• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SSA2 for SB93. This is what they will be voting on Tuesday 6/14.

safcrkr

I posted this over on AR15.com WIHTF. I base this on what the Dems griped about last week at the finance committee, and what they tried to put in the last bills in '03 & '05.

Here's some of the amendments the Dems are sure to offer:

Lots of additions to "no carry" areas, including sporting events (pro, college, high school), concerts, fairs, festivals (like Milwaukeefest), playgrounds, public parks, day-cares, churches.

Flip-flop of posting requirements, making all private businesses no-carry unless sign is posted welcoming carry.

Elimination of "car carry" without permit.

Increasing training requirements.

Not decreasing penalty for GFSZ without permit (bill takes away the felony except for school grounds).

Not allowing carry in GFSZ.

Putting permit data base in "open records".

Making cc without permit a felony.

I don't expect any of the above to pass.

These below might have a chance at passage:

Requiring proof of identification and WI residency by requiring copy of drivers license or photo ID in application (surprised that's not in the bill already).

Mandating that courts notify DOJ of all convictions of domestic battery, which would nullify gun ownership rights of anyone holding permit, so DOJ could revoke permit. Bill requires notification of felony convictions and restraining orders so DOJ can revoke/suspend permits. They'll argue domestic battery convictions should be included in the notifications. I have no counter argument as to why they should not. ?

The way the bill stands now, reciprocity is granted to all states' permits that require a background check. I'd expect the same training standards as WI residents to be added to reciprocity acceptance.

Putting a "tag" in DOT database on permit holders DLs and vehicle tags, so LEOs know when they run a plate or DL if there's a permit in hands of driver or vehicle owner. (LEOs want this one badly).

Outdoorsman1

no car carry for 4 months why?
is this in reference to permit car carry? will we get any other car carry option? or will 'free man' ( no permit) carry still be under unloaded encased blah-blah?

Any loaded car carry might have to wait the 3 months...permit for concealed or open carry loaded without permit.... both will not be legal until the 3 (4) month waiting period is over.

No permit needed for car carry. Still a little fuzzy on the GFSZ without a permit in a car. The reason for 3 months is that the law doesn't take effect for 4 months after the governor signs it.

No permit needed for loaded open carry in a car....
permit needed for concealed car carry...
both looks like 3 or 4 month wait.......

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am lucky my computer will not type swear words....

Outdoorsman1

PS: I guess I will be foolish enough to still hope this gets changed before the final vote or some how Walker cange change it with his veto pen...???? But I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Grant Guess

Putting a "tag" in DOT database on permit holders DLs and vehicle tags, so LEOs know when they run a plate or DL if there's a permit in hands of driver or vehicle owner. (LEOs want this one badly).

Fk this.

I have yet to imagine WHY a LEO needs to have this information, be it for a traffic stop or whatever. I have asked the Milw PD and the state police assn on FB and none even attempt to answer the question. Imagine that....

Can anyone here play the devil's advocate and tell me what benefit that a policeman would have by knowing that I am armed when he stops me for whatever reason?

Now I see TWO databases existing if they slip this through.

BROKENSPROKET

You are right. I am sorry that my wishful laziness made you do all that work to correct me. (lol)

So, If it was ammended to include the bold, we would be good then.

SECTION 101.0Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th
month beginning after publication, except as follows:
(1) The treatment of sections 66.0409 (6), 165.25 (12), 167.31 (2) (b), (2) (c), (4) (at), 175.49 (4), 175.60 (2m) and (5), and 947.01 (2) of the statutes and SECTION 100 (1) and (2) of this act take effect
on the day after publication.

So.... as of this moment... no car carry for 4 months.
I have to laugh alitlle. It all depends on where you live. I have been OC in my car for more than 9 months. I had an off-duty Sheriff Deputy park next to me, he got out and talked to me through my passanger window. Although, we did talk about the future of CC, my holstered sidearm that was in plain sight was not even discussed. After that, in the same city, a City Officer that had witnessed me get in and out of my car without unholstering just smiled at me. I must say, it is good to live in a county right next to Jackson County.

MKEgal

safcrkr said:
Requiring proof of identification and WI residency by requiring copy of drivers license or photo ID in application (surprised that's not in the bill already).

