Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attire while OCing?

Attire while OCing?

I have a couple questions for you guys...

1. I was wondering what kind of clothes do you prefer to wear while OCing?

2. Does your clothing matter? What I mean is this...I know its probably not a good idea to OC whilst wearing very baggy jeans, a blue bandana and a white t shirt. You might bring undue attention to yourself. (I dont dress that way anyway) But also, sometimes especially in the summer, one might want to wear shorts and flip flops. Does anyone know of a reason while one should not OC while dressing very casually like shorts? You still have your rights regardless of your appearance, no?
    "I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." - Ted Nugent

I wear whatever I want. How be it black tee, jeans and boots: tanktop, shorts, and flip flops. Whatever, this is America. Isn't it?

1. When I started I was concerned with my look and tried to dress a step up from normal.

2. Now I don't really care. If I'm changing the oil in the car, I might OC to the auto parts store in grubby/greasy clothes. Mowing the grass, same thing.

I'm pretty much onboard with ChiefJason.

When I'm hanging around my own house/property doing chores or whatever, I'll dress appropriately to the task.

But generally when I go into town to shop or whatever, I'll at least "clean up" a little. Even for a trip to the car parts store, or to the Lowes to buy lumber, I'll put on a clean set of clothes if what I'm wearing is dirty, and wash up a little...

Just the way I was raised, I suppose...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Clothing and appearance

What the other guys said.....but generally more in line with Dreamer. My view is 'look like a rat, get treated like a rat'. Admittedly, a rat with a gun gets treated better than other rats. LOL

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    What the other guys said.....but generally more in line with Dreamer. My view is 'look like a rat, get treated like a rat'. Admittedly, a rat with a gun gets treated better than other rats. LOL

true very true. i wouldnt attempt dressing like a slease ball on purpose. but heck i've gone to take out the trash at 10pm in my Pj pants with a shoulder rig ;-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

I have a couple of slightly obnoxious tshirts. Like a motorcycle one that says "Will wheelie for boobs"

I try not to wear those at the same time I'm OC'ing in public

Other than that you might find me in greasy jeans from working on cars, or slacks and a dress shirt.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    true very true. i wouldnt attempt dressing like a slease ball on purpose. but heck i've gone to take out the trash at 10pm in my Pj pants with a shoulder rig ;-)

POIDH...

(pics or it didn't happen...)
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    POIDH...

(pics or it didn't happen...)
    + 1
    Walk softly and carry a large caliber.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I usually try not to wear any t-shirts that have firearms manufacturers logos (or anything gun-related) while OC'ing. I figure I'd rather not draw extra attention to the gun on my hip. Also I don't want to be dismissed as a "gun nut" in the derogatory sense. That's just my 2-cents.

Edit - same could be said for shirts with beer company names/logos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

This what is on my vest when I ride the motorcycle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A1 (1).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	6018  

Wear whatever you want. Having a gun on you shouldn't change who you are or what you want to be.

I am a jeans and t-shirt guy, sometimes with a baseball cap. The only shirt I don't wear when I open carry is a Chuck Norris one that says, "Chuck Norris doesn't take baths, he takes blood baths." I usually just wear that one around the house, or to church.

I wear khaki shorts everyday of the summer. Wear a t shirt 70% of the time and a polo the other times.

I normally wear a pink tutu with purple tights and an orange wig and no one has said a word to me. LOL I wear what is comfortable to me. I think what's more important is how your carry yourself and how you act.
    Walk softly and carry a large caliber.

I try to make sure i look nice when i carry. With that being said, just becuase i happen to be working on my car and look a mess and all greasy, I will still carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry24/7 View Post
    I normally wear a pink tutu with purple tights and an orange wig and no one has said a word to me.
    Naturally...

I've taken to wearing denim cargo shorts and various obnoxious brightly colored T-shirts or button-down 'Hawaiian' shirts, for my 'brief exposure' outings (a.k.a. anytime I leave the house). I print like mad, too. I also wear flip-flops and paint my toenails hot pink. I confuse the crap out of the followers. Is he gay? Is he dangerous? WTF? The so-called 'thought process' of the sheeple is fun to watch.

No, I'm not kidding.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Wear whatever is comfortable, things you wear every day. I have worn everything from dirty jeans to suits all while OCing. As far as I could tell I didn't get different reactions either way.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

mattwestm
    In the winter, I dress much nicer. Polos, button up shirts, nice sweaters, etc. Usually wear jeans or dressy pants, sometimes with a scarf. During the summer I wear long jeans or sometimes shorts with basic t-shirts, short sleeve button up shirts, or polos.

I'll wear Chuck Taylors in the winter and summer. Dress shoes only in the winter and Rainbow sandals only in the summer.

I'm rather metro and enjoy dressing nicely. I also like for my gun to match my clothing somewhat. Wearing a pink striped polo for a day? The cocobolo 1911 grips won't match to well with that, so I'll sport the XD in a serpa. Wearing a nice button up shirt with Rainbows? The cocobolo grips match perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Carry24/7 View Post
    I normally wear a pink tutu with purple tights and an orange wig and no one has said a word to me. LOL I wear what is comfortable to me. I think what's more important is how your carry yourself and how you act.
    Yes, but what about when you are carrying a gun? LOL

I have to admitt, I see both sides. I personely dress normal (if that is the correct term and sorry if it isnt) for someone of my age (46) I dont wear baggy jeans and look like a thug. Not saying that everyone who does wear clothes like that is a thug, but remember, we are talking about the general public. The old saying goes "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck" Not saying its right, just thats how it is.

