• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List your Snappy Answers re: "Why do you need to carry a gun" ?

Badger Johnson

Don't underestimate the knife. A skilled BG who can draw his knife from concealment and be at me within .7 seconds is one of my worse fears as a gun carrier.

I don't expect him to be brandishing it at me as he approaches at a walk pace -- that'd just be dumb of him.

Well, 30 years doing real fighting with sticks and live blades in FMA tells me I'm not that worried about some punk with a knife. If he gets close enough to prison shank me, then that's just the way it is. NO ONE can defend against a true ambush. In addition, I figure my partner will shoot him from his rear quarter while he focuses on me. I've trained and taught the J-hook type responses in the Tueller Drill, in an 'alive' mode (resistance and tunnel vision) but I thank you for reminding us.

It's never good to be over-confident, but maybe you can see my original point.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Why carry?

Why not? If I always carry it and never use it (which is how I want it) then perfect, if I ever need it I'll be very happy I have it.

eastmeyers

I've had Police Officers ask me, "What Model is that?
ME: 21. (glock)
Officer(s): What caliber is the 21?
ME: 45acp
Officer(s): Well that is kinda slow, those only go like 800ft per second, my(our) .40's go over a 1,000fps.
ME: Oh really, do you know any bad guys that can move or run faster than 800ft per second?
Officer(s): Well no (laughing).
Me: By the way officer (or fella's) I use .45acp+P's, which mean mine are faster, and bigger than yours, oh and how many rounds do your Sigs hold? Because I have 14 rounds of bigger, faster rounds, before I have to change a magazine. (then I just smile and laugh, they just smile and nod usually)
:monkey

(if the department I am talking to happen to be carrying glocks, or M&P's I usually leave out the capacity part)

Last edited:

the_hustleman

Depends on if they have a condescending tone or not.

If they do...

them: why do you carry that gun
Me: with all these krispey kreme stores, dunkin donuts, and various off brand donuts, cops have gotten way too heavy to keep on my belt!

Or "because I can now what? What are you going to do, run tell a cop? "

But if they are really interested

"because I never know when a threat may arise. I owe it to my wife and unborn child to ensure my safe return home. You should really consider it. "

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

NHCGRPR45

I need something heavy to offset the weight of my gigantic balls.

Nice!

a gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone

cops take minues when seconds count!

Because I'm too old to fight, and too fat to run!:banghead:
Like I said "only dangerous at arms reach" Yes I just quoted myself!;)

"because it weighs less than a tank"

FYI tanks are bullet magnets!!!:uhoh::lol:

Bailenforcer

If someone asks why I feel the need to carry, I will ask them why do they feel the need to exercise their first amendment rights on me? Then I might remind them that my gun protects their first amendment right to ask me that question.

Short Answer
Skull :Normal Thickness ( not typical )

Them : Why do you feel you need to carry a gun ?

You : Why do you feel you need to carry a spare tire ?

Them : Oh yeah, makes sense.....

End of conversation

Long Answer
Skull : Thick (typical )

Them : Why do you feel you need to carry a gun ?

You : Why do you feel you need to carry a spare tire ?

Them :Yeah but a flat tire isnt going to hurt you.

You : 100% of vehicles manufactured come with a spare tire for a non life threatening situation. Isnt protecting your life more important than a spare tire ? It allows you to take care of the problem without having to call for help and hope it arrives in a timely matter.

Them : Are you talking about a spare tire or having a gun ?

You : yes

Them : umm

You : It's similar to having a portable jump starter in your car. The first time you need it, it pays for itself.

Them : The jump starter or a gun?

You : yes

Them : Yeah ok smart guy, but what happens if your car breaks down in the middle of the night on a dark road and its not a flat tire or just the battery and you need to call for help and your waiting........ for :idea:........ oh, I get it now. Hey, where can I get one of those things ?

End of conversation :banana:

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I've always enjoyed the answer of: because I got a bad shoulder and can't throw a rock at 1,450 feet per second.

On a serious note, I usually use the seat belt or fire extinguisher analogy. It typically goes:

Them: "Why do you carry a gun? Do you expect to get into a gunfight?"
I counter with: "Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? Are you expecting a fire?"
Them: "Well, no. It's there just in case something happens"
Me: "Well, there's your answer then as to why I carry a gun".

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I carry it for the same reason you're worried about me me carrying it. In other words they're worried about me being a criminal and I am worried about running into criminal and having to defend myself.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"Why do you need to carry a gun?"

1. It causes stupid people to reveal themselves. When they see the gun they start asking me why I need to...

2. In case the voices come back.

(I'm in a mood tonight :D)