Mandating that courts notify DOJ of all convictions of domestic battery
I thought both were already included?
I remember reading somewhere in the specifications for what can be on the permit app it requires your DL or state ID #.
Good thing is that the bill prohibits the DOJ from putting anything on the app that's not listed in the law.

I hope this will be on WI Eye tomorrow.

apjonas

Can Somebody Doublecheck

The way I read SSA2 (as it now stands):

Assuming the bill is passed and published by the end of June.
By August 1st, the application form must be available.
By August 1st, the design of the license must be completed.
Once these two items are done (which may, but probably won't, be done earlier):

From the first day the application is available until September 30th,
an application must be processed within 45 days.
From October 1st onward, an application must be processed within 21 days.

So if an application is submitted on August 1st, the license would be due by September 14th.
An application submitted September 8th has a license due October 23nd
An application submitted October 1st has a license due on October 22nd

The moral of the story is that if you don't submit by September 7th, it's better to wait until October 1st. These may be off by a day, depending if the date of application counts or not. If the publication is July, etc., adjust the months accordingly. "Bullet" Bob LaFollette is likely to drag things out so the bill needs to be passed, signed and delivered to the SoS by the 20th. And I'm pretending that the likely court challenges won't happen....

Deek

This might be a silly question, but with the car carry thing removed and being allowed to open or concealed carry in car does this mean I would be able to be holstered up on my bike?. I wondered this yesterday while trying out the new gun toteable "trunk" I just put on the bike. With the " not in or on a vehicle " thing gone, then I should be able to get on and go... right?. Or am I not reading it right?

oliverclotheshoff

This might be a silly question, but with the car carry thing removed and being allowed to open or concealed carry in car does this mean I would be able to be holstered up on my bike?. I wondered this yesterday while trying out the new gun toteable "trunk" I just put on the bike. With the " not in or on a vehicle " thing gone, then I should be able to get on and go... right?. Or am I not reading it right?

i would think uou should be able to

M

McX

Any law enforcement officer who uses excessive force based solely on an
individual’s status as a licensee may be fined not more than $500 or sentenced to a
term of imprisonment of not more than 30 days or both. The application of the
criminal penalty under this paragraph does not preclude the application of any other
civil or criminal remedy.

kinda k-mart prices, but better than nothing.

Weapon" means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c)
(a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

so i get a gun, and the criminals still get the extras.

(c) Unless expressly provided in this section, this section does not limit an
individual’s right to carry a firearm that is not concealed.

page what? and they finally mention OC

1r. that could limit the places where the licensee
may carry a weapon, with a place for the applicant to sign his or her name to indicate
that he or she has read and understands the statement.

i presume we will be given a list.

(ar) Any law enforcement officer who uses excessive force based solely on an
individual’s status as a licensee may be fined not more than $500 or sentenced to a
term of imprisonment of not more than 30 days or both. The application of the
criminal penalty under this paragraph does not preclude the application of any other
civil or criminal remedy.

is this a light reference to OC too?

While carrying a firearm, enters or remains at a special event if the
organizers of the special event have notified the actor not to enter or remain at the
special event while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm.

no summerfest carry.

school zone stuff is toward the end.

Jesse

No wonder it takes them forever and a year to get anything done... endless rambling.. I'm watching the budget bill bit for the past 45 minutes and so far they haven't even gotten to real work.

Jesse

ok, maybe I need some education on things.... I watched the Assembly for an hour, saw a bunch of rambling, thanking people for doing their jobs that went on and on... then someone stands up starts yelling in the audience, someone asked for recess and poof, gone... are they taking a lunch break or have they finished without even addressing the budget bill? saw a few smirking Democrats and that was it.

apierce918

ok, maybe I need some education on things.... I watched the Assembly for an hour, saw a bunch of rambling, thanking people for doing their jobs that went on and on... then someone stands up starts yelling in the audience, someone asked for recess and poof, gone... are they taking a lunch break or have they finished without even addressing the budget bill? saw a few smirking Democrats and that was it.

I didn't think they were addressing the budget until 5pm?

CalicoJack10

I am watching intently, and I am already angry that my senator is missing in action. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.......... Time to make a call or 2.