• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SSG Tactical to add Brick and Mortar

TFred

SSG Tactical, a regular at most Virginia gun shows, has announced plans to open a retail store in Fredericksburg, just a few hundred yards east of Exit 130 off I-95.

Firearms dealer opening store in Fredericksburg

Spotsylvania County-based firearms dealer SSG Tactical is opening a 3,750-square-foot retail store at the Westwood Office Park off State Route 3 in Fredericksburg...​

Note that the Westwood Office Park is adjacent and to the west of the Westwood Shopping Center, which is a strip center anchored by Staples, and Lone Star Steak House, and easily visible from Route 3. The office park is a little harder to see from the road, and has several buildings completely out of sight towards the back.

ETA: Finally some competition for the ridiculous prices at Gander Mountain!

TFred

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I made a purchase through SSG Tactical and was pretty happy. I had to bug the guy every week or so until the BATFE got off their butt and approved my tax stamp.

I'm glad they are expanding and wish them the best.

Last edited:

lagmonkey

ETA: Finally some competition for the ridiculous prices at Gander Mountain!

TFred

I laughed hard just now because that was my exact reaction when I first heard the news. :banana:

Also, read the comments at the bottom of the article when you get a chance. Entertaining to say the least.

TFred

I laughed hard just now because that was my exact reaction when I first heard the news. :banana:

Also, read the comments at the bottom of the article when you get a chance. Entertaining to say the least.
Welcome to OCDO! And yeah... well, small businesses aren't noted for extremely competitive pricing, but any competition is better than none. What we really need is a Bass Pro Shop! But with one in Ashland, we'll never see one here.

The comments on the article are typical for what I usually see on the newspaper's website. A few paranoid, anti-gun lunatics, quickly rebutted by many more sensible people. :)

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Is this yet another of those places where you have to be a FacePage/MyBook user to read comments?

This social medial crud is really beginning to get in the way of being a curmudgeonly Luddite.

stay safe.

lagmonkey

Is this yet another of those places where you have to be a FacePage/MyBook user to read comments?

This social medial crud is really beginning to get in the way of being a curmudgeonly Luddite.

stay safe.

I suspect their comments area for articles has an expiration date.

Now I wished I had grabbed a screen shot of the page when the comments were still visible. The gal who made the comment about a store that "sells killing" and the pro gun tsunami that dropped on her head shortly after made my day.

TFred

stay safe.
The Free Lance-Star has been converting their comment system from a self-maintained system to Facebook-based comments over the past few months. They started with the on-line versions of their printed news stories, and more recently have converted their Blogs.

I am quite angry about this change. Comments and community reaction in general to the news becomes a part of the story, and is a factor that has only recently been technically able to be captured with any reliability and longevity. When they abandoned their own system and gave the function to Facebook, they guaranteed that eventually these comments, and this valuable historic contextual information, would be lost forever.

It is an extremely foolish trend on the part of many news media outlets, but common sense and in this case, even the very mission of the organization are sacrificed in the name of a buck.

TFred

Badger Johnson

Went by SSGTactical in the Westwood shopping center today. Nice place. Two big BMG black guns on the front desk. Lots of black guns, and other long guns. Suppressors, holsters, other supplies. Two full counters of handguns, Glock, FN, SA, SigSauer, you name it.
Minimal clothing - supposedly going to get the full line of 5.11

Two shelves of used handguns. Prices are higher than Gander Mountain, though. :(

Got a boresnake for the handguns, and some cupholders with a skull on them (lol). Didn't have the magazine I'd hoped for my Ruger.

Sales people are very nice. Everyone in the store (personnel) were OC-ing Glocks.

VGOF

I stopped by SSG Tactical earlier this week and I was pleasantly surprised at the layout of their store and the number of firearms they had for sale. Congrats to these guys for getting a new bricks and mortar place going, and best of luck to them. They definitely have a nice start!