• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man found with gun, package near Pentagon

Ranger

This situation as written the man should have been cited for illegal backing, but arrested for having a gun and a package in his car??? Something doesn't smell right. Sounds like he was open carrying and had a birthday present and invoked his rights..

Man found with gun, package near Pentagon -
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/06/ap-man-with-gun-package-found-near-pentagon-061411/

The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday Jun 14, 2011 8:20:38 EDT

ARLINGTON, Va. — Virginia State Police say a motorist found with a gun and what appeared to be a suspicious package near the Pentagon has been taken into custody.

Police say a trooper saw the vehicle backing up on a southbound Interstate 395 ramp around 8:30 p.m. on Monday. Police stopped the car and found a handgun and what they described as a "suspicious-looking package" inside.

State police bomb technicians and the Arlington County Fire Department responded to the scene and determined there was no explosive or suspicious device.

Police say the driver has been taken into custody with charges pending.

The incident shut down the ramp for hours Monday night.

Marco

Considering there's a Mall and a Whole Foods just across the street as well as numerous homes and an airport nearby a guy with a package would seem like a common thing. Many OC'ers have carried in/around the Shopping Mall/Whole Foods without incident.

wylde007

Well, the article does say that the arrestee was "backing up" a ramp. Guy should've been arrested for being stupid.
"Backing" (or reversing) on an interstate highway (and off/on ramps are included) is not an arrestable offense. It's a cite-able offense, but not "arrestable" on its own in that sense.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"Backing" (or reversing) on an interstate highway (and off/on ramps are included) is not an arrestable offense. It's a cite-able offense, but not "arrestable" on its own in that sense.

Well I backed down an interstate during rush hour once.
I got lost near the beach and came to what the locals called the "High Rise Bridge".

I looked up that thing and through the clouds, standing at the top, was an angel with a **** eating grin on his face.:uhoh:

I threw it in reverse and backed down to a crossover and went the other way. No Cops around though.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Depends on how near the p'gon he was - if he was within the bounds of the federal reservation or in that area that's part of DC, it's a federal or d.c. crime to be in possession of the gun. That's one place where the parking lot is off limits to gun totin' folks. Though it can be gotten around by pleading guilty to a "civil violation" and paying $1,000 to the USDC Magistrate Judge in Alexandria.

wylde007

The only "interstate" near the Pentagon is 395. The Pentagon is in Arlington... I trust everyone here knows that?

Both set of ramps and cloverleafs on the west side of the Potomac are in Virginia.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
What ever happened to "Oh, crap, I missed my exit. Must go to next exit and return."? This back-up-on-an-interstate or stop-dead-in-the-left-lane-with-my-blinker-on-cause-I'm-stupid behavior is asinine.

Why ISN'T it an arrestable offense? It's certainly not conducive to public safety!

architect

For the life of me I have never been able to understand that particular construction.

I assume you are referring to the expression "carp-eating grin."

Perhaps it is because it is so often misapplied. The phrase describes the facial expression of someone being forced into performing an action, or discovered concealing an embarrassment comparable in severity to the referenced activity, and trying to conceal their discomfort with forced joviality.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member

While I realize it is not an arrestable offense, it is stupid and dangerous to other motorists, AND it invites the man into your life, as the subject moron motorist discovered.

I agree with Tess, keep going and make your correction where it is safe to yourself and others to do so.

blade10

Depending on the environment - traffic, speed, etc - could he not have been charged with reckless driving? Being a criminal offense, I would expect reckless is automatically an arrest-able offense. ?

Blade

KBCraig

Being stopped on the shoulder (or breakdown lane), and moving backwards in that same lane, or even moving very slowly forward, and all virtually the same thing. Two are legal, one is not.

Yet more arbitrariness in traffic laws.

user

Accomplished Advocate
What I want to know is, what exactly was it that made the package "suspicious-looking"?

Somebody tell that guy to call me!

Last edited: