• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three Month Ammo Shelf Life?

We-the-People

This story probably traces it's roots to what is known as "Blair-Holt". A gun control measure that has been repeatedly presented at the federal level and repeatedly died without ever being considered. The danger is that one day, when we're not looking, it may go through. That's pretty much the motus operandi of any special interest group....keep trying and eventually you'll get a toe hold.

One of the items in Blair-Holt was/is powder and/or primers that had limited shelf life.....according to rumors anyway.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

I was talking with someone today about guns and she said that her and her husband got a notice from the NRA stating that there's a push to make ammo have a 3mo shelf life. Has anyone else heard about this? I tried to Google it but I couldn't find any more info on it other than a few other people have also heard this and that something similar was tried in the 90s but didn't go anywhere.

We hear this rumor almost annually anymore, just like the microstamping.

Sometimes I think the NRA regurgitates old information just to try to get a rise out of folks, generate funding, and generate membership. I've noticed the stuipd microstamping thing keeps circulating, if memory serves the latest sighting of that rumor was out of Massachusets. The source of that is unknown, but it's popped up on forums here and there.

Beretta92FSLady

I cycle my carry rounds every six months as the constant movement cannot be good for them.

I carry the same ammo for a year-or so then buy fresh ammo. How do I gauge when to buy fresh ammunition -when the ammunition is starting to discolor, and obviously look as though they have wear-and-tear.

When I clean my sidearm is when I take all of the ammunition out of all of my magazines, then put them back in in a not-specific order. The biggest issue that comes to mind is loading the same round over, and over again; over time the ball runs the risk of being pushed deeper into the casing. Well, and corrosion. Consider where you live (Seattle), and where you carry (under the arm, IWB, OWB, and how much you sweat.

We-the-People

I wish, Im on a fixed income. I reload, which allows me to shoot, but thats it.

A large portion of that ammo is 22LR (cheap and perfectly sufficient to bring small game to the table) though there is a good amount of defensive ammunition as well.

I also reload. I try to purchase .224 and .308 projectiles in bulk. The last purchase was 4000 55gr .224 for $298 shipped and 2000 145gr .308 for $266 shipped (all NEW no "pulled" stuff). Combined with once fired casings obtained from the local range for $0.03 (223 Rem) and $0.06 (.308), ammunition can be built up pretty inexpensively even for those weapons if one keeps their eyes and ears open.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was talking with someone today about guns and she said that her and her husband got a notice from the NRA stating that there's a push to make ammo have a 3mo shelf life.

Sounds like a scare tactic. Was it immediately above verbiage asking for more money to "fight this scourge?"

Last year I fired 50 rounds of two decades old ammunition without a single misfire. Auto-degrading ammunition would cause numerous misfires and mishaps. No ammunition manufacturer would ever risk the resulting lawsuits.