• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick easy question

Charles Alderson

I'm sure this has been asked before but my firefox browser wont let me search your forums even with noscript disabled. Please forgive me if this has been asked a lot.

In the state of Alabama, an OC state, do I need a holster for my pistol or is it ok to carry as long as the pistol is visible? (Front of pants / Pocket / tucked in belt)

Thank you in advance for any answers.

eye95

You don't have to disable NoScript completely just allow (or temporarily allow) recaptcha and google. Oh, and be sure to use the advanced search, filling out the captcha field.

In Alabama, concealment is not defined. A firearm in an OWB uncovered holster would be considered open carry. You could easily run afoul of what an officer or a court thinks is concealment if you put your gun in your pocket, even with some of it exposed.

I advocate only for OC of a properly holstered firearm.

Welcome, Charles, to OCDO.

Brimstone Baritone

In Alabama, concealment is not defined. A firearm in an OWB uncovered holster would be considered open carry. You could easily run afoul of what an officer or a court thinks is concealment if you put your gun in your pocket, even with some of it exposed.

Small nitpick, these cases can be used to reasonably define carry as either open or concealed.

"Unless a weapon can be seen by an ordinary casual observer it is concealed within the meaning of this section [13A-11-50]" -Driggers v. State, 123 Ala. 46, 26 so. 512 (Ala. 1899)

"The fact that a weapon is not seen by one person but could have been seen by others does not amount to concealment." -Smith v. State, 96 Ala. 66, 11 So. 512 (Ala. 1892)

Welcome, Charles, to OCDO.

This I can agree with 100% :)