Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man found with gun, package near Pentagon

Man found with gun, package near Pentagon

This situation as written the man should have been cited for illegal backing, but arrested for having a gun and a package in his car??? Something doesn't smell right. Sounds like he was open carrying and had a birthday present and invoked his rights..

Man found with gun, package near Pentagon -
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...ntagon-061411/

The Associated Press
    Posted : Tuesday Jun 14, 2011 8:20:38 EDT

ARLINGTON, Va. — Virginia State Police say a motorist found with a gun and what appeared to be a suspicious package near the Pentagon has been taken into custody.

Police say a trooper saw the vehicle backing up on a southbound Interstate 395 ramp around 8:30 p.m. on Monday. Police stopped the car and found a handgun and what they described as a "suspicious-looking package" inside.

State police bomb technicians and the Arlington County Fire Department responded to the scene and determined there was no explosive or suspicious device.

Police say the driver has been taken into custody with charges pending.

The incident shut down the ramp for hours Monday night.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    A gun and a package?

Sounds like a mailman.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Considering there's a Mall and a Whole Foods just across the street as well as numerous homes and an airport nearby a guy with a package would seem like a common thing. Many OC'ers have carried in/around the Shopping Mall/Whole Foods without incident.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member
    Well, the article does say that the arrestee was "backing up" a ramp. Guy should've been arrested for being stupid.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kaiheitai17 View Post
    Well, the article does say that the arrestee was "backing up" a ramp. Guy should've been arrested for being stupid.
    "Backing" (or reversing) on an interstate highway (and off/on ramps are included) is not an arrestable offense. It's a cite-able offense, but not "arrestable" on its own in that sense.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    "Backing" (or reversing) on an interstate highway (and off/on ramps are included) is not an arrestable offense. It's a cite-able offense, but not "arrestable" on its own in that sense.
    Well I backed down an interstate during rush hour once.
    I got lost near the beach and came to what the locals called the "High Rise Bridge".

I looked up that thing and through the clouds, standing at the top, was an angel with a **** eating grin on his face.

I threw it in reverse and backed down to a crossover and went the other way. No Cops around though.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I looked up that thing and through the clouds, standing at the top, was an angel with a **** eating grin on his face.
    For the life of me I have never been able to understand that particular construction.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiheitai17 View Post
    Guy should've been arrested for being stupid.
    While true, this is sadly not an arrestable defense. Well, maybe not sadly... I don't think we'd have enough room in the jail system for everyone if it was.

Depends on how near the p'gon he was - if he was within the bounds of the federal reservation or in that area that's part of DC, it's a federal or d.c. crime to be in possession of the gun. That's one place where the parking lot is off limits to gun totin' folks. Though it can be gotten around by pleading guilty to a "civil violation" and paying $1,000 to the USDC Magistrate Judge in Alexandria.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

The only "interstate" near the Pentagon is 395. The Pentagon is in Arlington... I trust everyone here knows that?

Both set of ramps and cloverleafs on the west side of the Potomac are in Virginia.

The stop was on Rt 27 near 110.

He was not on the Pentagon property.

Pentagon Police assisted with traffic control only for Arlington Fire EOD.

Carl

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    What ever happened to "Oh, crap, I missed my exit. Must go to next exit and return."? This back-up-on-an-interstate or stop-dead-in-the-left-lane-with-my-blinker-on-cause-I'm-stupid behavior is asinine.

Why ISN'T it an arrestable offense? It's certainly not conducive to public safety!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Why ISN'T it an arrestable offense? It's certainly not conducive to public safety!
    There's no law against stupidity.
    ---

For the life of me I have never been able to understand that particular construction.
    I assume you are referring to the expression "carp-eating grin."

Perhaps it is because it is so often misapplied. The phrase describes the facial expression of someone being forced into performing an action, or discovered concealing an embarrassment comparable in severity to the referenced activity, and trying to conceal their discomfort with forced joviality.

Founder's Club Member
    While I realize it is not an arrestable offense, it is stupid and dangerous to other motorists, AND it invites the man into your life, as the subject moron motorist discovered.

I agree with Tess, keep going and make your correction where it is safe to yourself and others to do so.

I Did Not Say It Was an Advisable Tactic

I merely remarked that it was a moving violation.

Depending on the environment - traffic, speed, etc - could he not have been charged with reckless driving? Being a criminal offense, I would expect reckless is automatically an arrest-able offense. ?

Blade

Being stopped on the shoulder (or breakdown lane), and moving backwards in that same lane, or even moving very slowly forward, and all virtually the same thing. Two are legal, one is not.

Yet more arbitrariness in traffic laws.

What I want to know is, what exactly was it that made the package "suspicious-looking"?

Somebody tell that guy to call me!
    Last edited by user; 06-16-2011 at 10:22 AM.

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    What I want to know is, what exactly was it that made the package "suspicious-looking"?

Somebody tell that guy to call me!
    It was wrapped in paper marked "Obama's certificate of live birth" ?
    Last edited by ProShooter; 06-16-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

"9/11/2001 - Pentagon Flight Path and Incident: Alternate Angle"

Depends on how near the p'gon he was - if he was within the bounds of the federal reservation or in that area that's part of DC, it's a federal or d.c. crime to be in possession of the gun. That's one place where the parking lot is off limits to gun totin' folks. Though it can be gotten around by pleading guilty to a "civil violation" and paying $1,000 to the USDC Magistrate Judge in Alexandria.
    What Federal Crime is it to have a firearm on a federal reservation?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Of all the people on OCDO, I would think that YOU of all people would know that there is NO part of VA that is "part of DC"--even the Pentagon.

The only time that DC has controlled property in VA where DC rules would apply was when the DC Jail was operational in Lorton VA, but that has been closed for years...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 06-16-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP What I want to know is, what exactly was it that made the package "suspicious-looking"?
    The same thing that makes furtive any body movement in the vicinity of a cop--LE prejudice, attitude, pre-conceived ideas, looking for an excuse, and refusal to exercise judgement.

Oh, and maybe--just maybe--the occasional need to make up something after the fact to justify the intrusion. But, that's just remote possibility. Rarely happens. Totally isolated incident when it occurs, if it ever does occur. So rare its hardly worth mentioning. I only bring it up to be academically thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Of all the people on OCDO, I would think that YOU of all people would know that there is NO part of VA that is "part of DC"--...
    Ok, I could have phrased it better - but part of the land on this side of The Great Water is "in" the Federal District of Washington. There's a stretch of land that the G.W. Parkway goes through N. of Alexandria and S. of the interchange with Rt. 50 that is not "in" Virginia. Actually, most of what's now Arlington Co. used to be the Southern part of the Federal District. But they gave it back. Guilt-ridden for what they did to the Custis-Lee Mansion, I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast