• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IL trooper encounter

Tony4310

I was in IL ( couldn't get back to MO fast enough ) visiting my cousins this weekend and I got stopped by a trooper for my plates ( they expire next month ). He took my license to make sure it was current I suppose and he got wide eyed and unsnapped his gun holster walking back when he found out I had a CCW and started asking if I had a fire arm on my persons or concealed and loaded in my vehicle lol. He also is unaware of Missouri rules because he assumed I was required to have a fire arm permit and asked for my Missouri permit. That is when I informed him MO doesn't require registration or permitting of fire arms in our state because we live in a pretty free state ( compared to IL ). I told him ( this is what I said ) I fallowed IL's anti constitutional gun laws to the letter while transporting my weapon through your state. He didn't seem to like that too much,but I was legally transporting so he sent me on my way. Had fun shooting at my cousins farm.

REALteach4u

(not giving legal advice here) Wait a second. You were stopped by an Illinois trooper with valid tags? What did he say was his PC?

Why I ask is because Illinois has a bad habit of targeting anything with Missouri tags. We hit Illinois from time to time and I've watched Troopers let Illinois tags fly by 20mph over the speed limit, but pull out for a Missouri tag going just 5mph over.

If the PC isn't there you MUST file a complaint with that Trooper's HQ as well as the ILAG. If it adds up like it sounds then it's another clear example of Illinois police-state tactics. Technically, no PC means you should not have to submit to any requests of the LEO on the stop as the stop is unlawful...ie under the color of law. One more reason to carry a recorder at all times!

If anyone travels to Illinois, know their gun laws for peaceable journey and follow them to the letter. Know that you have NO right to self defense in Illinois, you WILL go to jail. Also remember one very important case during vehicle stops: Grant v. Arizona. Absolutely DO NOT give any LEO in Illinois consent to search your vehicle.

Why? If they find a firearm, even in a locked case, they're going to press the matter and some have been known to say it's illegal for anyone to have a firearm in Illinois without the Illinios FOID card, which cannot be obtained by someone who is not a resident of Illinois. Personally, if an irresponsible Trooper unsnaps his holster I'm taking that as a threat and WILL be filing a complaint.

So what I'm gathering thus far is this: Unlawful stop by Trooper under the color of law (no PC present), runs your license through DOR to obtain some sort of evidence or to find out if you have a warrant under the color of law stop, finds out you have a CCW permit and communicates his heightened state of readiness (a threat) by unsnapping his holster, and begins to question you to the potential presence of a firearm in an attempt to gain evidence that you've committed some crime again under the color of law stop. If Illinois would have passed CCW, their troopers would likely know that a CCW permit requires a background check. Proves that they refuse to educate themselves to the kinds of issues that could save their own lives.

Last edited:

Tony4310

He said he stopped me because he thought my tags were already expired. I didn't buy it either. I do plan to file a complaint.

Last edited:

MKEgal

PC = Probable Cause [to believe there's been a crime committed]
RAS = Reasonable Articulable Suspicion [of a crime being committed]

RAS is the standard needed for a nonconsensual stop, whether in a car or afoot.
PC is the standard needed for arrest.

You might want to browse www.flexyourrights.org & watch their videos (also available on YouTube).

And while you're on YouTube, search for "don't talk to cops" & watch both videos.
Part one is a lawyer talking at light speed, explaining why talking to cops is (practically) never a good idea.
(If it's a friendly chat, fine. If you've called asking for help, probably OK. If they've shown up unbidden & are questioning you about a potential crime, not.)

Part two is a cop who is training to be a lawyer who pretty much says "yeah, what he said", then explains some of the tricks they use.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Complaint====> trash can.

Sticker color same as an expired IL color, end of discussion, file 13 on complaint.

Damn constitutionalist! Always trying to flex their rights!

/sarcasm mode off

Enter PRIL at ones own peril. My own atty clearly defined NEVER take firearms into IL. Not the laws that bother him, the corruption is so rampent it is sad. The good folks serving over there have no chance, the bad ones bring em down right beside them.

Richieg150

why show him ID if you were not committing a traffic offense?
Law of simple mathamatics:
No video device and no voice recorder of any kind, being activated at time of stop + Illinose Trooper,full of testosterone,and possible corrupt,like most of Illinoise government , MAY = I wish I would have given my ID when asked...

mspgunner

Still learning lingo. What PC?

There is alot more to learn than just what you get ina CCW class, especially if you OC. Thank goodness I met DOC, his is a walking encyclopedia and a cut above when it come s to dealing with LEOs, especially LEOs and CCW!

You need to come out and join us for a get together....

Tony4310

I only dealt with the trooper because my back was hurting and I wanted to get there so I went along so I could get going. It only took 6 or 7 minutes luckly.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Several people have mentioned a recorder. I am almost positive that IL has STRICT recording laws requiring both parties consent. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I would look it up and cite but I'm at the doctors on my phone, + I am lazy. :-D. Remember, just because it is legal in MO doesn't mean it is somewhere else.

xd shooter

Illinois's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Illinois makes it a crime to use an "eavesdropping device" to overhear or record a phone call or conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. The law defines an "eavesdropping device" as "any device capable of being used to hear or record oral conversation or intercept, retain, or transcribe electronic communication whether such conversation or electronic communication is conducted in person, by telephone, or by any other means." 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/14-1, -2.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/illinois-recording-law

mspgunner

Several people have mentioned a recorder. I am almost positive that IL has STRICT recording laws requiring both parties consent. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I would look it up and cite but I'm at the doctors on my phone, + I am lazy. :-D. Remember, just because it is legal in MO doesn't mean it is somewhere else.

I saw this some place as well. I do think IL. has a law against a person recording LEOs unless permission is obtained first. It made reference to 4 states I recall and others considering it. The article made reference to Rodney King in CAand how there would have been no evidence against the LEOs unless the citizen had recorded the incident.

mark-in-texas

I saw this some place as well. I do think IL. has a law against a person recording LEOs unless permission is obtained first. It made reference to 4 states I recall and others considering it. The article made reference to Rodney King in CAand how there would have been no evidence against the LEOs unless the citizen had recorded the incident.

?? If you have to ask them if you can record, do they have to ask your premission to be recorded?? If not, can you tell them to stop??

Superlite27

"Ohh. What's really going to bake your noodle later on is....Would you still have broken it if i hadn't said anything?"

Call me Oracle.

Didn't I say something to you Thursday about IL Troopers reacting to "CCW" on you driver's licence?