• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Helping in time of need.

Packer fan

This isn't a true story of self defense but a helping while OC. I don't know where else to post this.

I was traveling through Wis. on 6/7/11. It was getting hot in my van because my air-conditioning was not working too well so we (my wife and I) decided to stop by a McDonald's for a $1 soda and a $.49 ice cream cone; we were just north of Green Bay where a McD's is adjoined with a Shell gas station.

After receiving our order we started to leave when we noticed a car spewing radiator fluid all over. We looked at each other and said man that can't be good, then we noticed that the single mother with two kids was in pain. We pulled along side to ask if she was ok as did a another woman. We could see she was in a great deal of pain for being burned because she had popped open her cap which caused the contents to burst burning her face and arms. The first women that asked if she was alright got into her car and backed to another pump pumped her gas and left.

With my firearm in my side, OC, a went to the young ladies aid. As I was helping as much as I could and with what I had and many people came over to see what they could do or asked what was going on. Only two other people stuck around to help all the way to the end; the whole ordeal took about an half hour. Not one word from an adult about my OCed firearm. After everything was calming down, the little boy, about 5, that was with the mother that was burned asked, "why do you have a gun in your pocket?" It was in a Fobus retention paddle holster. I thought he had asked is that a gun in your pocket, so I answered yes sir it is. He said, "no, why do you have a gun in your pocket?" I told him just in case I may need it someday. After just a couple of minutes he asked if he could see it. I told him no it stays in the holster until it goes to bed at night.

It shocked me how many people acted concerned but never really did anything and I could see that little boy going home and telling everyone how a man with a gun in his pocket helped mom.

Dreamer

Awesome story--and kudos to you for being a proactive, concerned, and ENGAGED citizen.

It is acts of humanity, courage, and engagement like this that will bring people in the OC community the BEST publicity. When people realize that we are concerned, helpful, humane people, the will eventually stop seeing the guns on our hips, and see us for what we are--REAL people with big hearts, a sense of duty, and the courage to be charitable and engaged.

Bravo to you!

Ruby

Kudos to you! Yes, it is incidents like this that make people see that we are no different from most people except for the fact that OCers have made a conscious decision to take responsibility for their own safety and protection, as well as the protection of others if necessary. Excellent job of leading by example by helping the woman and her children. Good Job! (sorry about the run on sentence)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It shocked me how many people acted concerned but never really did anything

It likely falls into the same category as your OC...

Having the Right doesn't make you able. Most people think that everything under the hood of their car is magic. They have no idea how to help themselves, much less someone else.

I used to be a Good Samaritan, but some paranoid 300lb fatass b!tch ruined that by trying to pepper spray me for helping her out. My son really appreciated it, too... Some people...

Packer fan

It likely falls into the same category as your OC...

Having the Right doesn't make you able. Most people think that everything under the hood of their car is magic. They have no idea how to help themselves, much less someone else.

I used to be a Good Samaritan, but some paranoid 300lb fatass b!tch ruined that by trying to pepper spray me for helping her out. My son really appreciated it, too... Some people...

I'm not saying I wasn't cautious at first but she was in to much pain to care. All she wanted was help from someone.

In my training always ask before helping. Not everyone wants or needs the help.

I can say that I left a positive thought in some peoples mind after all was said and done.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Educating one person at a time, sometimes more.

Nice job - shows compassion for fellow human beings.