• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin to get CCW very soon..Concealed carry passed the senate on Tuesday...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Now on to the Assembly on Thursday, then to the Governor for signing next week it looks like.... then we have to wait 3 months for it to take effect. It's too bad that Ill will be the only state left that does not trust it's own citizens with the ability to defend themselves.

district9

Depending on where you live in some of the may issue states they might just as well be no issue.

What does the WI bill do for reciprocity? Will WI recognize licenses/permits from all other states or just certain ones?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Depending on where you live in some of the may issue states they might just as well be no issue.

What does the WI bill do for reciprocity? Will WI recognize licenses/permits from all other states or just certain ones?

Since I don't travel reciprocity means very little to me... but since Wisc will be basing it's CC law on the Florida Permit
I am sure a few states will recognize Wisconsin's permit.

MKEgal

district9 said:
As it stands now... WI will recognize all other permits.
The bill still has to get through the Assembly, so there's the possibility that could change.
Of course, that's only for out-of-state residents.

Ken8521

As it stands now... WI will recognize all other permits.
The bill still has to get through the Assembly, so there's the possibility that could change.
Of course, that's only for out-of-state residents.

Is there a final writing of the bill as it was passed yet? The way I read it(could be wrong) so long as the state recognizes the WI permit, it will recognize theirs. Very similar to Florida. Florida recognizes most states, but not all.

Florida also only recognizes Resident permits, I wonder how WI will handle that.

district9

Is there a final writing of the bill as it was passed yet? The way I read it(could be wrong) so long as the state recognizes the WI permit, it will recognize theirs. Very similar to Florida. Florida recognizes most states, but not all.

Florida also only recognizes Resident permits, I wonder how WI will handle that.

Actually IIRC Florida recognizes any state that recognizes the Florida license. They would recognize every state license if every state would recognize the Florida license. Some states like CA, HI MA, MD, NJ, NY etc recognize no other licenses which is why Florida doesn't recognize their licenses.

Maybe WI will also only recognize resident licenses. I have no problem with that, but people in may issue states might. Still their state, their rules. Just glad to see WI moving forward.

junglebob

Florida also issues non-resident permits and you don't need your states to get it. I haven't heard that Wisconsin is going to issue to non-residents.

lockman

State Researcher
The current version passed by the senate does not provide for the issuance of permits to non-residents. Although the recognition of foreign permits does not differentiate between resident or non-resident. The recognition of foreign permits will be published by the WI DOJ shortly after passage into law. The statute compels the DOJ to recognize all foreign permits that have a background check and training equivalent or exceeding that of WI. So any state that requires at least an NRA basic pistol and provides a criminal background check should be on the list. The DOJ may also enter into reciprocal agreements with other states, I am not sure if these states may or may not have to have the equal or better standard.