• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sign Still There. OC records.

Centurion

Weak laws = poor behavior by our officials often.

I tried to start a conversation about the no weapons sign at the Oakland County Records, but was blown off. Politely. The preemption law has no penalty, so they really don't have to follow the law.

I wish they would do that with gun laws, prohibition, and speed limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKf34XeHxu0

I was told to basically "SUE" the city if I wanted them to update their bogus ordinances because there is no law that requires a local unit of gov. to update them. My official finished his statement about suing them with "That's what we have insurance for!"

I almost puked directly on him after he uttered this gibberish. Nice to know they [Warren] have no problem ******* [urinating] away my tax dollars.:banghead:

Last edited:

eastmeyers

As for the Oakland County issue, how about a letter, both email (then the same letter), in writing sent through snail mail, sent directly to Sheriff Bouchard? He seems to be pro-2A, pro-OC, and has helped us before. It is worth a try, and seems like it may resolve the issue.

Michigander

I don't know how much I can fault them for it. That sign should not be there, but they should have some means to suggest that no one does anything stupid with guns there.

If I was in charge of it, I would want a sign that said "do not bring guns inside to register, this is no longer required, and please keep all other handguns properly holstered or in your car in order to avoid being charged with brandishing or other offenses"

They interact with a wide variety of people, all day, most of them owning guns, with a prison right outside. It's not the sort of place that you're likely to encounter trouble, but I am in no way opposed to them having a sign designed to discourage firearm related stupidity.

Michigander

They do, a uniformed officer with a gun.

This is true, but it's much like the nonsense 7-11 signs that say "cash register has less than 50 dollars after dark". There is nothing wrong with a sign lessening the potential for stupidity, and again, it's their right to have a different sign which addresses their concerns without attempting to block people's rights.

To put it another way, I'd prefer a sign like the one I proposed over having bullet proof glass.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
So, what happens if you just ignore the sign and walk in with your pistol in it's holster? After all, if the sign is unlawful, then we shouldn't have to obey the sign, right?

kubel

Too bad we can't just walk in with a screw driver, remove the sign, and walk out.

If there were enough people that walked in and posed for pictures in front of the sign (daily), they would probably remove it for being a nuisance.

eastmeyers

Too bad we can't just walk in with a screw driver, remove the sign, and walk out.

If there were enough people that walked in and posed for pictures in front of the sign (daily), they would probably remove it for being a nuisance.
:lol:
Too bad this would get too annoying and cost gas money. But if anyone knew anyone who ran a tourist bus service (preferable one that didn't speak English, like a Japanese tourist bus service), that would be GREAT! EVERYDAY a bus full of tourist coming in, and posing for pictures with the sign, that would be positively priceless.