Thread: Visiting OK

Visiting OK

I'll be visiting OK soon, and I'm hoping someone can clarify the laws there. From what I've read of the statutes, OK is draconian in respect to carrying a firearm. I really just want to have it in my rental car, not carry it around, as OC appears to be out of the question. So, can I keep a pistol, loaded or unloaded, in my rental car while in OK? Thanks in advance.

State Researcher
    Do you have a concealed handgun permit?
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCDL View Post
    Do you have a concealed handgun permit?
    Indeed that is going to be paramount in Oklahoma.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If you have a concealed permit in CO than you will be fine in OK as long as it is concealed. Just remember that OK is a shall notify state.

If you do not have a permit than you can not carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. You may carry an unloaded firearm, but the ammunition must be separate from the weapon.
    Last edited by hrdware; 06-14-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: clarification

No CCW permit, I'm loathe to get one because of the cost and hassle of getting a permit to do something that should be legal anyway, but I'm stubborn sometimes. Thanks for that portion of the statute, I had read that, but was a bit confused. It sounds like I can have it unloaded in the vehicle, in a case, in plain sight. Not excited about leaving it in plain sight for some loser to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    You have more options that that. The in plain sight requirement only applies if you want the firearm accessible to you while you are in the vehicle. While you are in the vehicle, the gun can be locked in the trunk or other exterior compartment, and when you exit the vehicle the gun can be concealed anywhere in the vehicle.
    Awesome, I appreciate that. Maybe I was reading too much into it, I don't know. I hope your lawmakers get it right one of these days, I'll probably be visiting OK regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    If you have a concealed permit in CO than you will be fine in OK as long as it is concealed. Just remember that OK is a shall notify state.

If you do not have a permit than you can not carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. You may carry an unloaded firearm, but the ammunition must be separate from the weapon.
    Shall notify only if its an arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. So one doesn't have to notify if they come into contact with a cop outside of those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Shall notify only if its an arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. So one doesn't have to notify if they come into contact with a cop outside of those situations.
    That's good to know, thanks. Hadn't thought too much about the 'shall notify' business.