• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attire while OCing?

Ratt402

I have to admitt, I see both sides. I personely dress normal (if that is the correct term and sorry if it isnt) for someone of my age (46) I dont wear baggy jeans and look like a thug. Not saying that everyone who does wear clothes like that is a thug, but remember, we are talking about the general public. The old saying goes "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck" Not saying its right, just thats how it is.

I OC as well as CC, depending on mood and what I am wearing, etc. I also have to agree with the bit about how you carry yourself as well. Thats goes to what I was raised with.

My own opinion, and I am not saying I am right or wrong, just my own thoughts is that when you consider strapping your handgun to your hip, you have to accept the responsibility that you are exersizing your 2nd amendment right, but also the very possibility that you might (God forbide) have to draw your weapon and use it.

So, with that in mind, you might want to consider this, while doing this, how you dress while carring a weapon is greatly percieved from the general uninformed public as are your a thug and people need to be afraid of you, or are you a someone they dont even give a second glance.

I fully support open carry, so please don't get me wrong, I just do not want to send the wrong message while doing so. Please don't go spouting anything about the law not saying what to wear or what not to wear, thats not the issue I am talking about. There is a difference between a legal right and a moral right. Yes, you have every right to wear the same clothes and your local gang-o-thugs wear and use a hip-drop holster like in the wild west and have an "Im-a-badass-MFer" just because you can cause your not doing anything legally wrong, but don't start complaining when you get hassled by the police, store managers, and citizens around you.

Like I said, I am not saying I am right nor wrong or anyone else for that fact, just tossing my two cents worth in.
A little common sense does go a long way though, something to think about.

Hope I didnt offend anyone as that was NOT my intent, and if I did, I am sorry.

Semper Fi!

Jbenarao

I have to admitt, I see both sides. I personely dress normal (if that is the correct term and sorry if it isnt) for someone of my age (46) I dont wear baggy jeans and look like a thug. Not saying that everyone who does wear clothes like that is a thug, but remember, we are talking about the general public. The old saying goes "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck" Not saying its right, just thats how it is.

I OC as well as CC, depending on mood and what I am wearing, etc. I also have to agree with the bit about how you carry yourself as well. Thats goes to what I was raised with.

My own opinion, and I am not saying I am right or wrong, just my own thoughts is that when you consider strapping your handgun to your hip, you have to accept the responsibility that you are exersizing your 2nd amendment right, but also the very possibility that you might (God forbide) have to draw your weapon and use it.

So, with that in mind, you might want to consider this, while doing this, how you dress while carring a weapon is greatly percieved from the general uninformed public as are your a thug and people need to be afraid of you, or are you a someone they dont even give a second glance.

I fully support open carry, so please don't get me wrong, I just do not want to send the wrong message while doing so. Please don't go spouting anything about the law not saying what to wear or what not to wear, thats not the issue I am talking about. There is a difference between a legal right and a moral right. Yes, you have every right to wear the same clothes and your local gang-o-thugs wear and use a hip-drop holster like in the wild west and have an "Im-a-badass-MFer" just because you can cause your not doing anything legally wrong, but don't start complaining when you get hassled by the police, store managers, and citizens around you.

Like I said, I am not saying I am right nor wrong or anyone else for that fact, just tossing my two cents worth in.

Semper Fi!

+1

I agree. Not saying that it's right but perception is everything in this day and time.

62 Caddy

Semper Fi!

+2
Absolutely agree, marketing to the public is everything to promote a cause or product. In this case it is to normalize the perception of open carry by law abiding citizens who not only care about their own safety, but also vote for those that enact laws enabling us to do so. If you won’t wear it to grandma's, don't wear it when you OC.
Must be a Marine, Go Navy.;)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
While it is a fact, what you state about perception, looks, etc... It is part of the problem. I've never met a respectable well-dressed rich man. But the decent fellow in the clothes that rich man left him with, gets treated badly...

I already dress as I do to throw off people who think that way. I wear flip-flops and painted my toenails pink, just to get a reaction from the animals. Someone's gotta do it...

Hate of any kind is unacceptable. Those who think it's OK to kick homeless people, but worship those who made them that way, can bite my shiny metal ass.

I'm not saying that these are your motivations or that you are crap for your choices. Just my observations of those who follow it...

At it's root, this is the same problem that CCers have with OCers. The demeaning insults. The superiority complexes. The idea that no matter how evil you are, as long as you look good doing it, then it's ok.

