Thread: Excellent experience with UOC in Mendocino County

Thumbs up Excellent experience with UOC in Mendocino County

Had a great experience with UOC in Ukiah downtown today... Police department was very helpful, did not even bother with a 12031(e) check, did not get any calls from concerned citizens, and I went into a handful of stores and restaurants without any problems. Bravo, Ukiah.

please explain how the police were helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by jufam44 View Post
    Had a great experience with UOC in Ukiah downtown today... Police department was very helpful, did not even bother with a 12031(e) check, did not get any calls from concerned citizens, and I went into a handful of stores and restaurants without any problems. Bravo, Ukiah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    please explain how the police were helpful?
    Welcome to the board, jufam44. It's customary to provide more detail to your UOC account besides that it was a great experience. It is reassuring to the veterans of the board when you can describe your planning and any encounters you have, so we can determine whether you have taken the necessary precautions and know all the relevant information about carrying an exposed handgun in California.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Welcome to the board, jufam44. It's customary to provide more detail to your UOC account besides that it was a great experience. It is reassuring to the veterans of the board when you can describe your planning and any encounters you have, so we can determine whether you have taken the necessary precautions and know all the relevant information about carrying an exposed handgun in California.
    Sorry for the lack of clarity. I started at the safeway in the downtown area, and walked to the walmart on the other side of town, in the opposite direction of the school zones, which end at their farthest approximately a half mile before safeway on the main stretch of State Street in downtown Ukiah. When I say the police were helpful, I spoke on the phone with a Sgt. Baartz, Ukiah PD, prior to arriving in Ukiah. He appeared to be very well versed on open carry, and was kind enough to alert his dispatchers that someone would be UOCing in the downtown area. He also notified Mendocino County Sheriff and CHP, all of whom passed me at least once while I was strolling about with my dog, and did not stop to perform a 12031(e) inspection. Approximately 4 hours after arriving in Ukiah, I left without any problems. Hence, I found it to be an overall good experience.

Prior to my trip to Ukiah, with help from the Ukiah School District website, google maps, and google search, I printed a map of the downtown area with each school and its accompanying 1000' radius drawn in a circle of blue, making it very easy to see where the school zones ended in relation to my position and choice of venues to patronize.

Best
    -Max

Quote Originally Posted by jufam44 View Post
    Sorry for the lack of clarity. I started at the safeway in the downtown area, and walked to the walmart on the other side of town, in the opposite direction of the school zones, which end at their farthest approximately a half mile before safeway on the main stretch of State Street in downtown Ukiah. When I say the police were helpful, I spoke on the phone with a Sgt. Baartz, Ukiah PD, prior to arriving in Ukiah. He appeared to be very well versed on open carry, and was kind enough to alert his dispatchers that someone would be UOCing in the downtown area. He also notified Mendocino County Sheriff and CHP, all of whom passed me at least once while I was strolling about with my dog, and did not stop to perform a 12031(e) inspection. Approximately 4 hours after arriving in Ukiah, I left without any problems. Hence, I found it to be an overall good experience.

Prior to my trip to Ukiah, with help from the Ukiah School District website, google maps, and google search, I printed a map of the downtown area with each school and its accompanying 1000' radius drawn in a circle of blue, making it very easy to see where the school zones ended in relation to my position and choice of venues to patronize.

Best
    -Max
    Were you carrying an active audio recorder or pamphlets? Were you with friendly witnesses?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Were you carrying an active audio recorder or pamphlets? Were you with friendly witnesses?
    I had an audio recorder, yes, and about 10 of the californiaopencarry.org "Yes it's Legal" pamphlets on me.