• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harborfest 2011

MSC 45ACP

It was pretty disappointing. No "tall ships" this year... Just a few smaller schooners and "medium-sized" sailing ships. Nothing in the 200' + category. Gazela Primero ( I think they just call her Gazela now) is down from Philly. She's pretty old and still has a copper-sheathed bottom. Ran into some old friends aboard Norfolk Rebel and American Rover. We were treated to much-needed cold water aboard the Rebel by an old friend. OC'd all over downtown and walked around inside Waterside to cool off a bit. No second looks from security or Norfolk cops around Town Point Park. While walking near the American Rover, I was asked by a young fellow if I was "on OCDO". I admitted to such and told the guy my s/n. He told me his, but my Alzheimers was kicking in pretty strong today, so I haven't a clue what it was not. I guess I should have written it down. I gave him my business card. Perhaps he'll answer this post. I gave him a little grief about no carrying, but he explained that he had Nat. Guard drill this weekend and couldn't carry. I told him I felt his pain.

Other than being REALLY warm downtown and more crowded that I like, it was a Lovely Open Carry Kinda Day. No problems or even funny looks (that I noticed).

chammer

I've lived here all my life, and I don't recall ever going there once. I want to, and wanted to today but have not felt well. Spent the day in bed instead. :( It's sad to hear that it sounds almost like it's not going to be as good as it used to be anymore.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm headed your way tomorrow MSC, Hopefully the Jellyfish are in. I need some underwater video of them.

MSC 45ACP

Jellyfish usually "go deep" when it rains. We've had scattered T-storms all weekend. I'll try to come up with a place that may have them around. As you probably know... you need the right combination of salt & fresh water for them... I'm thinking Ocean View may have some "good ones". I didn't see any today on the Elizabeth River downtown, but I wasn't looking very hard. If you have access to a boat, you have a better chance of finding them. Maybe out around the HRBT (near Ft. Wool) or out near the 3rd or 4th island of the CBBT...

I'll see what I can do. I'll PM you with some info.

MuddyTires07

I was also there but not till late. Had a cop give me a second look. Also had a bunch that were real friendly to me. Meet a fellow OCDO member SN was NATE. All in all had a fun time till the rain came.