I OC as well as CC, depending on mood and what I am wearing, etc. I also have to agree with the bit about how you carry yourself as well. Thats goes to what I was raised with.

My own opinion, and I am not saying I am right or wrong, just my own thoughts is that when you consider strapping your handgun to your hip, you have to accept the responsibility that you are exersizing your 2nd amendment right, but also the very possibility that you might (God forbide) have to draw your weapon and use it.

So, with that in mind, you might want to consider this, while doing this, how you dress while carring a weapon is greatly percieved from the general uninformed public as are your a thug and people need to be afraid of you, or are you a someone they dont even give a second glance.

I fully support open carry, so please don't get me wrong, I just do not want to send the wrong message while doing so. Please don't go spouting anything about the law not saying what to wear or what not to wear, thats not the issue I am talking about. There is a difference between a legal right and a moral right. Yes, you have every right to wear the same clothes and your local gang-o-thugs wear and use a hip-drop holster like in the wild west and have an "Im-a-badass-MFer" just because you can cause your not doing anything legally wrong, but don't start complaining when you get hassled by the police, store managers, and citizens around you.

Like I said, I am not saying I am right nor wrong or anyone else for that fact, just tossing my two cents worth in.
    A little common sense does go a long way though, something to think about.

Hope I didnt offend anyone as that was NOT my intent, and if I did, I am sorry.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt402 View Post
    I have to admitt, I see both sides. I personely dress normal (if that is the correct term and sorry if it isnt) for someone of my age (46) I dont wear baggy jeans and look like a thug. Not saying that everyone who does wear clothes like that is a thug, but remember, we are talking about the general public. The old saying goes "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck" Not saying its right, just thats how it is.

I OC as well as CC, depending on mood and what I am wearing, etc. I also have to agree with the bit about how you carry yourself as well. Thats goes to what I was raised with.

My own opinion, and I am not saying I am right or wrong, just my own thoughts is that when you consider strapping your handgun to your hip, you have to accept the responsibility that you are exersizing your 2nd amendment right, but also the very possibility that you might (God forbide) have to draw your weapon and use it.

So, with that in mind, you might want to consider this, while doing this, how you dress while carring a weapon is greatly percieved from the general uninformed public as are your a thug and people need to be afraid of you, or are you a someone they dont even give a second glance.

I fully support open carry, so please don't get me wrong, I just do not want to send the wrong message while doing so. Please don't go spouting anything about the law not saying what to wear or what not to wear, thats not the issue I am talking about. There is a difference between a legal right and a moral right. Yes, you have every right to wear the same clothes and your local gang-o-thugs wear and use a hip-drop holster like in the wild west and have an "Im-a-badass-MFer" just because you can cause your not doing anything legally wrong, but don't start complaining when you get hassled by the police, store managers, and citizens around you.

Like I said, I am not saying I am right nor wrong or anyone else for that fact, just tossing my two cents worth in.

Semper Fi!
    +1

I agree. Not saying that it's right but perception is everything in this day and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt402 View Post

Semper Fi!
    +2
    Absolutely agree, marketing to the public is everything to promote a cause or product. In this case it is to normalize the perception of open carry by law abiding citizens who not only care about their own safety, but also vote for those that enact laws enabling us to do so. If you won’t wear it to grandma's, don't wear it when you OC.
    Must be a Marine, Go Navy.

While it is a fact, what you state about perception, looks, etc... It is part of the problem. I've never met a respectable well-dressed rich man. But the decent fellow in the clothes that rich man left him with, gets treated badly...

I already dress as I do to throw off people who think that way. I wear flip-flops and painted my toenails pink, just to get a reaction from the animals. Someone's gotta do it...

Hate of any kind is unacceptable. Those who think it's OK to kick homeless people, but worship those who made them that way, can bite my shiny metal ass.

I'm not saying that these are your motivations or that you are crap for your choices. Just my observations of those who follow it...

At it's root, this is the same problem that CCers have with OCers. The demeaning insults. The superiority complexes. The idea that no matter how evil you are, as long as you look good doing it, then it's ok.

I don't understand the motivation of a person who willfully disposes of their higher brain functions in favor of behaving like a rabid animal. I refuse to give it much thought. So, I can't relate to that mentality.

Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Last edited by ixtow; 07-01-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    While it is a fact, what you state about perception, looks, etc... It is part of the problem. I've never met a respectable well-dressed rich man. But the decent fellow in the clothes that rich man left him with, gets treated badly...

I already dress as I do to throw off people who think that way. I wear flip-flops and painted my toenails pink, just to get a reaction from the animals. Someone's gotta do it...

Hate of any kind is unacceptable. Those who think it's OK to kick homeless people, but worship those who made them that way, can bite my shiny metal ass.

I'm not saying that these are your motivations or that you are crap for your choices. Just my observations of those who follow it...

At it's root, this is the same problem that CCers have with OCers. The demeaning insults. The superiority complexes. The idea that no matter how evil you are, as long as you look good doing it, then it's ok.

I don't understand the motivation of a person who willfully disposes of their higher brain functions in favor of behaving like a rabid animal. I refuse to give it much thought. So, I can't relate to that mentality.

Be the change you want to see in the world.
    In fact I totally agree with you that one should not be judged on how they choose to dress, but also have the realization that in today’s society the concept of exercising your second amendment right is truly foreign to the majority of Americans. To change that perception will take patience and perseverance. Pink toenails (on a man) would not, even in today’s society, be considered a normal activity. I myself choose not to judge anyone who exercises their right, but rather acknowledge and embrace it. I only hope to change the opinion of as many of the majority (who do in fact judge people, and vote) even if it requires being a chameleon. No superiority attitude do I ever carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast