Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List your Snappy Answers re: "Why do you need to carry a gun" ?

List your Snappy Answers re: "Why do you need to carry a gun" ?

Short Answer
    Skull :Normal Thickness ( not typical )

Them : Why do you feel you need to carry a gun ?

You : Why do you feel you need to carry a spare tire ?

Them : Oh yeah, makes sense.....

End of conversation

Long Answer
    Skull : Thick (typical )

Them : Why do you feel you need to carry a gun ?

You : Why do you feel you need to carry a spare tire ?

Them :Yeah but a flat tire isnt going to hurt you.

You : 100% of vehicles manufactured come with a spare tire for a non life threatening situation. Isnt protecting your life more important than a spare tire ? It allows you to take care of the problem without having to call for help and hope it arrives in a timely matter.

Them : Are you talking about a spare tire or having a gun ?

You : yes

Them : umm

You : It's similar to having a portable jump starter in your car. The first time you need it, it pays for itself.

Them : The jump starter or a gun?

You : yes

Them : Yeah ok smart guy, but what happens if your car breaks down in the middle of the night on a dark road and its not a flat tire or just the battery and you need to call for help and your waiting........ for ........ oh, I get it now. Hey, where can I get one of those things ?

End of conversation
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

When seconds count, the Police are just minutes away !!

Banned
    The bad guys carry guns, why shouldn't I carry one?

Why do you need to carry a gun?
    We have a Bill of Rights, not a bill of needs.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 06-15-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Human instinct dating back to the beginning of man has been to protect yourself and your family. This tool provides me with that means.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Banned
    Even mice have the right to defend themselves, if you don't think so, then reach into a hole and try to grab one. Are you not greater than the mouse?

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Because I'm a big tuff guy ready to rid the world of all crime! Ive been told that once.

for protection of all that is good, to keep it short.
    Last edited by quarter horseman; 06-15-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling like usual

What is that?

"This is my declaration of independence"

Why do you carry a gun?

"To protect my family"

"For the same reason i wear a seat belt. I don't put on a seat belt hoping that i have an opportunity to use it to it's greatest potential....I wear it because i realize that statistically the chances are great that at least once in my life there will be a moment when the seat belt saves me from great bodily harm "

"nobody is more concerned about the safety and welfare of me and my family than I am"

"Why don't you?"

"because this is America"
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

When asked "Why do you need to carry a gun?" by someone with an anti gun attitude my reply is very simple....

"So you will have someone to hide behind when trouble starts."
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

It is my helicoptor lure.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Because I don't want to die at the hands of some punk, cringing in fear in the back of a 7-11.

No BG with a knife is ever going to make me do more than laugh in his face (even if I just have my knife, in fact, which I always do).

Since I don't walk too well, being car-jacked would be hella inconvenient.

It makes my girlfriend look tough to be packing a Ruger .357 magnum, while wearing some slinky outfit. And by tough I mean sexy.

I don't have a gun today, but it's alright, I have a tactical girlfriend (person's eyes get big as they turn and discover her, looking stern, at their 4 o'clock.)

Because being armed means I can decide if I want to fight today, or not.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Banned
    What are you compensating for?

"I left my rifle at home"

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post

No BG with a knife is ever going to make me do more than laugh in his face (even if I just have my knife, in fact, which I always do).
    Don't underestimate the knife. A skilled BG who can draw his knife from concealment and be at me within .7 seconds is one of my worse fears as a gun carrier.

I don't expect him to be brandishing it at me as he approaches at a walk pace -- that'd just be dumb of him.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    +1 a knife can be more dangerous than a gun is at close range. One of the first things my CPL instructor told us was to create distance in any conflict.

An old but a goodie....

Them... Why do you carry a gun..??
    Me.... Because a cop is to heavy...

Seriously, I usually just tell them for security.

And... depending on who's asking the question... I like the warm and fuzzy feeling I get when "she" is on my hip...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

We might need some pics for examination.. >.>

Banned

Thumbs up Good thread OP

Because safety and rights are both worth protecting.

Smile Snappy answer done with a smile.

1. Officer have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately? You'd be far too heavy for me to carry on my hip!

2. Why don't you need to carry a gun, - have you signed a treaty with criminals that makes you "off limits" to crime?

Because my infant daughter can't.

How about this:

Q. Why do you have a gun?

A. No reason and I hope it stays that way!

Leave 'em head scratchin.
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-17-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Because my life is worth protecting. That's the only answer needed. If someone responds to that with irate and irrational garbage, there likely isn't much use in attempting to have an intelligent conversation with them.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I need something heavy to offset the weight of my gigantic balls.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Don't underestimate the knife. A skilled BG who can draw his knife from concealment and be at me within .7 seconds is one of my worse fears as a gun carrier.

I don't expect him to be brandishing it at me as he approaches at a walk pace -- that'd just be dumb of him.
    Well, 30 years doing real fighting with sticks and live blades in FMA tells me I'm not that worried about some punk with a knife. If he gets close enough to prison shank me, then that's just the way it is. NO ONE can defend against a true ambush. In addition, I figure my partner will shoot him from his rear quarter while he focuses on me. I've trained and taught the J-hook type responses in the Tueller Drill, in an 'alive' mode (resistance and tunnel vision) but I thank you for reminding us.

It's never good to be over-confident, but maybe you can see my original point.
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 06-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

a gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Because I'm too old to fight, and too fat to run!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Why carry?

Why not? If I always carry it and never use it (which is how I want it) then perfect, if I ever need it I'll be very happy I have it.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

because they haven't invented anything that does the job faster than this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast