• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State v Budic

sigfan

I just watched arguments on State of Washington v Kenneth Budic in the Washington Supreme court that were presented on 6/14. Case number was 84714-2 if anyone wants to dig into the details.

Summary is this, Mr Budik was the passenger in a vehicle. The driver of the vehicle was a known gang member. During the course of the evening, a rival gang approached the vehicle and shot both Mr Budik and the driver. The driver died and Mr Budik was bleeding. Police approached in response to a call. They asked Mr Budik if he knew who shot him and he said "no". He also asked police to go protect his family. The police did send members to protect the familiy but also continued the investigation.

During the course of the investigation into the incident, they learned that Mr Budik did, in fact, know who shot him. They charged him with "rendering criminal assistance in the first degree" (9A.76.070)

(1) A person is guilty of rendering criminal assistance in the first degree if he or she renders criminal assistance to a person who has committed or is being sought for murder in the first degree or any class A felony or equivalent juvenile offense.
(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, rendering criminal assistance in the first degree is a class B felony.
(b) Rendering criminal assistance in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor if it is established by a preponderance of the evidence that the actor is a relative as defined in RCW 9A.76.060 and under the age of eighteen at the time of the offense.

Mr Budik was not a family member so that strikes all of subsection (2). What the court seemed concerned with was wether this granted the police rights to easily abuse this power. They asked what would have happened if he simply gave them blank looks and didn't answer at all. They were concerned that anyone who simply exercised their constitutional rights to remain quiet would also be affected by this. The definition of "Rendering criminal assistance" is found in 9A.76.050.

As used in RCW 9A.76.070, 9A.76.080, and 9A.76.090, a person "renders criminal assistance" if, with intent to prevent, hinder, or delay the apprehension or prosecution of another person who he knows has committed a crime or juvenile offense or is being sought by law enforcement officials for the commission of a crime or juvenile offense or has escaped from a detention facility, he:
(1) Harbors or conceals such person; or
(2) Warns such person of impending discovery or apprehension; or
(3) Provides such person with money, transportation, disguise, or other means of avoiding discovery or apprehension; or
(4) Prevents or obstructs, by use of force, deception, or threat, anyone from performing an act that might aid in the discovery or apprehension of such person; or (5) Conceals, alters, or destroys any physical evidence that might aid in the discovery or apprehension of such person; or
(6) Provides such person with a weapon.

The justices (and prosecution) were set on part 4 of the definition and more specifically hung on the word "deception" since he stated that he didn't know the person. The prosecution's argument was that because Mr Budik said "no" the police were obstructed from finding the person who shot them. The defense argument was very interesting and the justices seemed to be buying into it. First, Mr Budik was the victim of a crime. His answers would likely be shakey at this point regardless. (side note: this is why you need to practice over and over what you'd say if you were ever involved in a shooting). Second, Mr Budik's testimony, even if false, was not necessarily deception. Saying "no" would be different than saying "Yes, and he went THAT WAY [pointing in a different direction]." This was supported by the legistion that ours was drawn from. Third, although she does not challenge the constitutionality of the law, she does state that the vaguness needs further definition and clarification through legal precident to keep it from wandering into unconstitutional territory.

The justices seemed to worry that this would have broad reaching applications if they affirmed Mr Badik's jury conviction. Was Mr Budik's false statement itself coerced (men approaching with weapons drawn right after he was shot). Would you prevent victims from giving statements in the future out of fear that you may slip up and end up with a felony. They also had concern that the man would be charged with a felony for simply saying he didn't know the man -- which apparently had no material information which would obstruct the police.

The arguments were great and I liked where the justices seemed to be leaning (reversal of his guilty verdict). The verdict hasn't been decided yet, but it will be worth watching.

So why am I posting this here? I believe this case could have implications on some of us who may have the unfortunate incident that requires us to use our firearm. Massad Ayoob has often said that police are compelled to give information after they shoot someone. They are required to answer a set of questions that are designed to help police understand if there are other things they should be looking at, but without putting the police in jeopardy of criminal prosecution because of it. Because these answers are compelled, they are not legal testimony. We, however, don't have the same luxury. If ths conviction is upheld, stating "I'm willing to talk with you in 48 hours with my attorney" could land you in hot water. It's worth watching and I hope it's overturned.

