• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response to McCaskills letter

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Truth in response to recent McCaskill letter:

June 10, 2011
Dear Mr. C,
Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the chance to respond.
As you know, the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees Americans the fundamental right to bear arms.

…I know that, what is in question is whether or not YOU know it.

I strongly support legal and safe gun ownership by law-abiding citizens and have consistently voted to uphold this constitutional right.

….Uhm, your voting record on firearms related issues sucks, it is pathetic, in fact the only time you ever give a positive vote on a firearms issue is when it is totally begnin and you have a boat load of pork tossed into it spending my monies.
At the same time, we have to make sure that guns do not fall into the hands of individuals who should not have them.

…No, we don’t and we already know we can’t, it is not fantasy here, criminals will always have guns because they are criminals.

While gun control has traditionally been a divisive topic, I believe we can all agree that law enforcement authorities should work to reduce the number of criminal firearm-related injuries and fatalities while upholding individual gun rights.

….Nope, we don’t all agree, many of us are well beyond the theory that law enforcement has anything to do with firearm related injuries. God love em for what they try to do, but I would wager that 99.9997% of the time law enforcement shows up AFTER the shots have been fired. I will grant you I know more than a few officers that would indeed step right into the firefight to stop it, but they generally are too far away and they report what happened, not prevent it from happening.

I joined many Missourians in supporting this ruling.

… No ya didn’t, you made phone calls to your campaign manager and asked how to handle the loss and spin it into something positive for you.

Moreover, since coming to the Senate in 2007, I have voted to support gun rights. For example, in the 111th Congress, I voted to permit gun owners to carry firearms in their checked bags when traveling on Amtrak trains and to require the National Park Service to honor state gun laws when gun owners enter National Parks in their states.

…Uhm, no ya didn’t, senate bill 1067 for national parks…McCaskill voted NO. You might want to discuss researching your actual voting record prior to having a campaign manager write this crap for you.

I am pleased that both of these common sense provisions, which enhance the ability of sportsmen to enjoy activities like hunting, have become law. Please know that I will continue to support the right of law-abiding citizens to safely own firearms.

…Ok, there is the problem, you just do not understand. It is not about YOU or any other governmental dimwit supporting US. It is ALL about restricting the government from enacting unconstitutional laws! See when they say they want to close the loop holes, you are SUPPOSED to say there are no loop holes and the government has no more business regulating firearms than they do free speech. Now wasn’t that lesson easy?

Defending individual gun rights while at the same time reducing gun crime and improving gun safety is a delicate balance.

…No its not, there is no balance. You are supposed to defend the constitution as written the end, its real simple, do that, win votes.

All too often, Missourians wake up to poignant news reports of shootings, armed assaults and gun-related deaths of the previous night. Similarly, over the past decade approximately 130 elementary through high school-level students lost their lives in school shootings.

… Those school shootings were extremely rare prior to the gun free school zone act. Immediately following that school shootings went up nearly ONE THOUSAND PERCENT. 200 years prior to the act, 8 incidents, after the act in 1990 more than 8 times that many aka 65 in 21 years, brilliant law eh, highly effective eh? How was your voting record on that one?

Law enforcement authorities should improve the process of background checks for court-determined, dangerous mental conditions at the time of all gun sales.

… No, they should be on the streets making friendly contact with citizens and they should be operating within the constitutional boundaries. I am not sure at what point you were convinced that a criminal would indeed walk into a store where he knows he is going to undergo a back ground check by the FBI. I know they are stupid but I have never known a cop to say that a criminal came up to them and asked them if they could have a gun. You forcing the law abiding to do so is ineffective and has never worked.

Also, I think we should consider placing certain restrictions on assault weapons and closing the gun show loophole.

…Assault weapon is a fabricated term used to scare folks and scaring folks is a method of control. Here is a clue, elections are coming up, you should not only be scared, you were never in control, you serve us not the other way around. The only loophole is the one in politicians whom pander, it is located between the ears.

Ultimately, it is important that any attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures not infringe upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burden the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. As your United States Senator, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun-related legislation.

… Promoting gun safety is brilliant and I believe in it 100%, however adding the word “measures” in there is slick, aka LAWS. The only gun safety laws required are the absolute restriction on government from regulating firearms in any manner what so ever, they can not manage themselves let alone the people of this country. Criminals never bother with being managed, that is why they are criminals.

You keeping my thoughts in your mind scares me, it means you are going to remain focused on stopping me from owning guns without fees, licenses, days to acquire, strip searches to prove xyz etc etc. You can have my vote, it is easy to get, just simply stand up like a strong woman and make a motion to get the government the heck out of my life at every single turn, that’s all I ask, when ya gonna step up?