• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anthony Portantino - Attacking the Loophole of Liberty

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Anthony Portantino (D-44 Pasedena) keeps trotting out a sound bite mocking the need to carry a firearm in everyday circumstances."You don't need a handgun to order a cheeseburger; you dont need a handgun to order a cup of coffee."

While many agree that a handgun is not integral to obtaining a cheeseburger or a cup of coffee is factually correct, Mr. Portantino wants us to believe that we are always safe and there is no need to take measures to defend ourselves and provide for our own security. He wants us to believe that police are sufficient to ensure that we are all safe in a fast food restaurant or in a coffe shop. He wants us to believe that we live in a society where everyone heeds the law and conduct themselves with respect and deference to one another.

His imaginary utopia was shattered once again when a fight erupted at a San Jose McDonalds where two were stabbed during a melee involving more than a hundred people...http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/06/09/3-stabbed-in-downtown-san-jose/ Police did not arrive in time to prevent violence from breaking out. They did not arrive in time to prevent someone from being injured or possibly killed. No- they arrived just in time to locate a fleeing stabbing victim and to take witness statements- AFTER violence had been done and AFTER people was seriously injured. Fortunately no one was killed this time, unlike another incident in March, where an 18 year old was shot dead outside a McDonalds restaurant near San Jose City College.

He furthermore states that open carry advocacy is a waste of police resources- I contend that it would take officers less time to conduct a 12031(e) check on a dozen open carriers than it would to apprehend the violent criminals, take a dozen witness statements and file reports on the evenings events.

Mr Portantino keeps refering to the ability of untrained, unlicensed, everyday people to carry an exposed, unloaded handgun as a 'loophole'...Well Mr. Portantino, this 'loophole' existed from an age before California was a state, and never needed regulation until you decided liberty was a loophole needing to be closed. I appreciate your concern about the public's safety, but as for me- I may not need a gun to order a cheeseburger, but it appears that I damn well need one to eat one in peace.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Similarly Rep. Tom Ammiano, who is sadly my representative, is a co-author of this bill. He thinks that carrying a gun is an act of intimidation which he compares to bullying. I'd love to hear Ammiano's response about the transgender woman (Ammiano is a homosexual so presumably he might care more about LGBT issues) in a Maryland McDonalds who was beaten so badly she had a seizure. Perhaps if she was open carrying or if somebody in the restaurant was then the two attackers wouldn't have been so bold as to beat the woman for several minutes.

Like C3 said, it's not a requirement to have a firearm when buying a hamburger, but it certainly helps you survive the experience.

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
+10 - C3 and Big Toe

Absofrigginlutely.... +10 - C3 and Big Toe and standby for many California UOC advocates suddenly carrying long guns to get a burger or a coffee in the event of this ridiculous bill...California can expect lawsuits to be filed to allow Californians to protect themselves and their families as is needed due to the police cutbacks in services throughout our great state. We should all hope that our newly elected governor uses his veto to scrap this bill when it arrives on his desk for signature as the California budget is down the tubes before the lawsuits start!!!!

coolusername2007

Mr Portantino keeps refering to the ability of untrained, unlicensed, everyday people to carry an exposed, unloaded handgun as a 'loophole'...Well Mr. Portantino, this 'loophole' existed from an age before California was a state, and never needed regulation until you decided liberty was a loophole needing to be closed. I appreciate your concern about the public's safety, but as for me- I may not need a gun to order a cheeseburger, but it appears that I damn well need one to eat one in peace.

Porkantino equates licensing with quality. A statist lie.

Porkantino thinks the openly bearing of arms, something that has been the history of man since before CA was a state and before the US was a country is a 'loophole' - he's a 'poophole'. Another statist lie.

Porkantino conveniently omits the McDonalds massacre in San Diego, and the Luby's massacre in Texas, which makes him an idiot and a liar. He doesn't have a clue about public safety, all he knows is public control. Yet another statist lie.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Assembly floor video AB144

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-oakland/ab-144-is-up-for-debate-on-the-assembly-floor-video

Please listen very carefully to Steve Knights (8.10) excellent argument and the criminal release speech by Jim Neilsen(15.48). Charles M.Calderon regulated constitutional rights speech (11.07) including the nut job speech !!!!. Nancy Skinners speech on Starbucks UOC in Walnut Creek I would love to see the profit and loss statement from that starbucks store since UOC was being done there!!!. Lori Saldana still gets a mention ho ho ho ha ha ha ....where is she now?

Mr Portantino this is an attack on our 2nd amendment rights "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Last edited: