• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maybe I should ask onanother website but...

Outdoorsman1

Ok.. I think the new bill includes "Knives" and "Electronic Weapons".

Is anybody hear familiar with the current (I think) 3" Max. legal blade length for a carry knife. Will the new bill eliminate the length limit which would allow carrying a sheath knife / Boot Knife, or will we still be restricted to the 3" blade limit..???

I might have to get me a new pair of boots......

Thanks

Outdoosman1

Vandil

Doesn't the law classify it as a weapon once it's 3+ inches? I've always carried a 2.75" on my belt.

Outdoorsman1

Doesn't the law classify it as a weapon once it's 3+ inches? I've always carried a 2.75" on my belt.

Yes I always thought 3" and under was legal. I am wondering if by "Knife" being included in the new Caonceal Carry Permit Bill as a "dangerous weapon" if that would do anything to change or eliminate the 3" limit..????

Outdoorsman1

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
isnt >3" only illegal because then its a concealed weapon? if you have a permit.... Call up crocodile dundee

There is no magic " 3-inch blade " referenced in Wisconsin law. What sort of knife is considered "a concealed weapon" is in the eye of the beholder. Wisconsin law prohibits switchblades and gravity knives (which they don't even understand properly.) References to blade length are present in certain municipal ordinances. Milwaukee, for example, prohibits carrying a knife of 3-inches or greater. But there is no state-wide prohibition. Therefore, carry a 12-Bowie or a Swiss Army knife-- either way, you're taking your chances if you conceal it currently.

I wrote to Sen. Galloway last week and suggested that the preemption statute be modified to include weapons other than firearms also. That is because many weapons that will be allowed to be carried under the new law are probably still prohibited under many municipal ordinances. And there's nothing in the current bill that would stop those municipalities from continuing to enforce their prohibitions against knives of a certain design or blade length, clubs, stun guns, etc. This is a perfect time to eliminate the "patchwork of municipal ordinances" for non-firearm weapons that is similar to the one that used to exist for firearms.

hardballer

The blade on my CRKT M16-14 (been at my side for 12 years or better, is 3-7/8" long, My Spyderco Mini has a 1-7/8" blade and my Victorinox has two blades, the longest being, 2-1/8" I've carried all three for many years and have not knifed anyone yet. Any law these idiots make should have the disclaimer of "if used in the commitment of a crime."

paul@paul-fisher.com

Ok.. I think the new bill includes "Knives" and "Electronic Weapons".

Is anybody hear familiar with the current (I think) 3" Max. legal blade length for a carry knife. Will the new bill eliminate the length limit which would allow carrying a sheath knife / Boot Knife, or will we still be restricted to the 3" blade limit..???

I might have to get me a new pair of boots......

Thanks

Outdoosman1

There is no state law on knife length. Individual municipalities can set the length.

I do not believe SB93 changes that.

Outdoorsman1

Thanks...

So it is kinda like SB-93 will make it legal to carry in a car but still illegal to carry in a school zone without the permit..

State law makes it legal to carry a kinfe with not length restictions, but different municipalities can restrict blade length..

So what..??? ... if you want to carry a sheathed (long blade) knife, you have to know each municipalities length limits....

As in whats happening to SB-93..... WTF...

Outdoorsman1

oliverclotheshoff

you could always try the "i had no idea i could not carry this 12" bowie knife because you have a 3' blade limit"

Last edited:

treebound

You have to keep in mind and note if any laws or restrictions refer to fixed blade knives specifically. Out in a western state their laws specifically refer to fixed blade knives and to folding blade knives with different rules for each, 4" folder is no problem but a 2" fixed blade will get you in trouble if concealed.

And if Milwaukee does have a 3" maximum length for folding knives then there are a whole bunch of Morel mushroom hunters in violation with their 4"-5" hookbill folders.

I don't know why Milwaukee can be more restrictive than state laws when it comes to knives.
I won't even ask about Madison.