• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I find this a bit hypocritical

UnfetteredMight

Am I the only one here that finds the hypocrisy in that we as OCers promote not doing business with those that are anti gun, but yet a website we congregate at has no issue with google ads disallowing posts here for the selling, buying or raffling of firearms?

USA Carry has no such issues and has a distinct lack of OC proponents there. Maybe we should push the administration to look for other wayst to pay for the site, such as membership fees or I dunno, find different site supporters? Or maybe we should all just migrate to USA Carry if they are unwilling to adhere to principle?

Now how many of you want to convince me that this hypocrisy is ok...just this once and be colored hypocrites yourself?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Am I the only one here that finds the hypocrisy in that we as OCers promote not doing business with those that are anti gun, but yet a website we congregate at has no issue with google ads disallowing posts here for the selling, buying or raffling of firearms?

USA Carry has no such issues and has a distinct lack of OC proponents there. Maybe we should push the administration to look for other wayst to pay for the site, such as membership fees or I dunno, find different site supporters? Or maybe we should all just migrate to USA Carry if they are unwilling to adhere to principle?

Now how many of you want to convince me that this hypocrisy is ok...just this once and be colored hypocrites yourself?

Or you can look at it that this site is ironically being supported and growing by those who disagree with our principals.

hermannr

Consider freedom, that includes the freedom to disagree. BTW: If you click on those adds, they get to pay more...to this site.

Why should we complain if we are supported by someone that disagrees with us?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It appears (not just from the few responses on this thread) that your preference for USA Carry is in the minority.

Whether it is because of the Google Ads restriction or it was the owners' decision from the beginning, I am very happy that there is no clutter from for sale ads. There are many sites already existing where I can buy or sell or raffle firearms and also have some measure of protection from less-than-honest advertisers - a feature that requires much more hands-on oversight than the owners apparently want to invest into OCDO.

Everyone who is registered here knew the rules coming in and agreed to them as a condition of membership. If you find the situation not to your liking you are free to leave. If you remain it is expected that you will honor your agreement with the rules. Although not stated as a rule, you might consider taking your "objection" directly to the owners rather than agitate among the membership for either a change or an exodus to some other site. Approaching your concern that way seems to be far less hypocritical than your present course of action.

stay safe.

nonameisgood

No, it's not hypocritical. The forum here is about discussing, changing, and informing people about public policy. It is not a "gun forum". OCDC is about law and rules, and politics, and experience related ONLY to open carry. Not concealed carry or selling guns or target shooting. And not about cars, car parts, kittens, or photography. Visit elsewhere for those things. Most of us get around the net enough to find why we want other places, when not discussing OC.

We do not support the advertisers by seeing their ads here, they support the site in exchange for the ability to show us ads.

snatale42

I'm looking at 5 ads as I'm typing this reply, all gun related. I never noticed anti gun ads but usually don't pay attention either. Some places don't want to be the middleman for a firearms transaction. I've made purchases through message forums before and it's a great way to shop. But with some of the states wacky laws I'm not sure if I would either. If you don't like it I'd just say stay at USA Carry, It's a great forum. I'm a member there too. Which has a descent amount of OC talk by the way. They also have state specific sections as well. They cover anything and everything. I get ya though. if I start seeing anti ads I'd probably stop coming here as well.

xd shooter

I may be mistaken, but aren't those ads "targeted' to your websurfing history? For instance, for quite a while I saw only Frontsight advertisements, now i see ads that are selling other gun related items.

We-the-People

Ads? What ads?

Well okay, I've seen them, but to be quite frank, they are very unobtrusive and the ones I see when I go looking for them are all in the "pro gun" realm. Then again, I don't spend much time browsing anti-gun sites.

If I see an anti-gun ad, I'll click on it....let 'em pay some money out. I'm fairly certain many of them "pay per click".

Now if OCDO gets more funding when there are more clicks, I'll start clicking on more ads.

Last edited:

Aknazer

A little while back there was a thread about some anti ads on the site. The site owners decided to change the ad filters to not allow those type of ads on the site.

We-the-People

Well there goes my idea to reduce the anti's available funds :cry:

I was thinking.....yes it was painful....that it might be interesting to find a plethora of sites where anti ads are found in prevalence and create a "clicking campaign". I'm not sure if such ads are still "pay per click" but even if not, the clicking traffic generated on a particular site increases the cost of placing ads on that site. The trick would be to find them on sites that were not anti...to avoid simply moving anti fund from one anti group to another.

Just an "outside the box" thought.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
If you run Firefox just run the Gohstery plug-in and it will effectively blocks all Google ads as well as others.