• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i use my Florida permit to get an AZ?

rmodel65

So ive got my GA GWCL, PA LTCF, and FL CCW....can i use the FL to get the AZ license? it required training and the others did not...

MKEgal

Good place to start looking for info like this is http://www.handgunlaw.us/
On the left of the main page is a link that says "non resident permits".
It will take you to this PDF.
Arizona is at the top of the first page, & says that people must take an 8-hour class in AZ before they can apply.

But on pg 2 they say it can be done by mail & list approved training, which includes (inter alia):
any NRA course,
a hunter safety course from any state,
military service,
or another permit that required training or testing.

So it looks like the answer is yes, because FL requires training.

ETA:
According to this PDF from the above site, AZ honors all other permits/licenses. They're also a Constituitonal Carry state. This PDF includes more detailed information about getting a permit, as well as where you can't carry & other laws.

ETA 2:
According to the AZ website,
All training for an AZ CCW permit MUST be conducted within the borders of the state of Arizona
So maybe we're back to "no" again.

Then again, when you read the actual law, it says nothing about the training being only from AZ, and if they accept hunter safety from other states, doesn't it make sense that the training would be from another state, too?

I'm leaning toward "yes", because the LAW says nothing about the in-state-training restriction.
But you could also carry with no permit, or on the FL permit:
T. This state and any political subdivision of this state shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:
1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.
2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:
(a) Legally present in this state.
(b) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

So ive got my GA GWCL, PA LTCF, and FL CCW....can i use the FL to get the AZ license? it required training and the others did not...
I recommend going to the source, ARS 13-3112.N.7.

If you think your permit meets the requirements, contact DPS and ask them. If your FL permit qualifies they will send you the forms for you to complete.

As an FYI, on July 20th, AZ CCW laws will effectively mirror Florida's. There will no longer be any DPS approved course, instructors or organizations. DPS will be pushing paper only.

Fred

Last edited: