saw this man, who they knew was not to have a firearm (everyone knew he was crazy). walking along hamburg street carrying a rifle. they approached him from behind and called out to him, he wouldn't stop and so one reached and took hold of his shoulder. he then spun and pulled a 9 and started firing. the officers returned fire. i don't know the the exact count but all parties emptied there guns ( all this at arms reach) the man received a wound in the neck, recovered and later hung himself in the hospital
    It has not started yet, cub week starts tomorrow then the scouts come up next Sunday. OA ceremony starts on the 22nd. Stop by the health lodge when you come up, thats where I will be before the campfire starts.

  7. #7
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    Uhm What?

    Quote Originally Posted by Resto Guy View Post
    Quoted from link:
    "Atkinson added that once an “officer-down” alert was broadcast among emergency communications channels, members of units from around the area responded, including the Dobson Police Department and N.C. Highway Patrol. The Surry County EMS also was on the scene and an AirCare helicopter ambulance was on standby. About 40 representatives of various agencies were staged at the scene, where the woman’s body was removed just before 4 p.m."

    And you can believe that everyone of them drove like a bat-out-of-Hell to get there. If only they would respond to a "average John Q. Public down" alert with similar concern and enthusiasm.

    I live in the county, about 7 miles from the city line and I've seen officers responding to a local "officer-down" call. It was for a female HP officer badly beaten by a driver. Bystanders beat and restrained him within a couple of minutes. For more than 10 minutes, I counted 17 police cars from the county, HP and city blast past my house at speeds probably in the 110 to 130 range.

    I am just wondering if you really thought that your comment is somehow related to the OP (original post). I am struggling to see how your speculation or your example fit in this thread. Is there any point to your post that I'm missing? The reason I ask is because, we who work to advocate for OC it is important to be aware of relations with the Law Enforcement in our communities. This thread is about the leader of a PD that one of the OCDO NC members has engaged and has reported about here . There was a point to the OP, there still is. If the thread follows the point it may helpful. This OP is not about Police misbehavior or citizen gripes. So I don't get your comment in this thread.
    Last edited by EricDailey X-NRA; 06-12-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: OCDO
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    This story is about long guns and has NO reason to be discussed here...

    The fact that LE was dispatched to deal with a situation that was fundamentally MEDICAL (mental illness) is a disgusting trend in our society. This woman should be in a psych ward, being treated, and being cared for by her family and trained medical professionals.

    Sending a bunch of cops to deal with a suicidal person is like sending a SEAL team into a cranky grade-school kid's room to "convince" them to go to school on test day...

    Sorry about the LEOs, but we should also think about this poor, tormented woman.

    I guess this is part of the new "ObamaCare". Who needs "death panels"? We'll just let the crazy people get so out-of-control that they pick up a gun and then someone can call the cops--who will treat the situation like any other situation where they encounter a MWAG. Using LEAs to carry out a program of Eugenics--what a brilliant idea...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer View Post

    sending a bunch of cops to deal with a suicidal person is like sending a seal team into a cranky grade-school kid's room to "convince" them to go to school on test day...
    qftmft

  10. #10
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    i guess the OP was a bit too subtle for some. let me see if i can hit on the points

    1. this is Mayberry,

    2. this is the same police chief that is against citizens being armed. and said citizens "have too many rights as it is".

    3. genuine concern for the LEOs

    4. this incident happened within short walking distance of the park where said police cheif said "there was no reason for citizens to need a gun"

    5. if a crazy person with a gun will shoot a cop here, than they probably will shoot anybody

    and i hope y'all know if you don't comment on the post it will go away
    Last edited by papa bear; 06-12-2011 at 08:05 AM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  11. #11
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This story is about long guns and has NO reason to be discussed here...

    The fact that LE was dispatched to deal with a situation that was fundamentally MEDICAL (mental illness) is a disgusting trend in our society. This woman should be in a psych ward, being treated, and being cared for by her family and trained medical professionals.

    Sending a bunch of cops to deal with a suicidal person is like sending a SEAL team into a cranky grade-school kid's room to "convince" them to go to school on test day...

    Sorry about the LEOs, but we should also think about this poor, tormented woman.

    I guess this is part of the new "ObamaCare". Who needs "death panels"? We'll just let the crazy people get so out-of-control that they pick up a gun and then someone can call the cops--who will treat the situation like any other situation where they encounter a MWAG. Using LEAs to carry out a program of Eugenics--what a brilliant idea...
    Yes it is a mental/medical issue but EMS is not trained or equipped to deal with violent subjects. It is the PD's job to secure psych hold warrants if needed. Many mental patients either get treatment in jail or not at all. Sucks, but that's the way it is.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  12. #12
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Yes it is a mental/medical issue but EMS is not trained or equipped to deal with violent subjects. It is the PD's job to secure psych hold warrants if needed. Many mental patients either get treatment in jail or not at all. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

    The point is, suicide is RARELY a sudden decision. It usually has months of build-up symptoms, and often the person has a previous history of other mental issues.

    It all comes back to family engagement and concern, and community involvement...

    This has the same root as all the stories we see of young urban youths--lack of family involvement, abandonment by friends and community, and a culture of denial...

    If someone had cared about this woman, it most likely would have never gotten this far...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  13. #13
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    I've always felt suicide was Darwinism in action.

    My point was that here is an anti citizen police chief that got shot. odds are he will be even more difficult to convince

    another point is the close proximity to a "gun free zone". where an honest citizen would not have been able to defend themselves

    all of these GFZ shooting were done by suicides.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •