• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tragicly ten deaths hardly cause a ripple. The media were on holiday as well.

Haz.

Good morning from Down Under. The land of the 'unarmed' uh'm / free, where any form of armed self defence had been declared illegal.

Its is now three days since we celebrated the Queens birthday. All states except Western Australia celebrate this annual event with a three day long weekend from Friday sunset till dawn Tuesday. Its not unusual for our road toll to greatly increase over this time as people tend to travel to vaious holiday resorts for the break.

To get to the meat of what I would like to show people on this board, common sense tells the average joe that firearms are no more dangerous, evil, or able to self animate than any tool in the workshop or garden shed. The same can be said about motor vehicles.

Yet, as early as Sunday 12/6/2011, tradgicly, ten people have died on our roads this Queens birthday long weekend and, for the anties down under not one gun in site. And the news papers, TV, and radio have remained relatively silent.

I have been daily listening intently to most of the major news services and so far, nothing of any signifence regarding this annual road carnage has been mentioned so far and up untill this morning.

Imagin the hype if ten people had been killed by criminals using firearms this Queens birthday weekend. Firearm related crimes especially if anyone has been injured or killed recieve headline news for several days on end bring out all the anties, Greens, and fun police, all calling for tougher firearms laws even though we have the toughest laws in the western world.

ABC Sunday 12/6/11 6:31am.

Long weekend road toll rises to 10

The nation's long weekend road toll now stands at 10 after another fatal crash in New South Wales..... Published: 12/6/11 6:31am in ABC;

Link:

http://www.hotheadlines.com.au/redir...0&artid=834639

eye95

For those suddenly thinking that something in the Aussie water gives people precognitive abilities, 12/6/2011 is June 12th, not December 6th. In the World of the Upside Down, dates are backwards. Of course, the local heads-point-the-way-our-feet-do types see backwards dates as forwards. ;)

On topic: Even in the US, where the RKBA still, to some extent, exists, traffic deaths way outnumber gun deaths, with much less fretting about the highway carnage, despite none of it serving a useful purpose, as opposed to gun "violence," some of which is decidedly warranted and monumentally helpful to society at large.

Extra credit: Diagram the above sentence.

Haz.

For those suddenly thinking that something in the Aussie water gives people precognitive abilities, 12/6/2011 is June 12th, not December 6th. In the World of the Upside Down, dates are backwards. Of course, the local heads-point-the-way-our-feet-do types see backwards dates as forwards. ;)

On topic: Even in the US, where the RKBA still, to some extent, exists, traffic deaths way outnumber gun deaths, with much less fretting about the highway carnage, despite none of it serving a useful purpose, as opposed to gun "violence," some of which is decidedly warranted and monumentally helpful to society at large.

Extra credit: Diagram the above sentence.

Lol, its true eye95, they do everything backwards here. 12th day of the sixth month? I'm surprised they dont start news items year, day, month (2011/12/6). News items re road deaths here last about as long as a snowflake on a hot summers day.

Fallschirjmäger

Aw c'mon... MOST (at least 10x as many) of the world puts the date in the form of Day/Month/Year... except for those that do Year/Month/Day.

We're in the very small minority that uses the month first. Then again we have that weird Imperial measurement system that the rest of the civilized world gave up on years ago.

Last edited: