Thread: Helping in time of need.

Helping in time of need.

This isn't a true story of self defense but a helping while OC. I don't know where else to post this.

I was traveling through Wis. on 6/7/11. It was getting hot in my van because my air-conditioning was not working too well so we (my wife and I) decided to stop by a McDonald's for a $1 soda and a $.49 ice cream cone; we were just north of Green Bay where a McD's is adjoined with a Shell gas station.

After receiving our order we started to leave when we noticed a car spewing radiator fluid all over. We looked at each other and said man that can't be good, then we noticed that the single mother with two kids was in pain. We pulled along side to ask if she was ok as did a another woman. We could see she was in a great deal of pain for being burned because she had popped open her cap which caused the contents to burst burning her face and arms. The first women that asked if she was alright got into her car and backed to another pump pumped her gas and left.

With my firearm in my side, OC, a went to the young ladies aid. As I was helping as much as I could and with what I had and many people came over to see what they could do or asked what was going on. Only two other people stuck around to help all the way to the end; the whole ordeal took about an half hour. Not one word from an adult about my OCed firearm. After everything was calming down, the little boy, about 5, that was with the mother that was burned asked, "why do you have a gun in your pocket?" It was in a Fobus retention paddle holster. I thought he had asked is that a gun in your pocket, so I answered yes sir it is. He said, "no, why do you have a gun in your pocket?" I told him just in case I may need it someday. After just a couple of minutes he asked if he could see it. I told him no it stays in the holster until it goes to bed at night.

It shocked me how many people acted concerned but never really did anything and I could see that little boy going home and telling everyone how a man with a gun in his pocket helped mom.

Awesome story--and kudos to you for being a proactive, concerned, and ENGAGED citizen.

It is acts of humanity, courage, and engagement like this that will bring people in the OC community the BEST publicity. When people realize that we are concerned, helpful, humane people, the will eventually stop seeing the guns on our hips, and see us for what we are--REAL people with big hearts, a sense of duty, and the courage to be charitable and engaged.

Bravo to you!
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Just like Bikers. We are not all bearded hoods, selling dope and picking fights. Same will hopefully be realized about Lawful Carriers...
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Kudos to you! Yes, it is incidents like this that make people see that we are no different from most people except for the fact that OCers have made a conscious decision to take responsibility for their own safety and protection, as well as the protection of others if necessary. Excellent job of leading by example by helping the woman and her children. Good Job! (sorry about the run on sentence)
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Great story! Its good to have positive influence in society.

Im assuming this happened in Abrams, WI, just of 41?

Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    It shocked me how many people acted concerned but never really did anything
    It likely falls into the same category as your OC...

Having the Right doesn't make you able. Most people think that everything under the hood of their car is magic. They have no idea how to help themselves, much less someone else.

I used to be a Good Samaritan, but some paranoid 300lb fatass b!tch ruined that by trying to pepper spray me for helping her out. My son really appreciated it, too... Some people...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlifter View Post
    Great story! Its good to have positive influence in society.

Im assuming this happened in Abrams, WI, just of 41?
    Not sure what area I was in but yes I was just off 41.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    It likely falls into the same category as your OC...

Having the Right doesn't make you able. Most people think that everything under the hood of their car is magic. They have no idea how to help themselves, much less someone else.

I used to be a Good Samaritan, but some paranoid 300lb fatass b!tch ruined that by trying to pepper spray me for helping her out. My son really appreciated it, too... Some people...
    I'm not saying I wasn't cautious at first but she was in to much pain to care. All she wanted was help from someone.

In my training always ask before helping. Not everyone wants or needs the help.

I can say that I left a positive thought in some peoples mind after all was said and done.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Educating one person at a time, sometimes more.

Nice job - shows compassion for fellow human beings.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.