• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My carry gun - and sort of a range/training report

apierce918

I bought my EMP back in April with plans on using it as my primary conceal carry gun when Wisconsin passes whatever it is we will pass. Shot about 200 rounds through it, and I was convinced the sights were not correct, I was shooting about 4" low at seven yards.

Called up springfield and asked if it was possible that someone grabbed the wrong sights, he said those are the only sights they put on them, but they would take a look at it. If they put it in their ransom rest and it hits the bull, there is nothing they can do. I said fine, since I knew it would hit low. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and I sent out my gun the following monday.

I got the gun back last thursday (I was out of town and told them not to ship until after the 6th of June) and they had replaced both front and year sights with sights of a different height. They also included a target with a 5 shot group from 25 yards showing 4 within 2", and the 5th shot at 3". Still pretty good in my book for a compact 1911.

I had an IDPA shoot on saturday where I have been shooting my USP... well I was itching to run my EMP after the sights so I took that instead, and that is going to be some of the best practice I can get. Courses were fun and had close encounter drills where we fired from low retention, targets from behind hard cover, hostages, and drawing from concealment.

I havent seen my scores yet, but I really was pleased with how it went, I didnt miss any targets (though I did get a missed shot where I hit a guy in hard cover so it counts as a miss) and no malfunctions (due to the gun...)

The gun is VERY tight, I cannot yet use the slide stop on reloads so I am getting some good slingshot reload practice. It is so tight, that when I was loading to capacity per IDPA rules, I racked the slide, dropped the mag, stuck in a full one and readied up... buzzer goes off, Draw, aim... *click* CRAP, lol. Gave it a HARD rack and then finished the course. When I first tried to load a round, I went back far enough to cock the hammer, but it didnt strip a round off. Each time after that I made it a point to check the chamber indicator that a round was in there :)

I plan on running this the rest of the year, even though I'm at a huge disadvantage for actual "winning" I'm running in the same class as people shooting full size 9mm 1911's. Oh well, it's great practice and loads of fun!

I plan on purchasing a Galco concealment holster and belt in early july so I will be 100% ready when Wisconsin's new carry laws take affect.

Carry On!

IMG_2929.jpg

carry for myself

absolutely gorgeous. i was concidering a kimber crimson. but this EMP looks great. might have to take a look at them