• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Thwarts Potential Crime

bryguy1955

Last night as we were leaving our Open Carry Meeting at Wild Bills in Meridian my wife and I stopped by Maverick on the corner of Cherry Lane and Linder. As we pulled up 2 young men dressed in baggy attire blaring rap music pulled up next to us. As I entered the store, they noticed the gun on my hip. They nervously paced back and forth near the entrance of the store watching me. I rested my arm on my gun and looked them in the eye and they decided to get back in their car and drive away. That made my day!!!
This particular maverick has been robbed numerous times.

carracer

Have purchased from that particular store many times myself and have seen the unsavory characters that frequent there. I believe you are correct in that assumption. Great situation awareness!

Zhukov

Always good to keep an eye out.

I've found that open carrying in general seems to be a very good visual deterrent.

DocWalker

Federal Way Albersons car jacking....

I was wondering if the gentleman that got car jacked and robbed while getting gas at the Albertsons on Federal Way would have even been approached by the BG if he would have been wearing a sidearm. I'm willing to bet that the BG would have waited for someone else to attack as even a BG knows you don't take a knife to a gun fight.

clarkebar

Way to go Brian! I noticed you looked really nervous when you came back to Wild Bill's. Good thing they didn't try anything. It's always best to avoid conflict, I'm glad they used their better judgement.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Sarcasm on---- Couldn't have happened! Everyone knows that the OC'er will always be shot/killed and the crime will occur anyway once the OC'er has been executed! Sarcasm OFF.

Good job. I verbalized this type scenario to my local bank manager a year or so ago.... He liked the prospect of a BG leaving without having committing a crime and other benefits if the BG came in and saw an OC'er in line waiting for a teller!

Lthrnck

Agree

I agree with you Sparky... this could never happen.. the op must be making it up....

I know for a fact that you can not OC without getting shot first, and then have the criminal take your weapon.

How do I know this... I OC all the time in Ohio... and I have been shot and killed at least a dozen times...

Don't OC...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The OP might need some additional explanation for clarity. The way it is written, it is not obvious that the baggy-rappers were intent on crime, much less violent crime. Nor, that the overt motion to the gun was necessary, meaning it could be construed as an unnecessary threat based on the little information provided.

Hronisiver

The OP might need some additional explanation for clarity. The way it is written, it is not obvious that the baggy-rappers were intent on crime, much less violent crime. Nor, that the overt motion to the gun was necessary, meaning it could be construed as an unnecessary threat based on the little information provided.

come on now dont spoil their fun, we all know that baggy pants and loud music lead to crime 97% of the time, he did good by subtly threatening strangers and trying to be sheriff of citgo

carracer

Wow! To think of the many times I could have been arrested for the threatening behavior of "resting my arm" on my side arm!

How do you prove intent of the "Baggy-rappers"? You can't, therefore you look at the situation and the actions of the players and come to a conclusion based on your situation awareness at the time. Surely they had only forgotten their money and their pacing and concerned looking in the store were only fretting about how to pay for the Red Bull they were going to share. they were going to ask the clerk to loan them the money until they could come back later and pay for it. The mean ol' OP gave them such a stearn look and using his third hand attached to his elbow firmly grasping his offensive weapon shaking it menacingly and scared the pants nearly off the poor rappers! Just one more reason to ban open carry in Idaho. Surely someone should propose a law prohibiting carry within 1000' of baggy pants individuals.

I think the OP should hang his head in shame, travel from store to store and buy red Bulls for all Baggy Rapper persons.

wrightme

come on now dont spoil their fun, we all know that baggy pants and loud music lead to crime 97% of the time, he did good by subtly threatening strangers and trying to be sheriff of citgo
So, based upon the information presented in the OP, what conclusion do YOU draw? Now, accept the "baggy pant rapper" thing as simply a description that may set a tone, but is simply a description. If you prefer, substitute the clothing with "dressed all preppy and proper." But, ascribe the identical acts and mannerisms described, yet ignore the description of dress. THEN report your conclusion.