• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To My May 1 Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Class

Outdoorsman1

The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit class was held on Sunday, May 1, 2011 immediately following the open carry meet-n-greet at Starbucks in Delavan. It was held in a makeshift classroom at a hanger on the East Troy airport. I taught the class. One person elected to finish the NRA Pistol Course and receive a Certificate. There about 30 students and most were members of Wisconsin Carry or their spouses. The course fees were deeply discounted for Military, NRA members, and especially members of WI Carry.

I may repeat this course in a month or two and offer similar discounts. I will likewise offer NRA First Steps (about 2 hours + Range) or the more involved NRA Pistol Course (6 - 8 hours + 4 range; depending on the student's skill level.)

I expect WI to recognize many out-of-state permits. The matter of other states recognizing the WI permit remains to be seen. Thus, a UT or FL permit may yet have utility for those who travel or may travel in the future. It will be interesting to see how the other states react to the WI permit.

Count me in on this class as I missed the last one by arriving at the (East Troy) Airport a little late and got lock out of the hangar area by the security gate...

Thanks for all you do... It does not go un-noticed...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Mlutz

Thanks for getting my hopes up "mex"! I was hoping someone had received their permission slip, so I could guess when l get mine. I know, I know, 60 days by statue. But the 60th day is kinda sorta when I need it for a visit to a state that requires one... Meh...

AaronS

Thanks for getting my hopes up "mex"! I was hoping someone had received their permission slip, so I could guess when l get mine. I know, I know, 60 days by statue. But the 60th day is kinda sorta when I need it for a visit to a state that requires one... Meh...

My credit card was charged about 32 days ago. I bet I get it in hand in about 25 more days. I'll try to post when I do get it.

Jason in WI

Got mine delivered to them on the ninth of May, they charged my card on the twentieth. I received the permit on the seventh or eighth of July (i'm not 100% certain when it came). They must be behind because it came with a letter saying it was still subject to a clean check and acceptable prints from the FBI or something to that effect.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mlutz

Got mine delivered to them on the ninth of May, they charged my card on the twentieth. I received the permit on the seventh or eighth of June (i'm not 100% certain when it came). They must be behind because it came with a letter saying it was still subject to a clean check and acceptable prints from the FBI or something to that effect.

That's 18 days. That's super fast...

Jason in WI

That's 18 days. That's super fast...

Lol..... Sorry, I meant July. :) When I get home i'll try and verify the time line as I know a bunch of you guys are waiting. I'M sure we will have a ton of count down threads when the WI permits are in the mail.

Last edited:

jpm84092

found a recent pic of JPM, damn that guy gets to go everywhere!

Thanks McX. I got a chuckle out of that one.

I would like folks to post when they applied and when they got their UT permits.

And, I continue to encourage those of you who took the UT CFP Course, but have not yet applied for a UT permit to do so, particularly if you live near or ever visit MN. There has been considerable discussion on the forum regarding whether or not MN will recognize a WI Permit given the differences between the MN Permit Training Requirement and the much more wimpy WI training requirement. In the event that MN does not recognize a WI Permit, having a UT non-resident permit will get you into MN.

Carry on...

Mlutz

Sent in my application on May 13th. They processed it June 1st. I recieved the permit on July 16th.
46 days from processed to delivered. Add 18 days of my application being sent and sitting at BCI, 64 days. Looks like after shipping, they took the full 60 days. But, now I have it for my trip. :-D

Mlutz

Thanks again jpm. :) I was planning on using it for my Wisconsin permit.

jpm84092

Since no others who took my May 1 class have posted, you have the distinction of being the first of that class to get a UTAH permission slip. Again, my Congratulations are in order.

Mlutz

Since no others who took my May 1 class have posted, you have the distinction of being the first of that class to get a UTAH permission slip. Again, my Congratulations are in order.

Jason sent his in before me... But thanks. :-D

MKEgal

Teej said:
Michigan (among others) only honors out of state permits from the holder's state of residence.
Suppose they don't recognize WI permits.
That makes no sense.
Your first statement is right, MI honors all permits if the carrier is a resident of the state which issued it.
See this PDF from www.handgunlaw.us

So why would they recognize, say, PA or IN (which only require a background check),
yet not recognize WI (with its admittedly whimpy 'training' requirement)?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
That makes no sense.
Your first statement is right, MI honors all permits if the carrier is a resident of the state which issued it.
See this PDF from www.handgunlaw.us

So why would they recognize, say, PA or IN (which only require a background check),
yet not recognize WI (with its admittedly whimpy 'training' requirement)?
Don't say "whimpy", say "Streamlined"! :lol:

mrjam2jab

Don't say "whimpy", say "Streamlined"! :lol:

5_facebook-like-button-thumb-400x400-101976.jpg

AaronS

It came!!!!

Ok, so my credit card was charged 6-13-11, and I just got it today 7-25-11. Not to bad if you ask me.
Now to keep it "working" I will have to get the Wisconsin as soon as it comes out, or I think the Utah dies... Good thing the Utah will work to get the Wisconsin.

Damn permission slips will run me over $100 every 5 years now...

JPM, please let us know when you will come back for more classes (I might need a little more then 12 hours notice ;) ). I have three people that will need to take a class, and I would still like to take a few more as well.