I don't understand the motivation of a person who willfully disposes of their higher brain functions in favor of behaving like a rabid animal. I refuse to give it much thought. So, I can't relate to that mentality.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Last edited:

62 Caddy

While it is a fact, what you state about perception, looks, etc... It is part of the problem. I've never met a respectable well-dressed rich man. But the decent fellow in the clothes that rich man left him with, gets treated badly...

I already dress as I do to throw off people who think that way. I wear flip-flops and painted my toenails pink, just to get a reaction from the animals. Someone's gotta do it...

Hate of any kind is unacceptable. Those who think it's OK to kick homeless people, but worship those who made them that way, can bite my shiny metal ass.

I'm not saying that these are your motivations or that you are crap for your choices. Just my observations of those who follow it...

At it's root, this is the same problem that CCers have with OCers. The demeaning insults. The superiority complexes. The idea that no matter how evil you are, as long as you look good doing it, then it's ok.

I don't understand the motivation of a person who willfully disposes of their higher brain functions in favor of behaving like a rabid animal. I refuse to give it much thought. So, I can't relate to that mentality.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

In fact I totally agree with you that one should not be judged on how they choose to dress, but also have the realization that in today’s society the concept of exercising your second amendment right is truly foreign to the majority of Americans. To change that perception will take patience and perseverance. Pink toenails (on a man) would not, even in today’s society, be considered a normal activity. I myself choose not to judge anyone who exercises their right, but rather acknowledge and embrace it. I only hope to change the opinion of as many of the majority (who do in fact judge people, and vote) even if it requires being a chameleon. No superiority attitude do I ever carry.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
In fact I totally agree with you that one should not be judged on how they choose to dress, but also have the realization that in today’s society the concept of exercising your second amendment right is truly foreign to the majority of Americans. To change that perception will take patience and perseverance. Pink toenails (on a man) would not, even in today’s society, be considered a normal activity. I myself choose not to judge anyone who exercises their right, but rather acknowledge and embrace it. I only hope to change the opinion of as many of the majority (who do in fact judge people, and vote) even if it requires being a chameleon. No superiority attitude do I ever carry.

I look weird, but I act more civilized than most. Those who can't see it, don't deserve to.

asullivangarner

New guy here...

Good Evening.

I just started reading this forum, but registered so I could post my opinion on condeist's question.

I do not open carry, but am glad that it is legal in NC. One should wear whatever attire suits them, as long as said attire does not restrict access to ones weapon. Practice makes permanent. If you want to open carry with pink toenails and a tutu, just make sure you wear that outfit to the range.

Glad to be here,

asg

DocWalker

I find that the larger caliber weapons tend to make my thong ride up to much....just kidding a sense of humor my wife doesn't always understand. I work in a hospital and they frown on my wearing a sidearm, but after work I'm usally dressed well in slacks and button shirt usally with a tie. But have carried on weekends running to the store in DCU's (old military desert uniforms) I wear when working on the yard. I have a collection from my visits to Iraq and Afganistan so I thought I would use them.

tim12232

In the winter, I dress much nicer. Polos, button up shirts, nice sweaters, etc. Usually wear jeans or dressy pants, sometimes with a scarf. During the summer I wear long jeans or sometimes shorts with basic t-shirts, short sleeve button up shirts, or polos.

I'll wear Chuck Taylors in the winter and summer. Dress shoes only in the winter and Rainbow sandals only in the summer.

I'm rather metro and enjoy dressing nicely. I also like for my gun to match my clothing somewhat. Wearing a pink striped polo for a day? The cocobolo 1911 grips won't match to well with that, so I'll sport the XD in a serpa. Wearing a nice button up shirt with Rainbows? The cocobolo grips match perfectly!

HAHAHA congrats on first person to use the word metro that i have seen in NC!!!! Thank you for clearing that up! I recently moved here and am concerned about my rainbow "brand" sandals being acceptable! I am in all seriousness the same way, it was one of the first posts I read on this forum about dressing well for OC. People dont look at you the same if your well dressed and sport'n cocobolo grips on your cbob! :dude:

Last edited:

ocgso

1. When I started I was concerned with my look and tried to dress a step up from normal.

2. Now I don't really care. If I'm changing the oil in the car, I might OC to the auto parts store in grubby/greasy clothes. Mowing the grass, same thing.

How do you keep from messing up your holster? Please tell me!!

In response to OP, I dress however I am dressed that day. I have OC'ed in cargo shorts and flip flops with an Eric Cartman shirt that says "Respect My Authority". I try not to wear stuff like this when I have a gun, but it has happened.

I have a $3 work had that says in big white letters "CSI". I will not OC with that on (I change hats) because I don't want people to think I am (or am trying to be) LEO.