• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State v Budic

Wolfebane

I wonder if this is applicable.

I've encountered situations where something happened to me and I had no idea who did it at the time, but then later it turned out that I did, in fact, know who did it - just didn't know it at the time.

If this is the case, would be hard to prove but the burden of proof is on the state, defense just has to prove reasonable doubt, there should have been no charges filed at all.

Good post......Not much more to add here...except it made think about this:

Last year I paid $13,600 in property tax...also no kids in school for over 23 years

$13,600! talk about a buttload of property, I own a two story house on 5 acres and only have to pay about $2,500 a year in prop tax - either you do have a lot of property or high valued property or your jurisdiction is way screwing it's people.

Last edited:

amlevin

I've encountered situations where something happened to me and I had no idea who did it at the time, but then later it turned out that I did, in fact, know who did it - just didn't know it at the time.

If this is the case, would be hard to prove but the burden of proof is on the state, defense just has to prove reasonable doubt, there should have been no charges filed at all.

$13,600! talk about a buttload of property, I own a two story house on 5 acres and only have to pay about $2,500 a year in prop tax - either you do have a lot of property or high valued property or your jurisdiction is way screwing it's people.

Chances are that if you owned that 5 acres in a city like Seattle or Tacoma, you'd have to put a couple of zero's on the end of your tax bill.

I have a friend who owns 10 acres in Eastern Washington that pays about $500 per year in property tax. Of course there is no paved access road for miles, no power, no water, no fire protection, and police response time is measured in hours.

It's all relative.

jt59

$13,600! talk about a buttload of property,

- either you do have: 1. a lot of property or 2. high valued property or 3. your jurisdiction is way screwing it's people.

Answers: 1. Yes, but not by choice (thanks Barney Frank)....2. not really........3. yes, although property values have been assessed downward, surprisingly, tax assessment increases per/$M have mysteriously gone up and so we are paying essentially what we did before the downturn.

The additional misery and downside to the double dip is that when values do eventually increase, there will be a upward ratcheting of taxes paid on the increasing values that won't be recognized by most....and explained away by politicians as the impact of inflation.

sudden valley gunner

Chances are that if you owned that 5 acres in a city like Seattle or Tacoma, you'd have to put a couple of zero's on the end of your tax bill.

I have a friend who owns 10 acres in Eastern Washington that pays about $500 per year in property tax. Of course there is no paved access road for miles, no power, no water, no fire protection, and police response time is measured in hours.

It's all relative.

Sounds like heaven! :D

sudden valley gunner

I grew up in the Okanogan. It IS heaven.....unless you're the type that relies on civil services for things....

If you are the independent type, there are great places over there for about $500 an acre...

I seriously should have bought when I had money.....I like to be close to an ocean for some reason though.

Actually maybe I should still buy.

Last edited: