• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excellent experience with UOC in Mendocino County

jufam44

Had a great experience with UOC in Ukiah downtown today... Police department was very helpful, did not even bother with a 12031(e) check, did not get any calls from concerned citizens, and I went into a handful of stores and restaurants without any problems. Bravo, Ukiah.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Had a great experience with UOC in Ukiah downtown today... Police department was very helpful, did not even bother with a 12031(e) check, did not get any calls from concerned citizens, and I went into a handful of stores and restaurants without any problems. Bravo, Ukiah.

please explain how the police were helpful?

Welcome to the board, jufam44. It's customary to provide more detail to your UOC account besides that it was a great experience. It is reassuring to the veterans of the board when you can describe your planning and any encounters you have, so we can determine whether you have taken the necessary precautions and know all the relevant information about carrying an exposed handgun in California.

jufam44

Welcome to the board, jufam44. It's customary to provide more detail to your UOC account besides that it was a great experience. It is reassuring to the veterans of the board when you can describe your planning and any encounters you have, so we can determine whether you have taken the necessary precautions and know all the relevant information about carrying an exposed handgun in California.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I started at the safeway in the downtown area, and walked to the walmart on the other side of town, in the opposite direction of the school zones, which end at their farthest approximately a half mile before safeway on the main stretch of State Street in downtown Ukiah. When I say the police were helpful, I spoke on the phone with a Sgt. Baartz, Ukiah PD, prior to arriving in Ukiah. He appeared to be very well versed on open carry, and was kind enough to alert his dispatchers that someone would be UOCing in the downtown area. He also notified Mendocino County Sheriff and CHP, all of whom passed me at least once while I was strolling about with my dog, and did not stop to perform a 12031(e) inspection. Approximately 4 hours after arriving in Ukiah, I left without any problems. Hence, I found it to be an overall good experience.

Prior to my trip to Ukiah, with help from the Ukiah School District website, google maps, and google search, I printed a map of the downtown area with each school and its accompanying 1000' radius drawn in a circle of blue, making it very easy to see where the school zones ended in relation to my position and choice of venues to patronize.

Best
-Max

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I started at the safeway in the downtown area, and walked to the walmart on the other side of town, in the opposite direction of the school zones, which end at their farthest approximately a half mile before safeway on the main stretch of State Street in downtown Ukiah. When I say the police were helpful, I spoke on the phone with a Sgt. Baartz, Ukiah PD, prior to arriving in Ukiah. He appeared to be very well versed on open carry, and was kind enough to alert his dispatchers that someone would be UOCing in the downtown area. He also notified Mendocino County Sheriff and CHP, all of whom passed me at least once while I was strolling about with my dog, and did not stop to perform a 12031(e) inspection. Approximately 4 hours after arriving in Ukiah, I left without any problems. Hence, I found it to be an overall good experience.

Prior to my trip to Ukiah, with help from the Ukiah School District website, google maps, and google search, I printed a map of the downtown area with each school and its accompanying 1000' radius drawn in a circle of blue, making it very easy to see where the school zones ended in relation to my position and choice of venues to patronize.

Best
-Max

Were you carrying an active audio recorder or pamphlets? Were you with friendly witnesses?