Thread: Sign Still There. OC records.

Banned

Sign Still There. OC records.

I tried to start a conversation about the no weapons sign at the Oakland County Records, but was blown off. Politely. The preemption law has no penalty, so they really don't have to follow the law.

I wish they would do that with gun laws, prohibition, and speed limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKf34XeHxu0

Angry Weak laws = poor behavior by our officials often.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I tried to start a conversation about the no weapons sign at the Oakland County Records, but was blown off. Politely. The preemption law has no penalty, so they really don't have to follow the law.

I wish they would do that with gun laws, prohibition, and speed limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKf34XeHxu0

I was told to basically "SUE" the city if I wanted them to update their bogus ordinances because there is no law that requires a local unit of gov. to update them. My official finished his statement about suing them with "That's what we have insurance for!"

I almost puked directly on him after he uttered this gibberish. Nice to know they [Warren] have no problem ******* [urinating] away my tax dollars.
    Last edited by Centurion; 06-13-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo

Banned
    Well, we know what to do, question is, how do we do it? IIRC, to sue, you have to prove loss or damages.

As for the Oakland County issue, how about a letter, both email (then the same letter), in writing sent through snail mail, sent directly to Sheriff Bouchard? He seems to be pro-2A, pro-OC, and has helped us before. It is worth a try, and seems like it may resolve the issue.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Well, we know what to do, question is, how do we do it? IIRC, to sue, you have to prove loss or damages.
    Step 1. Hire a lawyer
    Step 2. Sue them in a court of equity (circuit court).

This is proceeded in some cases by step 0: get money
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned

I don't know how much I can fault them for it. That sign should not be there, but they should have some means to suggest that no one does anything stupid with guns there.

If I was in charge of it, I would want a sign that said "do not bring guns inside to register, this is no longer required, and please keep all other handguns properly holstered or in your car in order to avoid being charged with brandishing or other offenses"

They interact with a wide variety of people, all day, most of them owning guns, with a prison right outside. It's not the sort of place that you're likely to encounter trouble, but I am in no way opposed to them having a sign designed to discourage firearm related stupidity.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I don't know how much I can fault them for it. That sign should not be there, but they should have some means to suggest that no one does anything stupid with guns there.

They do, a uniformed officer with a gun.

They do, a uniformed officer with a gun.
    This is true, but it's much like the nonsense 7-11 signs that say "cash register has less than 50 dollars after dark". There is nothing wrong with a sign lessening the potential for stupidity, and again, it's their right to have a different sign which addresses their concerns without attempting to block people's rights.

To put it another way, I'd prefer a sign like the one I proposed over having bullet proof glass.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned
    Me too.

So, what happens if you just ignore the sign and walk in with your pistol in it's holster? After all, if the sign is unlawful, then we shouldn't have to obey the sign, right?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    So, what happens if you just ignore the sign and walk in with your pistol in it's holster?

Nothing, going by what happened when I did just that.

Too bad we can't just walk in with a screw driver, remove the sign, and walk out.

If there were enough people that walked in and posed for pictures in front of the sign (daily), they would probably remove it for being a nuisance.

Banned
    lol, or they would remove us for being a nuisance. They are literaly right behind the jail/

Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    Too bad we can't just walk in with a screw driver, remove the sign, and walk out.

If there were enough people that walked in and posed for pictures in front of the sign (daily), they would probably remove it for being a nuisance.

Too bad this would get too annoying and cost gas money. But if anyone knew anyone who ran a tourist bus service (preferable one that didn't speak English, like a Japanese tourist bus service), that would be GREAT! EVERYDAY a bus full of tourist coming in, and posing for pictures with the sign, that would be positively priceless.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless