• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 650 passes 2nd and 3rd reading in Senate...Open Carry specifically mentioned

Godscreation

"As provided in G.S. 14‑269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State‑owned rest area, at any State‑owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State‑owned hunting and fishing reservation."
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H650v4.html

Great news! Let's keep these pro gun bills coming! I'm pretty sure this OC section was added by Senate members! How wonderful is that! An amendment that improves a bill! The Castle Doctrine looks intact and stronger than ever, and a few other nice nuggets included in the bill that will lax our laws a bit.

chiefjason

We lost a few things too since the original bill. And I really wanted a few of those to stay. It's a step in the right direction for sure. Just not as big a step as I'd hoped for in some areas.

Just remember, last year we could not even get a weaker CD out of committee. Progress through voting and emails, we need to remember those folks that supported this when elections come.

Northerner

As the House and Senate come closer to adjournment for the summer (bogus IMO), there were several other Bills that all but needed a Senate or House vote (i.e., HB 111, 72, etc). Will GRNC provide a final tally of these Bill's current states of review, if they will be voted on before adjournment, and when they will be picked up again and in what state (i.e., back to committee or stays open for a vote in the Fall or 2012, etc.)? What if any will be Law on December 1st 2011?

EricDailey X-NRA

No New OC in NC

"As provided in G.S. 14‑269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State‑owned rest area, at any State‑owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State‑owned hunting and fishing reservation."
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H650v4.html

Great news! Let's keep these pro gun bills coming! I'm pretty sure this OC section was added by Senate members! How wonderful is that! An amendment that improves a bill! The Castle Doctrine looks intact and stronger than ever, and a few other nice nuggets included in the bill that will lax our laws a bit.

I'd rather have pro Second Amendment bills.

HB650 does not add any OC in NC. HB650 does not address OC in any way. It is only referring to existing law to continue it in the new law. This "mention" of OC is only because it is already law. This only refers to existing law of G.S. 14-269.4(5) banning weapons on state properties but that allows some exceptions. The new bill H650 does NOT add any OC in NC.

This is the link for ... page 9, line 17...(c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5),

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H650v4.pdf

WTFOVER

The new bill H650 does NOT add any OC in NC.

Your awful hung up over OC not being added aren't you?

Anyways, besides the constant replies of NC didn't add anything about OC in it, this is a great step forward for NC. Its about time they finally did something in the right direction.

aosailor

Your awful hung up over OC not being added aren't you?

Anyways, besides the constant replies of NC didn't add anything about OC in it, this is a great step forward for NC. Its about time they finally did something in the right direction.

I'm with Eric on this one. this is an OC website. It seems to me that too many of us who frequent this website wet our pants when a gov. official evens mentions OC in a positive way. We shouldn't let it be that easy for our elected officials anymore. It has been made obvious that "Pro 2nd Amendment" organizations like the NRA and GRNC either can't, don't or won't work to enact new laws that positively affect OC in our state. So if they don't do it, we must.

Yes the legislation in works is a step in the new direction for carry laws in general, but as of right now has no effect on OC in NC.

62 Caddy

I know those in this thread are more in touch with the details written into existing law, but from what I have read, this is the first I have seen where "open carry" is actually mentioned on paper. But again, I have not read everything out there in legislation. So at a minimum it would be a good start with recognition of open carry as a true method of carrying in public.
My two cents

rotorhead

I'm in agreement as well concerning more being done to clarify law concerning OC, as well as repealing restrictive and unconstitutional laws that damper a person's right to openly carry.

What some are trying to imply here, though, is that it's not always so easy to do it, that's all.

There's several approaches that can be used. One way is to pound your fists on politician's desks and demand that they adopt your positions regardless of any other influences. Another is to work them as hard as you can within the myriad of opposition in a system that dances on the line between sanity and complete idiocy. Which one do you think has a greater chance for success?

I'm glad there are groups out there that are able to get even a little morsel of freedom for us when they can. I sure don't have the time at this point in life to devote the number of hours dealing with some of these idiots in Raleigh. Nor do I have an unlimited amount of cash to spend on lawsuits to try and challenge some of these laws. Without some of these groups doing the work for us we'd be toast in regards to further restrictions.

I have issues with a CHP becoming the standard for which gun legislation is built on. But, it seems that's also our foot in the door in Raleigh at this point, too. After the last election, we finally have a few politicians who actually care enough to spend their time pushing these bills for us, but if anyone thinks they are doing it alone, they need to get up there and see how this stuff works. Simply put, the fact that these bills that we have been watching all year were not left in the dust is a direct result of GRNC's persistence.

How many here can honestly say that they knew half as much as they did about these bills this past year without the alerts, emails, and posts by GRNC members here or elsewhere?

Remember, I said honestly...

Think about it. It's sad, but it's also the reality right now. We simply cannot get as much done in Raleigh as we would all like. I'd love nothing more than to wake up one day and see that all of the idiotic restrictive laws concerning gun ownership were suddenly repealed. But, that is nothing more than fantasy. In reality, getting any kind of exiting laws amended or changed up there is a long, drawn out process. Consider the sheer number of hours that are needed to draft legislation, meet with the politicians, influence them enough to have them introduce the bills, and then follow their every move through both houses and onto the Governor's desk.

Consider now that the original drafts are almost never accepted. That means going back and making the changes, bringing them back to the Rep's offices, and starting the process over and over again.

Even if you were the only one trying to grab the politician's attention, all of this takes an incredible amount of time. Now add in the concerns of the pork industry, the tobacco industry, the highway projects, the local library foundation, the auto dealers association, the local unions, the education issues and unions, and every other possible concern people can think of, all of whom are trying to get "just a minute of your time, sir".

Given that, you can start to see why only certain things make their way into the bills that are introduced, and I haven't even brought up the amount of opposition that a politician gets when considering these bills. That adds a whole new element to the fight. Certain things are simply not going to be considered right now and a lot of that is based on the amount of opposition that will come. They take into account that some things just won't pass right now due to the political climate. They are simply not going to waste the time to do it at this point because they know the issue would be dead and buried before it even hit's the GA floor for consideration.

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to see more movement in the area of OC, but I also understand that it's not going to happen anytime in the next few months. I'm happy for the CC'ers and their victory today, though. By getting even these few things passed, it now opens the door for further victories- and that's what it's all about.

One more note and I'm done:

I wasn't going to go into it but I saw that cricketdad did a few posts ago. One thing that GRNC won't do is openly announce what they are intending to do on open forums. At first one would think that the secrecy is somewhat snobby, but the reality is that there are definitely people and groups that watch every move they make for various reasons. After hearing a few stories, it's easy to see why they have adopted this position. This is the main reason why I encourage others to contact the leadership directly through email or phone calls, instead of trying to get information on an open forum.

Once again, I highly encourage people to contact GRNC with any concerns, issues, suggestions, or simple notes saying hello and thanks. These guys listen. I can state for a fact that they will get back with you in short order, no matter your concern. Talk with them, folks. Let them know what you'd like to see introduced. Let them know your concerns, and let them know you appreciate what they are doing.

Last edited: