Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: To My May 1 Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Class

  1. #1
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Exclamation To My May 1 Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Class

    Dear Class:

    With the pace of SB93 going through the Senate and the fact that the Assembly may take it up as early as next week, if you have not yet sent in your Utah Permit Application please do so quickly. After Governor Walker signs a CFP bill and it becomes law, Utah will require you to have a Wisconsin permit in order to get a Utah Permit.

    It is not clear what States WI will enter into reciprocity with, but Utah is likely to be one of them because of its very strict background checks. Nevada and Florida have similar checks. However, with its high level of reciprocity, including Minnesota, the Utah permit may still have utility even if you have a new WI permit. Still, I will understand if many of you "wait and see" what the reciprocity picture will be like for the WI Permit.

    I have read the bill as amended and note that the training requirement is not very harsh at all. Any out-of-state CFP qualifies. And, the firearms familiarity portion of the Utah course I taught appears to comply as well. This is because I used the slides from the NRA Pistol course. I could create a Certificate attesting to that for all my students. (If the Assembly does not muck up SB93 very much.) Or, when I return to WI I can do a refresher classroom and the range portion of the NRA Pistol Course and issue the NRA Course Certificate.

    The Yellow Cat With the M-4 (Jim)
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  2. #2
    McX
    Guest
    Hi JPM, miss us yet? if we opt not to send in for the utah, we can use your class training certificate for hugs and kisses from the wisconsin dept. of permits?

  3. #3
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    I have about 40 days left for my Utah permit (I just sent it in a few weeks ago).
    Thanks so much for the great class, I would 100% be in on any others you might come back to give. This time I will try to pay you better.


    Thanks for looking out for us.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neenah
    Posts
    194
    Aaron, don't be expecting your Utah anytime soon, they are overwhelmed with applications. I took my class in early March and just got mine Tuesday. Still waiting on my FL.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Aaron, don't be expecting your Utah anytime soon, they are overwhelmed with applications. I took my class in early March and just got mine Tuesday. Still waiting on my FL.
    They have 60 days by statute. They wanted an extension after the last elections, and they didn't get it.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW WI
    Posts
    14
    In 2007 I took the Utah CC class in March and did not get the permit until September!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Greendale, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    42

    Cool Florida and Utah Permit

    I took my first class back in March of 2007 and received my Florida permit 45 days later. In March of 2009, I took another class (at a great price since I am retired military) and received my Utah permit in 40 days.

    I can see why Utah is being bogged down since they have tons of applications to process.

    I did not have to obtain any of the above permits since I was a Maritime Law Enforcement Officer with the Coast Guard. However, I felt it was my duty to go through the CCW training since it has been over eight years (from the first time I went through) that I retired. I consider myself a law abiding citizen just like yourselves.

    Both of the classes were very informative and both instructors made sure that the firearms safety were their first concern.

  8. #8
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Utah BCI is swamped right now because of the UTAH law that took effect on May 10 requiring all citizens of States that recognize the Utah permit and are shall issue states to have a home state permit before applying for a Utah permit.

    Thus, the Warning to my class to get their applications into the mail if they want a Utah permit because after the WI law becomes law, any citizen of WI fill first have to have a WI permit in order to get a UT permit. And, because the "training" requirements for a WI permit are a bit whimpy, I do not expect many States to accept the WI permit. If you travel or might in the future, the UT permit is the best in the Nation. (Some would argue that the FL permit is best, but that is only if you find yourself in FL because FL does not honor non-resident permits.)

    Carry on
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Utah BCI is swamped right now because of the UTAH law that took effect on May 10 requiring all citizens of States that recognize the Utah permit and are shall issue states to have a home state permit before applying for a Utah permit.

    Thus, the Warning to my class to get their applications into the mail if they want a Utah permit because after the WI law becomes law, any citizen of WI fill first have to have a WI permit in order to get a UT permit. And, because the "training" requirements for a WI permit are a bit whimpy, I do not expect many States to accept the WI permit. If you travel or might in the future, the UT permit is the best in the Nation. (Some would argue that the FL permit is best, but that is only if you find yourself in FL because FL does not honor non-resident permits.)

    Carry on
    So does that mean it will take longer than 60 days?
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

  10. #10
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    I'll let ya know if it does take over 60 days.
    From what I understand, it will not.
    I guess it's the "law" for Utah to get 'em done. It also sounds like Utah likes to do things by the book.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I'll let ya know if it does take over 60 days.
    From what I understand, it will not.
    I guess it's the "law" for Utah to get 'em done. It also sounds like Utah likes to do things by the book.
    That's what I'm saying. Lol. I sent mine in a month ago. However, Zeus claimed it took longer.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758

    60 days

    So, I asked my bank when my check that was sent out May 13th, and should have gotten to Utah on the 16th, was processed. Turns out, they processed the check on the 1st of June. So, I'm only 17 days in. I now better understand how the 60 days rule could confuse someone, myself included. Hopefully it'll show up in time for a trip I'm planning.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

  13. #13
    Regular Member phleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    66
    Where did you take the Utah class/who taught it?
    Member:
    GOA-Life, NRA, WCI.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    And, because the "training" requirements for a WI permit are a bit whimpy, I do not expect many States to accept the WI permit. If you travel or might in the future, the UT permit is the best in the Nation. (Some would argue that the FL permit is best, but that is only if you find yourself in FL because FL does not honor non-resident permits.)
    That's the next mess that's created.

    We're going to have a case where...what is it, Michigan (among others...substitute for another case if I'm wrong about MI here) only honors out of state permits from the holder's state of residence...

    Suppose they don't recognize WI permits. They only recognize MN for residents of MN. A WI resident could have WI & MN permits and not be able to carry in MI...but a MN resident with just his MN permit can.

    FUBAR.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Just outside Madistan
    Posts
    143

    Took the Utah CC class today

    I just got back from taking a Utah concealed carry course at Deerfield Pistol and Archery. The instructor was pretty well qualified, but stated that he did not like people being able to open carry without training. He didn't really state what he thought training should be, but I definitely believe he was talking about his type of training classes exclusively. I didn't get into it much because I didn't want to get escorted to the door before completion of the class.

    Little did he know that I am a retired military officer and have acted as the officer-in-charge for both live fire rifle and pistol qualification ranges (M2 .50 caliber machine gun ranges down to M9 (9mm) pistol ranges and also live fire MOUT training ranges. I know I didn't need to take the class for the Wisconsin CC permit, but I do want the ability to CC in those states with reciprocity.

    The instructor did say that he was good friends with Auric more than once.

    I will let you know how long it takes to get the Utah CC permit....

    Out here.
    Rick
    "Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you."

  16. #16
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    I heard a rumor and have observed that many employees there are Law Enforcement.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I just got back from taking a Utah concealed carry course at Deerfield Pistol and Archery. The instructor was pretty well qualified, but stated that he did not like people being able to open carry without training.
    I'm guessing he would make sure he was qualified to teach the class, and wants to make money off said classes.

    This is why I (especially) pay no attention to trainers who say training should be required.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    That's the next mess that's created.

    We're going to have a case where...what is it, Michigan (among others...substitute for another case if I'm wrong about MI here) only honors out of state permits from the holder's state of residence...

    Suppose they don't recognize WI permits. They only recognize MN for residents of MN. A WI resident could have WI & MN permits and not be able to carry in MI...but a MN resident with just his MN permit can.

    FUBAR.

    MI honors all resident permits....no reciprocity agreement necessary.

  19. #19
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by phleye View Post
    Where did you take the Utah class/who taught it?
    The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit class was held on Sunday, May 1, 2011 immediately following the open carry meet-n-greet at Starbucks in Delavan. It was held in a makeshift classroom at a hanger on the East Troy airport. I taught the class. One person elected to finish the NRA Pistol Course and receive a Certificate. There about 30 students and most were members of Wisconsin Carry or their spouses. The course fees were deeply discounted for Military, NRA members, and especially members of WI Carry.

    I may repeat this course in a month or two and offer similar discounts. I will likewise offer NRA First Steps (about 2 hours + Range) or the more involved NRA Pistol Course (6 - 8 hours + 4 range; depending on the student's skill level.)

    I expect WI to recognize many out-of-state permits. The matter of other states recognizing the WI permit remains to be seen. Thus, a UT or FL permit may yet have utility for those who travel or may travel in the future. It will be interesting to see how the other states react to the WI permit.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  20. #20
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Without question, if you come back I would love to take your NRA Pistol Course.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit class was held on Sunday, May 1, 2011 immediately following the open carry meet-n-greet at Starbucks in Delavan. It was held in a makeshift classroom at a hanger on the East Troy airport. I taught the class. One person elected to finish the NRA Pistol Course and receive a Certificate. There about 30 students and most were members of Wisconsin Carry or their spouses. The course fees were deeply discounted for Military, NRA members, and especially members of WI Carry.

    I may repeat this course in a month or two and offer similar discounts. I will likewise offer NRA First Steps (about 2 hours + Range) or the more involved NRA Pistol Course (6 - 8 hours + 4 range; depending on the student's skill level.)

    I expect WI to recognize many out-of-state permits. The matter of other states recognizing the WI permit remains to be seen. Thus, a UT or FL permit may yet have utility for those who travel or may travel in the future. It will be interesting to see how the other states react to the WI permit.
    Count me in on this class as I missed the last one by arriving at the (East Troy) Airport a little late and got lock out of the hangar area by the security gate...

    Thanks for all you do... It does not go un-noticed...

    Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 06-27-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  22. #22
    McX
    Guest
    found a recent pic of JPM, damn that guy gets to go everywhere!

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    Thanks for getting my hopes up "mex"! I was hoping someone had received their permission slip, so I could guess when l get mine. I know, I know, 60 days by statue. But the 60th day is kinda sorta when I need it for a visit to a state that requires one... Meh...
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

  24. #24
    Regular Member IcrewUH60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Verona, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    I heard a rumor and have observed that many employees there are Law Enforcement.
    +1

    I visited once. Haven't been back in over 4 years. Got a "strange" feeling while I was there.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

    "[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

    gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

  25. #25
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    Thanks for getting my hopes up "mex"! I was hoping someone had received their permission slip, so I could guess when l get mine. I know, I know, 60 days by statue. But the 60th day is kinda sorta when I need it for a visit to a state that requires one... Meh...
    My credit card was charged about 32 days ago. I bet I get it in hand in about 25 more days. I'll try to post when I do get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •