• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not OC because there are children - huh?

Badger Johnson

In the thread about WVCDL, one poster related:

I was stopped at the Quaker Steak and Lube at the Highlands last year by a Sheriff's Deputy who told me to cover my gun (since children were present). He was at all times professioal, but just did not know the law.

I just don't get this because 'children are present'. Is it because they are the height of the gun belt, because they might run up and get under foot? Because they might try to play with the gun and get it away from the OC-er?

Is it because seeing a gun (which they see on TV all the time) is traumatizing? Will the gun be more likely to go off?

If it "goes off", is it ok if only adults are accidentally shot? An adult, a breadwinner or parent being shot is actually worse for their family, though emotionally a wounded or killed child is a devastating loss in terms of the abject horror of seeing a bleeding child, I suppose.

Obviously, there are adult subjects, like pron, taxes, politics, but I just don't see how covering or removing a HG helps, or how a child being there is bad in the presence of a holstered HG. I really don't see it.

Anyone have any ideas, right or wrong, as to what these 'advocates of children' are getting at?

Dreamer

They are using the "emotional plea" to bully you into following their color-of-law ideas of what they WANT the law to be.

Ask for a citation to Statute.

As far as I know, there is no "think of the children" clause in the firearms law of WV...

GeoffD

I would think that OC would be a positive thing for children to see. Their natural curiosity provides a golden opportunity to enlighten the next generation of OCers...:idea:

Badger Johnson

Yes it is an emotional plea, but they must be thinking or envisioning something.

It's as though they think having the holstered HG is like carrying a poisonous snake and if a kid gets too close it will bite them.

If one had to choose for optimum safety as a HG carrier, it would be less drama to OC among lots of innocent children, who at most bump into you and each other, and greater potential 'drama' in a room full of opinionated and irrational adults who might actually try to wrest your gun away from you.

Maybe 'they' think it's because children are smaller and softer and a gun that just 'goes off' will hurt more due to reduced body mass or something. It's goofy.

dcmdon

I don't get that. I have a friend who is an active shooter, reloader, and gun owner and he hides his guns from his 5 year old.

My kids see me put the gun on, they know I carry it. They know what is happening when daddy comes home and disappears for a moment to lock them up.

My goal is to normalize things as much as possible for them.

GuidoZ

My 5 year old daughter is amazingly comfortable with it. In fact, she will frequently ask if I have my gun on me, almost making sure I didn't forget it. She will also ask sometimes for clarification, because she wants to make sure she's "careful". Though as a father I appreciate that, I've also made a point to educate her on proper treatment. (She knows not to try to grab it, touch it, etc... but if she accidentally rubs against it when hugging me or something, it's perfectly safe and ok.)

On top of that, her friends are curious, but I've never had an issue with any of them (4-6 yr olds) feeling "threatened", or anything remotely close to that, when they see a gun on my belt. They might ask if it's real, if I always carry it, etc... but never "Take it away, it scares me!"

I don't get it either... unless he was speaking of the adult children who can't handle it. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In the four years I have been OC'ing on a regular basis, I have only had one negative encounter and that was in a McDonald's from another customer who was getting a take out order. He claimed he was a retired LEO but judging from his accent, he was not from Virginia. One of the things he chided me about was having an exposed firearm visible by so many children. The old, "for the children" argument really makes me sick. Anyway, he acted like a fool and I kept my cool and that's all that mattered to me.

Badger Johnson

Good replies. I've thought about it and it might be an extension, though erroneous, to the idea that children should be 'shielded' from all things harsh, or bad, or potentially frightening.

The adults 'project' onto the child that gun=murder or similar 'bad' things, perhaps.

For me as a kid 'gun=Lone Ranger' and 'Wild Bill Hickock', and playing cowboy and war and general fun.

So, in effect adult projection that kids will be traumatized by the harshness of carrying a 'weapon' around and maybe the adult doesn't want to have to 'explain it' to the kid. In fact the preconceptions the 'scared adult' has would do more harm to the child than the actual act/vision of the HG.

$.02

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Good replies. I've thought about it and it might be an extension, though erroneous, to the idea that children should be 'shielded' from all things harsh, or bad, or potentially frightening.

The adults 'project' onto the child that gun=murder or similar 'bad' things, perhaps.

For me as a kid 'gun=Lone Ranger' and 'Wild Bill Hickock', and playing cowboy and war and general fun.

So, in effect adult projection that kids will be traumatized by the harshness of carrying a 'weapon' around and maybe the adult doesn't want to have to 'explain it' to the kid. In fact the preconceptions the 'scared adult' has would do more harm to the child than the actual act/vision of the HG.

$.02

Yep.

Last edited:

SavageOne

Perhaps, they are concerned that children are inquisitive and curious. The sight of someone actually carrying and acting in a responsible manner could lead these children to doing the same when they grow up. What's more it could also lead to the children learning about the Constitution and their natural born rights. Our, hard earned, tax dollars for years have been spent to foster a strong apathetic streak in the youth of America. Do you people not realize that exercising your rights in such a public and responsible manner could destroy years of government indoctrination!

FOR THE LOVE OF A NON-SPECIFIC, GENDER NEUTRAL, ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY DEITY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

dcmdon

My only concern is that I want to control who my children tell that I am carrying. My 3 year old can't keep her mouth shut. The concern isn't enough to keep me from allowing her to see me carry, but I would like to be able to control who knows. I don't have a solution to this, so I just live with it. its more important that my child see firearms as normal things like toasters and cars.

I don't open carry for my own reasons. (I don't want to get into that discussion)
But I also don't make much of an effort to conceal, and I completely support those who choose to OC.

Don

Last edited:

rpyne

One of my all time best OC experiences was at a family reunion. A four year old niece came up and asked my why I wear a gun. To keep it simple, I told her "so I can protect the people I love." I later overheard her telling one of her cousins, "Uncle Richard loves me because he is ready to protect me."

MKEgal

dcmdon said:
My kids see me put the gun on, they know I carry it. They know what is happening when daddy comes home and disappears for a moment to lock them up.
It sounds like you don't carry in the house.
So what do you do for in-home protection?

LEO: "Cover your firearm, there are kids around."
ME: "It's a pistol, not a penis."

rpyne said:
I later overheard her telling one of her cousins, "Uncle Richard loves me because he is ready to protect me."
WIN! :lol: :monkey :banana:
Would that other people could grasp the concept so easily.

Badger Johnson

So what do you do for in-home protection?

LEO: "Cover your firearm, there are kids around."
ME: "It's a pistol, not a penis."

LEO: "Well, it's a penis to me, honey"...

:rolleyes:

dcmdon

So what do you do for in-home protection? .

I don't carry in the house. Its all about risk/reward or cost benefit however you want to describe it.

I live in a town that has not had a non-domestic related homicide in 30 years. I have a dog, my doors and first floor windows are always locked and I have multiple loaded guns, including long guns, placed within quick access in places that my wife or I would retreat to.

That works for me.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I'd say an openly carried firearm is a lot safer for the children.

When I was shopping at a grocery store I was CCing on my hip with an IWB holster. Some little out of control rugrat decided he needed to run past me. Well, he clipped his forehead on the handle of my XDm as he passed me. I'm surprised he didn't start crying and get his mom or dad involved... It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, too. I accidentally pistol whipped a child without touching my firearm or even exposing it.