Thanks for listening to my very sleepy message. I hope I made some sense. I'll update tomorrow if it didn't make sense. Thanks again.

sudden valley gunner

Good post Sig.

This whole thing is a circus. He should have never been charged at all. This is a classic example of those in "Law Enforcement" pushing for more control. They want all who don't cooperate with them to be viewed as criminals. (Even though apparently this guy was). Hopefully the judges disappoint them.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

.........If ths conviction is upheld, stating "I'm willing to talk with you in 48 hours with my attorney" could land you in hot water. It's worth watching and I hope it's overturned...........

I don't think he would have been charged if he simply refused to answer the question.
Refusing to answer and lying are two completely different things.

I don't see how refusing to answer can meet any of the criteria that you quoted. It certainly is not deceptive.

It seems he would have been much better off either identifying the man who shot him, or refusing to talk to the police at all.

tombrewster421

I don't think he would have been charged if he simply refused to answer the question.
Refusing to answer and lying are two completely different things.

I don't see how refusing to answer can meet any of the criteria that you quoted. It certainly is not deceptive.

It seems he would have been much better off either identifying the man who shot him, or refusing to talk to the police at all.

I know the police uncovered that he knew the person who shot him, but how does anyone know that he actually saw who it was and recognized him at the time? It's possible that he didn't get a look at the guy and simply wanted his family watched because he knew that it was most likely a rival gang member. Knowing a person and knowing who it was that shot you are two completely different things.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I too believe he would have been fine not saying anything at all. IMO, the lie is whats being looked at as deceptive.

Bo

Second, Mr Budik's testimony, even if false, was not necessarily deception.
Some would argue otherwise. In the minds of many, withholding the truth is just as bad as telling a lie.

Furthermore, if one subscribes to the notion of the social contract, citizens have a responsibility to be good citizens, which means doing the right thing. Absent any compelling factors (which I do not consider to mean the "no-snitch" current "code" of the streets) to not come forward with the truth in aid of an investigation, one can argue that the good citizen should speak the truth in furtherance of his society's efforts to bring a murderer to justice.

It's hypocritical to continue one's public bleating that cops are bad for not always being truthful, then excusing a citizen (let alone a gang member) for withholding the truth.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Massad Ayoob has often said that police are compelled to give information after they shoot someone. They are required to answer a set of questions that are designed to help police understand if there are other things they should be looking at, but without putting the police in jeopardy of criminal prosecution because of it. Because these answers are compelled, they are not legal testimony. We, however, don't have the same luxury. If ths conviction is upheld, stating "I'm willing to talk with you in 48 hours with my attorney" could land you in hot water. It's worth watching and I hope it's overturned.

Thanks for listening to my very sleepy message. I hope I made some sense. I'll update tomorrow if it didn't make sense. Thanks again.

I have read a few of Massad's books along with attending his course in the Judicious Use of Deadly Force and your statement could not be further from what was taught.

Massad has stated to the best of my recollection is that Police Departments recommend to their officers when involved in a shooting to take time to talk with an attorney and then make themselves available.
The basic information to provide is who, where, evidence and witnesses and a short statement that You were in fear of your life and once I have time to contact an attorney I will make my self available for questioning. He also noted that during this time many will try and seek out approval for what just happened and when doing this people have a tendency to alter the story some to gain support and those altered information will bring doubt into the rest of the facts and you as a witness.

Don't just take my word for it, I found a link to his DVD on the issue.
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/NNSDJudLethalfull.htm

sirpuma

During the course of the investigation into the incident, they learned that Mr Budik did, in fact, know who shot him. They charged him with "rendering criminal assistance in the first degree" (9A.76.070)

Mr Budik was not a family member so that strikes all of subsection (2). What the court seemed concerned with was wether this granted the police rights to easily abuse this power. They asked what would have happened if he simply gave them blank looks and didn't answer at all. They were concerned that anyone who simply exercised their constitutional rights to remain quiet would also be affected by this. The definition of "Rendering criminal assistance" is found in 9A.76.050.

