• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Back from school, good couple days in Idaho

silver

Ive been excited to get back from washington (where im not allowed to carry) for the summer and start carrying. Pretty pleased with how its been for the first two days back. I've so far been to costco, petsmart on franklin, aspen sound, The BOB's BBQ trailer on state street, statefarm insurance, and Telco electronics with no problems. Only experience at all was another customer in aspen sound asked me if i was scared of something.:banana:

hermannr

WA state? why would you not be allowed to carry in WA? If you are talking about WA state, Read RCW 9.41.73 hec, read RCW 9.41

Last edited:

hermannr

Under 21?

If Silver has an Idaho permit, he must be 21 already. If Silver is over 18 but under 21 he has to open carry in WA, just like he would have to open carry in Idaho. The only thing is with out a permit you cannot open carry loaded while in a vehicle, but you can OC loaded walking down the street. (or "recreating")

That is unless he is do some type of "recreation" (hiking, hunting, going to the range etc) in which case he can CC too without a permit.

Yes, I know an Idaho concealed permit has not been formally recognized by the WA AG, but as I read Idaho's law, it meets the requirements in 9.41.73 so it should be recognized. (that is: minimum age of 21, fingerprints, criminal and mental background check)

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

[2004 c 148 § 1.]

Zhukov

I think the issue is that Idaho does issue permits to people under 21.

It's a special one approved by the Sheriff, but they can issue to under 21.

That requirement is what I believe causes most to not recognize the Idaho one.
(11) The sheriff of a county may issue a license to carry a concealed weapon to those individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years who in the judgment of the sheriff warrant the issuance of the license to carry a concealed weapon. Such issuance shall be subject to limitations which the issuing authority deems appropriate. Licenses issued to individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years shall be easily distinguishable from regular licenses.

Idaho Statute 18-3302
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302.htm

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I hope you're enjoying yourself back in Idaho. You were having a lot of trouble staying sane without your XDm. Lol

As for carrying in Washington, it's a lot of trouble for someone 18-21.

RCW 9.41.240 said:
RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

RCW 9.41.042 said:
RCW 9.41.042
Children — Permissible firearm possession.

(1) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;

(3) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;

(4) Hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the person under Title 77 RCW;

(5) In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, is not trespassing, and the person either: (a) Is at least fourteen years of age, has been issued a hunter safety certificate, and is using a lawful firearm other than a pistol; or (b) is under the supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult approved for the purpose by the parent or guardian;

(6) Traveling with any unloaded firearm in the person's possession to or from any activity described in subsection (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of this section;

(7) On real property under the control of his or her parent, other relative, or legal guardian and who has the permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm;

(8) At his or her residence and who, with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian, possesses a firearm for the purpose of exercising the rights specified in RCW 9A.16.020(3); or

(9) Is a member of the armed forces of the United States, national guard, or organized reserves, when on duty.

RCW 9.41.050 said:
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

RCW 9.41.060 said:
RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

Silver's choices for carrying his handgun were pretty limited.

Last edited: