• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cox Corporate Policy is No Guns

Aknazer

So I went into my local Cox store to set up internet and I noticed that all of their doors have "No Firearms" signs on them. I asked the guy behind the counter about it and he told me that it's always been corporate policy, but that something recently happened (he didn't know what) that caused their store to finally put up signs. He acknowledged that only LACs would obey the signs, but restated it was corporate policy. When I asked him for a copy he said they didn't have one on hand but I was more than welcome to contact corporate for it.

I plan to contact corporate this week, but has anyone else seen "No Weapon" type signs on their local Cox stores?

Badger Johnson

I don't understand why, having seen the signs, you asked a clerk about them. What's to ask?

You might research the law in OK about signage (must be 1/2" tall lettering, for example?), to insure they are legally applied. If no metal detectors, just carry anyway, just don't be obvious.

If I'm taking a snack into a movie, I don't contact the ticket takers to see if it's 'allowed'.

If you 'ask' then you can't claim you didn't see them. Do you ask if shirts, shoes and underwear are required in 7-11?:cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't understand why, having seen the signs, you asked a clerk about them. What's to ask?

You might research the law in OK about signage (must be 1/2" tall lettering, for example?), to insure they are legally applied. If no metal detectors, just carry anyway, just don't be obvious.

If I'm taking a snack into a movie, I don't contact the ticket takers to see if it's 'allowed'.

If you 'ask' then you can't claim you didn't see them. Do you ask if shirts, shoes and underwear are required in 7-11?:cool:

Rule #15 - the one you agreed to when you joined OCDO:

•(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

As for why one might ask corporate about their policy? It's been the route that has changed a few policies. Not asking, not engaging in dialogue, is just a guarantee that things will remain the same.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

A sign is not a law. You are not a moderator, though you may play one on OCDO.

Last edited:

eye95

I think that not asking to be able to maintain the plausible deniability that claiming not to have seen the sign would permit is despicable. If you see the sign, respect the property rights of the sign-poster and don't carry. Make your own informed decision as to whether or not to enter based on your own values.

Personally, I will go in, I will ask, I will express my opinion of such short-sightedness, I will leave, I won't return, and I will contact corporate.

I won't ignore the rights of the property-owner and hide behind the subterfuge of I-didn't-see-the-sign. That is morally reprehensible.

JohnH

I think that not asking to be able to maintain the plausible deniability that claiming not to have seen the sign would permit is despicable. If you see the sign, respect the property rights of the sign-poster and don't carry. Make your own informed decision as to whether or not to enter based on your own values.

Personally, I will go in, I will ask, I will express my opinion of such short-sightedness, I will leave, I won't return, and I will contact corporate.

I won't ignore the rights of the property-owner and hide behind the subterfuge of I-didn't-see-the-sign. That is morally reprehensible.

+1

We ask that others respect our right to open carry. What in that gives the right to run roughshod over the rights of others?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There as of late has been a growing tendency to direct remarks personally rather than to the subject.

1) Moderation IS the responsibility of all posters. Such is not only practical, but we are specifically charged by the site owners to be active in that area.

2) Negative attitudes/remarks directed towards other users not only is counter productive to good order but injurious to OCDO.

3) The intent of the rules is to allow freedom of expression and encourage open discourse without exerting a heavy hand, but the option remains and will redoubtably be exercised again so take heed. I fail to see where these policies should be burdensome or difficult to understand.

4) Post responsibly and do so with an attitude and tone that would not offend your grandmother or your pastor. Each of us own the words we post here. Be part of the solution, not contributory to the problem.

This is becoming a serious issue and I assure you it will not be ignored.

Aknazer

I asked because first I wanted to know if it was just a store policy or a corporate policy. After that my intent was (and still is) to contact corporate to try and get them to either change their policy, or if it wasn't their policy, then get them to get the store to take down the signs. If one doesn't ask the questions then things will never change. Additionally, I will respect their wishes just as how if someone were to come into my house or my store I would expect the same from them.

Also the signs are posted at chest height, on the doors, and are like 6"x9". So really the only way you couldn't see them would be if you were legally blind and at which point you shouldn't be carrying anyways.

MKEgal

Aknazer said:
the only way you couldn't see them would be if you were legally blind and at which point you shouldn't be carrying anyways.
When I took the UT class from some guy in MN, he told us about a student he'd had who was legally blind, & had to go to court to get the Sheriff to follow the "shall-issue" law (which says nothing about being able to see). He knew he couldn't shoot unless he had a hand on the attacker, so knew where he was & that the person was definitely attacking.

Aknazer

When I took the UT class from some guy in MN, he told us about a student he'd had who was legally blind, & had to go to court to get the Sheriff to follow the "shall-issue" law (which says nothing about being able to see). He knew he couldn't shoot unless he had a hand on the attacker, so knew where he was & that the person was definitely attacking.

That's crazy. OK requires range-time so that wouldn't work for the OK permit, but I still wouldn't want the blind man carrying if it was that bad. I mean I just don't see how it would be reasonable to expect you can grab your attacker, much less grab them AND pull a gun on them w/o them reacting. Now if he could make out shapes and what not, but was legally blind because he can't read things (I have a stigmatism and w/o my glasses I have like 20/400 because the fine lines of letters bleed together, but I can still identify things w/o them), but needing a hand on the perp to be able to shoot them just seems like a bad idea to carry a gun. Taser or knife, sure, but not a gun imo.

PavePusher

That's crazy. OK requires range-time so that wouldn't work for the OK permit, but I still wouldn't want the blind man carrying if it was that bad. I mean I just don't see how it would be reasonable to expect you can grab your attacker, much less grab them AND pull a gun on them w/o them reacting. Now if he could make out shapes and what not, but was legally blind because he can't read things (I have a stigmatism and w/o my glasses I have like 20/400 because the fine lines of letters bleed together, but I can still identify things w/o them), but needing a hand on the perp to be able to shoot them just seems like a bad idea to carry a gun. Taser or knife, sure, but not a gun imo.

Why another weapon, but not a gun? Contact range is contact range, regardless of tool.

Aknazer

Why another weapon, but not a gun? Contact range is contact range, regardless of tool.

Because some weapons operate off of contact like a tazer or knife. Plus if you jam a gun into someone then you run the risk of unseating the slide and not being able to fire the gun. There is also the issue of one not being able to see what is behind your target when firing a gun.

I'm not against him being able to carry a weapon, I simply think there are safer/more effective weapons for him to use that are still effective (or at least as effective as a blind person can be).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Because some weapons operate off of contact like a tazer or knife. Plus if you jam a gun into someone then you run the risk of unseating the slide and not being able to fire the gun. There is also the issue of one not being able to see what is behind your target when firing a gun.

I'm not against him being able to carry a weapon, I simply think there are safer/more effective weapons for him to use that are still effective (or at least as effective as a blind person can be).

Train the way you are going to fight. There are schools that teach contact distance handgun defensive shooting which IMHO incorporates techniques that everyone should learn and practice.

Let's keep in mind that being "legally blind" does NOT necessarily mean totally sightless.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
I agree with others back to the issue of not able to carry. Why would you in the first place make a scene about not able to carry into a business. If there is a sign on the property respect it and don't get cocky. If the corporate business does not want firearms in their place of business then dont. Even if there was no sign and they requested you to put your firearm in the vehicle please respect their request. Its not your property or business and you don't pay for that place to stay open (yes I know its a RETAIL store selling to the public). But in short to NOT make this an issue, if requested or sign posted don't get brody and challenge it. If its obvious that there is something wrong or funny of it then yes challenge it.

You need to be careful on how you proceed with open carrying cause it can easily turn into an issue and the police can arrest you even if there was no sign, BUT the company requested you leave then leave. Opencarry as we all know is a touchy subject to the public, lets not make it like were just trying to be bosses every where we go.

Aknazer

I agree with others back to the issue of not able to carry. Why would you in the first place make a scene about not able to carry into a business. If there is a sign on the property respect it and don't get cocky. If the corporate business does not want firearms in their place of business then dont. Even if there was no sign and they requested you to put your firearm in the vehicle please respect their request. Its not your property or business and you don't pay for that place to stay open (yes I know its a RETAIL store selling to the public). But in short to NOT make this an issue, if requested or sign posted don't get brody and challenge it. If its obvious that there is something wrong or funny of it then yes challenge it.

You need to be careful on how you proceed with open carrying cause it can easily turn into an issue and the police can arrest you even if there was no sign, BUT the company requested you leave then leave. Opencarry as we all know is a touchy subject to the public, lets not make it like were just trying to be bosses every where we go.

Huh? First off I was CCing because OC is illegal my state. Secondly I did respect their sign (my gun was actually at home because I had to go onto a military base afterwards and its illegal to bring a carry gun on base with few exceptions). Thirdly I simply inquired about the sign and then asked for a copy of corporate policy on the subject. Fourthly if one never talks (politely) to a store or corporate then one can never hope to change their policies.

Also where do you get this idea that I was asked to leave or anything like that. And just because there's a sign posted doesn't mean that one shouldn't engage in talk about the sign, it simply means that you should honor the sign while on their premises so long as the sign is legal and the store isn't violating corporate policy.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
+1

We ask that others respect our right to open carry. What in that gives the right to run roughshod over the rights of others?

I have to agree with this. It is disingenuous to beat the drum about your own rights while trampling those of others.

eye95

Huh? First off I was CCing because OC is illegal my state. Secondly I did respect their sign (my gun was actually at home because I had to go onto a military base afterwards and its illegal to bring a carry gun on base with few exceptions). Thirdly I simply inquired about the sign and then asked for a copy of corporate policy on the subject. Fourthly if one never talks (politely) to a store or corporate then one can never hope to change their policies.

Also where do you get this idea that I was asked to leave or anything like that. And just because there's a sign posted doesn't mean that one shouldn't engage in talk about the sign, it simply means that you should honor the sign while on their premises so long as the sign is legal and the store isn't violating corporate policy.

You acquitted yourself well, both in the store and with this post. Bravo.