• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iwb oc

fire suppressor

Somehow today I misplaced my black hawk holster so when I left my place I had no choise but to use my IWB holster. I tucked my shirt in leaving about half of the gun clearly visible and half of he gun concealed. has it ever been discussed on the forum if this would he considered open or concealed carry? As I said about half of the gun visible and half concealed so I could see a argument being made either way.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1308043092637.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1308043092637.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 160

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Around here it's referred to as "the Virginia tuck". Legal here - do not know about in Washington.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

Somehow today I misplaced my black hawk holster so when I left my place I had no choise but to use my IWB holster. I tucked my shirt in leaving about half of the gun clearly visible and half of he gun concealed. has it ever been discussed on the forum if this would he considered open or concealed carry? As I said about half of the gun visible and half concealed so I could see a argument being made either way.
A quick look at Washington statues shows...

o To open-carry in a vehicle (i.e., car, bus, etc...) a person must have a valid concealed pistol license.

I would assume you are driving during the day. Do you have your CPL from Washington State? If so you're good to go either way.

o I would not recommend an Uncle Mike's style slippery IWB holster, since the HG can easily pop out if you squat and/or bend, depending on how lean you are and how tight your belt is, and how short your waist is (anatomy around the carry position) in the photo provided.

If you don't have a Wash. CPL, I would advise not OC-ing that way, though it may not be specifically illegal. I could not find with a quick search the 'definition' of CC in Wash State. There may be one.

Here's a link on the USAcarry.com forum.

hth

fire suppressor

I do have a cpl so I can legally drive while carrying. I was more curious than anything the definition of conceal carry as I could not find any one definition myself. I always have my cpl so I'm covered either way but was wondering if this would be considered cc or not by law.
Good eye it is a uncle mikes holster witch you are very correct on. They are not the greatest, the holster is prone to slipping out of your waist and the gun prone to slipping out of the holster it self.

Jeff Hayes

I do have a cpl so I can legally drive while carrying. I was more curious than anything the definition of conceal carry as I could not find any one definition myself. I always have my cpl so I'm covered either way but was wondering if this would be considered cc or not by law.
Good eye it is a uncle mikes holster witch you are very correct on. They are not the greatest, the holster is prone to slipping out of your waist and the gun prone to slipping out of the holster it self.

I carry IWB often maybe 30% of the time due to comfort and keeps it out of the way of the seat belt etc. I would say it would be considered OC in most states, I consider it OC. If one did not have a CPL an officer might try to make the argument you were concealing but with a CPL in Washington State there should be no problems just as in Virginia it is legal here.

im4Christ92

A quick look at Washington statues shows...

o To open-carry in a vehicle (i.e., car, bus, etc...) a person must have a valid concealed pistol license.

I would assume you are driving during the day. Do you have your CPL from Washington State? If so you're good to go either way.

o I would not recommend an Uncle Mike's style slippery IWB holster, since the HG can easily pop out if you squat and/or bend, depending on how lean you are and how tight your belt is, and how short your waist is (anatomy around the carry position) in the photo provided.

If you don't have a Wash. CPL, I would advise not OC-ing that way, though it may not be specifically illegal. I could not find with a quick search the 'definition' of CC in Wash State. There may be one.

Here's a link on the USAcarry.com forum.

hth

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

amlevin

I guess the answer to the question "concealed or open" amounts to whether a normal person could clearly recognize what you are carrying is a gun. If it is visible enough to be recognized as a gun, not a cell phone, multi-tool, eyeglass case, etc, then it is an openly carried firearm. Since there is no definition in the Statutes for a Concealed Firearm, then a it falls to how a reasonable person would view it. If it were concealed then nobody would see it, or any part of it, right?

ARADCOM

Iwb/owb

I only have one OWB holster (Blackhawk Serpa) and although I do OC it I find that rig is to large for "everyday" carry. My other two pistols are carried IWB and because they are visible I've always thought I was OC'ing when I carried those. I saw a quote somewhere that I thought covered it:

Judge- "Officer, how did you know he had a concealed weapon?

Officer- "I could see it."

Judge- "Case dismissed."

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
As long as you have your CPL, does it really matter? Both are legal.
I have also considered open carry is if someone can see any portion of the gun that can be distinguished as it being a gun.
In your pic, open carry.

For open carry I prefer and recommend a level 2 security holster for added safety and yes that holster sucks big time.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

As long as you have your CPL, does it really matter? Both are legal.
I have also considered open carry is if someone can see any portion of the gun that can be distinguished as it being a gun.
In your pic, open carry.

For open carry I prefer and recommend a level 2 security holster for added safety and yes that holster sucks big time.

Don't mean anything by this, directed at you, BD, but it's not what you think that's the problem. It's that some LEOs can twist this 'borderline' situation (their thoughts, not mine) into a means of hassling someone. If one can find a clear 'law' or something then they can feel a mite safer.

Lots of OC methods make the gun more-or-less visible (tighter to the body, same colored garments, body shape).

If a guy with a huge gut is OC, but the HG is obscured by a roll of fat, is that concealed? LOL, I really don't know, and it points out 'why should it matter'?

$.02

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
BJ It is not what I think, it is the law, open and concealed carry are legal as long as you have a CPL in Washington State. Concealed Carry has always been concealed from sight and if only a small portion is exposed it is not considered concealed and the opposite of concealed is, open carry.

If one was to conceal carry and reached for a product on the top shelf or bent down to pick something up and the gun was exposed, still legal as long as you have a CPL.

The only exception to my knowledge is if one was concealed carrying and exposed it to someone to intimidate them, then they are in big time trouble.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
The term Concealed is not defined in RCW 9.41.01 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010)

Therefore, I would fall back to the Legal Dictionary definition.(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/concealed)
Code:
Main Entry: con·ceal 
Function: transitive verb 
1 :  to prevent disclosure of or fail to disclose (as a provision in a contract) esp. in violation of a duty to disclose 

2 a :  to place out of sight 

NOTE: A weapon need only be placed out of ordinary observation in order to be considered a concealed weapon. b :  to prevent or hinder recognition, discovery, or recovery of < conceal ing  stolen property> — con·ceal·ment noun

LibertyDeath

For the most part a holstered gun has just as much exposed "gun" regardless of whether its IWB or not. You can still tell there is a gun on you.

sudden valley gunner

I don't carry a cpl when I carry my gun, I am always OC'ing. So it would be of some interest to me if I carried in IWB holster. I don't need a permission slip to bear arms.

The link is broken but uncoolperson had posted a video of a lawyer talking about how OC is legal and there is nothing the city can do about it. The case was because the police had arrested someone for having only a portion of their gun exposed when they were CC'ing and took their jacket off, while at a park. The holster the guy was wearing was similar to the OP's if I am not mistaken. And the city's lawyer considered it OC, and not concealed.

amzbrady

This has been discussed before, I asked just that because thats how I carry. I was told if someone ask's about your firearm then it's obvious that it is open carry. Least thats what someone told me.

I carry IWB. I was ecstatic when I found OCDO, because it is good to know I could take my jacket off without recourse, and that I didnt have to care what anyone thought. I mostly wear button up shirts that are a little baggy on the sides and I carry my CPL in case the shirt covers my firearm. For the most part, I know people see my firearm, because I am constantly tucking my shirt back in where it comes loose on the sides, and I have a stainless slide.

Badger Johnson

The problem is with the way some people, esp LEOs phrase it.

'For the most part'...'for all intents and purposes'...

Though they can see part of the HG, they can assert you were intending to CC and therefore you must have a permit. How do you fight this obvious ridiculous comment?

For an experienced HG user, a small amount of handle showing is a clear tell. For a non gun user, not so clear. To a LEO, he can assert 'it's not enough concealing'. How do you object and how do you make your intent clear?

'You intended to conceal it' - LEO
'nope' - you
'ya-huh' - LEO
uh-uh - you

So you end up arrested and let the judge sort it out. Stupid and unnecessary but happens all the time.

hermannr

I have much less gun showing with either of my holsters. My Colt holster covers everything but the butt of the handle, and my CZ holster covers even more, and I wear them open on my hip. It is not easy to conceal a 6" Colt Revolver, or a full sized CZ so I have never even tried. (I have a CZ52 and a CZ85) Really good retention, full cover flap.

You can plainly tell they are both nice leather holsters, but it is not plainly visible that the holster has a weapon in it or not.

Is that OC or CC? Really don't care, I have a CPL and can carry either way. If I was visiting my daughter in TX I might care, but not here in WA. I have never had a LEO complain, or even question me about it in 40+ years.

sudden valley gunner

The problem is with the way some people, esp LEOs phrase it.

'For the most part'...'for all intents and purposes'...

Though they can see part of the HG, they can assert you were intending to CC and therefore you must have a permit. How do you fight this obvious ridiculous comment?

For an experienced HG user, a small amount of handle showing is a clear tell. For a non gun user, not so clear. To a LEO, he can assert 'it's not enough concealing'. How do you object and how do you make your intent clear?

'You intended to conceal it' - LEO
'nope' - you
'ya-huh' - LEO
uh-uh - you

So you end up arrested and let the judge sort it out. Stupid and unnecessary but happens all the time.

I agree, but this isn't how our legal system is supposed to be based. If the law isn't clear the benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the civilian. We need to force our public servants to start thinking this way again.

I am not going to live in fear of what some rogue cop or prosecutor is going to charge or think.