I will have to disagree with you on two points. One, him not being a family member of the assailant does not negate section 2 of 9A.76.070, it simply means that the crime is a class B felony instead of a gross misdemeanor. Think of a math or computer equation following the IF/THEN pattern. IF subject does this crime THEN crime type is A. IF subject is related to suspect THEN crime type is B.

Two, he lied to police, that is blatant deception. Had he simply remained silent, they could not have charged him. But by lying to police and saying he didn't know when he did he also concealed information evidence (yeah I know, not physical but still concealing evidence.)

The charge has nothing to do with the events other than the fact that the shooting victim lied to police thus hampering their investigation. I'm sure he lied so that he could have the chance at revenge.

Now personally if I was in his situation I would have lawyered up and told the police that I would not answer any questions until consulting with my attorney and not without him/her being present during questioning. You can refuse to answer questions and it does not constitute lying to police.

Last edited:

Thundar

Some would argue otherwise. In the minds of many, withholding the truth is just as bad as telling a lie.

Furthermore, if one subscribes to the notion of the social contract, citizens have a responsibility to be good citizens, which means doing the right thing. Absent any compelling factors (which I do not consider to mean the "no-snitch" current "code" of the streets) to not come forward with the truth in aid of an investigation, one can argue that the good citizen should speak the truth in furtherance of his society's efforts to bring a murderer to justice.

It's hypocritical to continue one's public bleating that cops are bad for not always being truthful, then excusing a citizen (let alone a gang member) for withholding the truth.

Just remember Bo,

No good deed goes unpunished.

sigfan

I have signed no such social contract so go ahead and null and void the rest of your statement. Compelling factors for not talking to the police are upheld in many US supreme court cases which have stated that you should not talk to the police -- even if innocent. Your statement that witholding information is tantamount to a lie is exactly why we are in jeopardy here. If you can make that argument, so can the prosecution. If you can appeal to emotion of a jury on that statement, you just might win. Witholding information is a right (as in, you have the right to remain silent -- as in the 5th ammendment).

Cops not being truthful is bad because they are paid for with public money and is therefor subject to public scrutiny. Me being untruthful or , more likely, being silent is my own damn business and is constitutionally protected sideways, backwards and upwards.

sigfan

I have read a few of Massad's books along with attending his course in the Judicious Use of Deadly Force and your statement could not be further from what was taught.
Massad has stated to the best of my recollection is that Police Departments recommend to their officers when involved in a shooting to take time to talk with an attorney and then make themselves available.
The basic information to provide is who, where, evidence and witnesses and a short statement that You were in fear of your life and once I have time to contact an attorney I will make my self available for questioning. He also noted that during this time many will try and seek out approval for what just happened and when doing this people have a tendency to alter the story some to gain support and those altered information will bring doubt into the rest of the facts and you as a witness.

Don't just take my word for it, I found a link to his DVD on the issue.
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/NNSDJudLethalfull.htm

I know your normal schtick is to disagree with whatever anyone but yourself ;) .. so let me see if I can shed more clarification on my statement.

1. YES, his courses tell CITIZENS to do exactly as you say.
  2. YES, his courses say that police officers are told to talk to an attorney first before giving a statement.

What I am stating is that in there is a list of questions that they are REQUIRED to answer or they will lose their badge. This information was backed up by a Seattle Police officer I had an encouter with at a gun meeting. The answers, because they are compelled, are not usable in court but are required to make sure the scene is secure and safe from further need to respond. Again, I'll look for the cite on this but am uncertain if this is RCW, union contract, or employment agreement. I'll get in touch with that officer (though it pains me to do so) and ask for the cite.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
What I am stating is that in there is a list of questions that they are REQUIRED to answer or they will lose their badge. This information was backed up by a Seattle Police officer I had an encouter with at a gun meeting. The answers, because they are compelled, are not usable in court but are required to make sure the scene is secure and safe from further need to respond. Again, I'll look for the cite on this but am uncertain if this is RCW, union contract, or employment agreement. I'll get in touch with that officer (though it pains me to do so) and ask for the cite.

Good luck in finding something that does not exist.

As to required to answer questions right after a shooting is limited as to Who, What, Where, When and a brief statement of self defense though when it comes to being questioned, they still maintain the right as any other citizen and has not given up their rights.
I know a Chief of Police once the basics are given he tells them not to discuss it any future until he/she has had a chance to talk with a lawyer and respects the same for citizens.

The concept of not notifying law enforcement of who just shot me is beyond me as I would want that SOB arrested and put a way. The mentality of not telling law enforcement of such crimes, like it or not is contributing to more of the same.

sudden valley gunner

I have signed no such social contract so go ahead and null and void the rest of your statement. Compelling factors for not talking to the police are upheld in many US supreme court cases which have stated that you should not talk to the police -- even if innocent. Your statement that witholding information is tantamount to a lie is exactly why we are in jeopardy here. If you can make that argument, so can the prosecution. If you can appeal to emotion of a jury on that statement, you just might win. Witholding information is a right (as in, you have the right to remain silent -- as in the 5th ammendment).

Cops not being truthful is bad because they are paid for with public money and is therefor subject to public scrutiny. Me being untruthful or , more likely, being silent is my own damn business and is constitutionally protected sideways, backwards and upwards.

+1

But of course many cops would love to see the fourth and fifth amendments done away with.......typical.

I'd love someone to show me anywhere in the constitution where it says the people can't lie to cops (oh wait the founders would be disgusted at this standing army of police). Yet cops commit crimes all the time and we are suppose to just accept that.....

amlevin

Compelling factors for not talking to the police are upheld in many US supreme court cases which have stated that you should not talk to the police -- even if innocent.

Because you mentioned "many US Supreme Court Cases" perhaps you would be so kind as to cite at least one or two where it has been stated that you should not talk to the Police.

Bo

I have signed no such social contract
So, you don't believe that you have any responsibilities as a citizen. You can simply go through your life picking and choosing which amenities and privileges that come to you to enjoy, mostly gratis, by virture of your good fortune in having been born here ...

You don't need to vote then, you don't need to do anything to participate and perpetuate the working aspects of your society, you need do nothing to assist your fellow citizens ... such as participating in the society's chosen legal system in bringing a criminal to justice ... you feel compelled to do exactly naught to help out those nasty agents of the state, even when they are seeking to do something for the greater good ... No need to participate in the PTA, even if the city is educating your children for free; no need to obey traffic laws (too much chance of getting pulled over by a rogue cop), even though you drive the public roadways (mostly) in this state for free.

I submit that if you were truly such a champion of individual rights, you might consider a little scholarship vis a vis how our Founding Fathers felt about a citizen's responsibilities -- and the notion of a social contract weighed heavily upon the original philosophy invested in both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Read some of the political philosphers' whose works so influenced the founders of our nation.

Nope, no need to tell the truth. Just leave it to the citizens that do believe that citizenship comes encumbered with a few responsbilities to step up and take up the slack left by the folks that want only to enjoy the benefits of citizenship without having to actually be good citizens.
Yet cops commit crimes all the time and we are suppose to just accept
that.....
You see anyone say anything like that in this thread? Really? C'mon now, your usual prejudice is showing.

Last edited:

amlevin

. No need to participate in the PTA, even if the city is educating your children for free; [/I]

For free? Guess what? I am paying through the @$$ to support public schools and I haven't had a kid in one of them for over 30 years. Don't give me any BS about how I am benefiting from the work done in schools done today. When I had people come an apply for jobs the majority were incapable of making common math calculations, reading a simple book of instructions, and had no clue as to what acceptable grooming was for a Retail environment. These were all High School Graduates too.

Don't give me the "educating your children for free rhetoric. We all pay and dearly because the product the schools turn out is flawed. If a manufacturer had the same failure rate nobody would buy their product.

The "social contract" you referred to works both way. Those that "take the bucks" should feel obligated to give back a finished product.

sudden valley gunner

So, you don't believe that you have any responsibilities as a citizen. You can simply go through your life picking and choosing which amenities and privileges that come to you to enjoy, mostly gratis, by virture of your good fortune in having been born here ...

Uh Duh......yes I believe that.....and don't buy into socialist thinking I owe this country or anybody anything. Welcome to liberty....Now this doesn't mean I am not helpful to others when I can.

You don't need to vote then ( I don't vote they give me a choice between two loosers) you don't need to do anything to participate and perpetuate the working aspects of your society, you need do nothing to assist your fellow citizens ... (already covered) such as participating in the society's chosen legal system in bringing a criminal to justice (the legal system is not the legal system this country is founded upon, and yes I'll participate in jury nullification to try to nullify most your ridiculous freedom killing laws)... you feel compelled to do exactly naught to help out those nasty agents of the state, even when they are seeking to do something for the greater good (propaganda, those nasty agents rarely "help" and spend most the time as revenue collectors and traffic enforcement)... No need to participate in the PTA, even if the city is educating your children for free; ( covered well by Amlevin) no need to obey traffic laws (too much chance of getting pulled over by a rogue cop), even though you drive the public roadways (mostly) in this state for free. (Again are you kidding me? We pay dearly and overpay for these roads through high taxes on gas etc., Yet you buy into the statist thinking its a priviledge, and this has nothing to do with what is being tallked about actually this whole paragraph is a misdirection, stick to the topic)

I submit that if you were truly such a champion of individual rights, you might consider a little scholarship vis a vis how our Founding Fathers felt about a citizen's responsibilities (I recommend you do the same, because they wrote the 4th and 5th :rolleyes:) -- and the notion of a social contract weighed heavily upon the original philosophy invested in both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. (You are mislead there is no social contract to state or country other than to defend it when it is under attack. These legal documents were founded under Blackstone, English Freeman law, not statism) Read some of the political philosphers' whose works so influenced the founders of our nation. (like Blackstone?)

Nope, no need to tell the truth. Just leave it to the citizens that do believe that citizenship comes encumbered with a few responsbilities to step up and take up the slack left by the folks that want only to enjoy the benefits of citizenship without having to actually be good citizens. Again socialist, statist thinking. The founding fathers didn't define a benefit to citizens they defined human rights government can't touch. They loved and promoted liberty and lack of intrusion of government into peoples lives.

You see anyone say anything like that in this thread? Really? C'mon now, your usual prejudice is showing.

Yes I do your statement that not saying anything is just as bad as lying.....this shows your prejudice and how you would love to reduce our rights to make your job easier. Especially when the courts have allowed cops to lie in the course of their investigation, they also over look the felonious bribes offered by prosecutors etc. in acquiring witnesses and plea bargains. They also over look the perjury (another felony) committed by cops daily on their police reports and in court.

This particular case would also be disgusting to our founders I firmly believe they wouldn't have cared if a "civilian" lied to a law enforcement officer especially since our laws and justice system was originally put in place to protect citizens from the government and not the other way around. They would also be very disgusted at how the system ignores the requirement of both actus reas and mens rea be present for there to be a crime.

And I didn't mean to hide my prejudice at all and openly admit I am not a fan of unconstitutional proactive law enforcement.

Last edited:

jt59

Yes I do your statement that not saying anything is just as bad as lying.....this shows your prejudice and how you would love to reduce our rights to make your job easier. Especially when the courts have allowed cops to lie in the course of their investigation, they also over look the felonious bribes offered by prosecutors etc. in acquiring witnesses and plea bargains. They also over look the perjury (another felony) committed by cops daily on their police reports and in court.

This particular case would also be disgusting to our founders I firmly believe they wouldn't have cared if a "civilian" lied to a law enforcement officer especially since our laws and justice system was originally put in place to protect citizens from the government and not the other way around. They would also be very disgusted at how the system ignores the requirement of both actus reas and mens rea be present for there to be a crime.

And I didn't mean to hide my prejudice at all and openly admit I am not a fan of unconstitutional proactive law enforcement.

Good post......Not much more to add here...except it made think about this:

Last year I paid $13,600 in property tax...also no kids in school for over 23 years