Thread: Maybe I should ask onanother website but...

Maybe I should ask onanother website but...

Ok.. I think the new bill includes "Knives" and "Electronic Weapons".

Is anybody hear familiar with the current (I think) 3" Max. legal blade length for a carry knife. Will the new bill eliminate the length limit which would allow carrying a sheath knife / Boot Knife, or will we still be restricted to the 3" blade limit..???

I might have to get me a new pair of boots......

Thanks

Outdoosman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I carry a 3" knife pretty much where ever I go.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I carry a 3" knife pretty much where ever I go.
    hoodlum..............dont mention your horn!

Doesn't the law classify it as a weapon once it's 3+ inches? I've always carried a 2.75" on my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    Doesn't the law classify it as a weapon once it's 3+ inches? I've always carried a 2.75" on my belt.
    Yes I always thought 3" and under was legal. I am wondering if by "Knife" being included in the new Caonceal Carry Permit Bill as a "dangerous weapon" if that would do anything to change or eliminate the 3" limit..????

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

Outdoorsman1

isnt >3" only illegal because then its a concealed weapon? if you have a permit.... Call up crocodile dundee

Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    isnt >3" only illegal because then its a concealed weapon? if you have a permit.... Call up crocodile dundee
    There is no magic " 3-inch blade " referenced in Wisconsin law. What sort of knife is considered "a concealed weapon" is in the eye of the beholder. Wisconsin law prohibits switchblades and gravity knives (which they don't even understand properly.) References to blade length are present in certain municipal ordinances. Milwaukee, for example, prohibits carrying a knife of 3-inches or greater. But there is no state-wide prohibition. Therefore, carry a 12-Bowie or a Swiss Army knife-- either way, you're taking your chances if you conceal it currently.

I wrote to Sen. Galloway last week and suggested that the preemption statute be modified to include weapons other than firearms also. That is because many weapons that will be allowed to be carried under the new law are probably still prohibited under many municipal ordinances. And there's nothing in the current bill that would stop those municipalities from continuing to enforce their prohibitions against knives of a certain design or blade length, clubs, stun guns, etc. This is a perfect time to eliminate the "patchwork of municipal ordinances" for non-firearm weapons that is similar to the one that used to exist for firearms.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

The blade on my CRKT M16-14 (been at my side for 12 years or better, is 3-7/8" long, My Spyderco Mini has a 1-7/8" blade and my Victorinox has two blades, the longest being, 2-1/8" I've carried all three for many years and have not knifed anyone yet. Any law these idiots make should have the disclaimer of "if used in the commitment of a crime."
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Ok.. I think the new bill includes "Knives" and "Electronic Weapons".

Is anybody hear familiar with the current (I think) 3" Max. legal blade length for a carry knife. Will the new bill eliminate the length limit which would allow carrying a sheath knife / Boot Knife, or will we still be restricted to the 3" blade limit..???

I might have to get me a new pair of boots......

Thanks

Outdoosman1
    There is no state law on knife length. Individual municipalities can set the length.

I do not believe SB93 changes that.

Thanks...

So it is kinda like SB-93 will make it legal to carry in a car but still illegal to carry in a school zone without the permit..

State law makes it legal to carry a kinfe with not length restictions, but different municipalities can restrict blade length..

So what..??? ... if you want to carry a sheathed (long blade) knife, you have to know each municipalities length limits....

As in whats happening to SB-93..... WTF...

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    you could always try the "i had no idea i could not carry this 12" bowie knife because you have a 3' blade limit"
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 06-14-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

You have to keep in mind and note if any laws or restrictions refer to fixed blade knives specifically. Out in a western state their laws specifically refer to fixed blade knives and to folding blade knives with different rules for each, 4" folder is no problem but a 2" fixed blade will get you in trouble if concealed.

And if Milwaukee does have a 3" maximum length for folding knives then there are a whole bunch of Morel mushroom hunters in violation with their 4"-5" hookbill folders.

I don't know why Milwaukee can be more restrictive than state laws when it comes to knives.
    I won't even ask about Madison.